• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

Something decided that the raspberry bushes looked like a great snack option- my first thought was one of the moose (we have an adult cow that calves every 2 years and her 2 year old that pass thru regularly). Elk (resident herd that frequents our place) and mule deer are also options.  The petunias planted at the top of the driveway(literally outside the front door) were stripped of their flowers, again, too. (That's most likely the deer).

20240822_064721.thumb.jpg.fe8e9b789196d7e2cff922ecb009876f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

26 minutes ago, YvetteMT said:

Something decided that the raspberry bushes looked like a great snack option- my first thought was one of the moose (we have an adult cow that calves every 2 years and her 2 year old that pass thru regularly). Elk (resident herd that frequents our place) and mule deer are also options.  The petunias planted at the top of the driveway(literally outside the front door) were stripped of their flowers, again, too. (That's most likely the deer).

Great spot for a trail cam.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Great spot for a trail cam.   

We have a number of cameras, none pointed at the raspberries tho. (the nearest being 60 feet up the fence to the right. but its pointed across/up the hill). The driveway camera will show the petunia culprits tho. One night last year partner woke me at 2am "Theres a moose eating the strawberries!"  (I love moose, seriously LOVE them).  I stumbled to the dining room to peer out the window and there was a mule deer buck...  He swore up and down there was a moose while I swore that if he woke me up again, there'd be hell to pay. I went back to bed with him following me saying that he knew the difference and damn it, there was a moose. He zinged open the bedroom blinds (that face the hill with the camera) and there was the moose. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2024 at 11:11 PM, YvetteMT said:

I had raspberries planted in the garden beside the horse pen. I would have thought that the thorns would have dissuaded them, but no. I have planted butternut, zucchini, and cucumbers in that area since. Zuke haven't been very successful, never got a cuke, and the horses have had to content themselves with the butternut that grow through the fence.

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Starting getting my indoor herb plants ready to move indoors. 

Thai basil (from seed) and red shisho (from seed).

I picked up a Carolina Reaper seedling from our local gardening center in early summer and it has done surprisingly well. I'm thinking of moving it indoors for the winter as well.

DSCN2471.thumb.JPG.a5e27a9270d910ee21b96baab8918ddd.JPGDSCN2475.thumb.JPG.560bfc6cc8703759f803c1bf98188cfb.JPGDSCN2472.thumb.JPG.7151e05e2de68f42392d820ca084337e.JPG

• Like 5

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

A few weeks ago my GF questioned why I was watering plants in my garden, because "it's supposed to rain all week." I explained to her that from a gardener's perspective, 4 of 5 days with "chance of showers" does not constitute raining all week.

This past weekend provided a startlingly good illustration of that point. On Saturday we had lots of rain: the forecast called for 40-50 mm (call it 1 1/2 to 2 inches), and I'm sure we got every bit of that. On Sunday I made a late planting of carrots, and while the top cm/half-inch or so of soil was nicely soaked it was still dry and crumbly below that. My soil is pretty absorbent now, at least in the beds, after a couple of years' constant upgrading, so that was a sobering reminder of the need for consistent watering.

No photos today, but since I'm here and posting I'll note that the cukes are slowing down, the bush beans are still producing though in diminished fashion, my late planting of bush beans is taking off now that their roots have reached the rabbit-manure layer, the tomatoes and pattypan squash are still going great guns, and I have lots of kale and chard with late plantings coming along. The late planting of peas is now beginning to yield, and my winter squashes (spaghetti and buttercup) have set plenty of fruit which are filling out nicely. In the case of the latter, I'm now pruning the ends of the vines to discourage vegetal growth and snipping any remaining buds. I want all of the plants' energy going into the squashes at this point, thank you very much.

Also my late-planted broccoli have now surpassed the transplants I bought at the local nursery's end-of-spring clearout in size, and considerably in vigor. The late-planted spinach is yielding nicely, and the cauliflower plants are growing rapidly as well. I've never had much success with those latter two when I've planted them in spring; it seems our springs are just too short and erratic weather-wise. Henceforth I'm not even going to bother, I'll plant them both in mid-summer since that seems to be working.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

The time that it rains also matters. If the rain happens slowly over an extended amount of time, it is going to penetrate further into the soil.  One of the reasons that heavy rains are so devastating is that it simply washes down the top of the soil or street.  This all adds up to flooded streets, overflowing rivers, mud slides, etc.

3 of my Indonesian chilli seeds have sprouted! These are from the cabai keriting - long, skinny and slightly curly and medium spicy with great flavor. Fingers crossed that I can get them to maturity...

PXL_20240911_233554929_MP.thumb.jpg.e3a8979ffaa2e96722e1f9771e188a5c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

49 minutes ago, KennethT said:

3 of my Indonesian chilli seeds have sprouted! These are from the cabai keriting - long, skinny and slightly curly and medium spicy with great flavor. Fingers crossed that I can get them to maturity...

Oh I hope they grow and thrive! Keep us posted, please. I love pepper plants though I am not very adventurous!  🙂

• Thanks 1

Planted some supposedly heirloom jalapenos and a bunch of pots of sweet basil in my cold frame. Hope that helps the basil germinate because I think it needs warm soil. Also some dill, jalapenos, and basil outside to hedge my bets.

Seeded an area with Italian parsley a while back and I might have to thin it. The stuff self seeds like crazy and I decided to pull a couple of huge plants out of my wallaby grass lawn area (which seems to be getting taken over by other grasses, unfortunately). My best looking cauliflower seems to have suffered a setback, maybe because of the hail a couple of weeks ago. 

All this reminds me I need to make a spinach salad for tea.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, haresfur said:

Planted some supposedly heirloom jalapenos and a bunch of pots of sweet basil in my cold frame. Hope that helps the basil germinate because I think it needs warm soil. Also some dill, jalapenos, and basil outside to hedge my bets.

Seeded an area with Italian parsley a while back and I might have to thin it. The stuff self seeds like crazy and I decided to pull a couple of huge plants out of my wallaby grass lawn area (which seems to be getting taken over by other grasses, unfortunately). My best looking cauliflower seems to have suffered a setback, maybe because of the hail a couple of weeks ago. 

All this reminds me I need to make a spinach salad for tea.

I've grown basil for a long time (not recently though) - but I've found that it sprouts and grows with very little effort - I've never had to add heat to it, just room temp was fine in the past. 

9 hours ago, KennethT said:

I've grown basil for a long time (not recently though) - but I've found that it sprouts and grows with very little effort - I've never had to add heat to it, just room temp was fine in the past. 

It will be a while before our soil outside is room temperature and in the past my seed has just sat there until much later in the spring. Then again it will be a while before my house is room temperature and then there will be a short period before it is blazing hot. Older houses here are poorly constructed, not well insulated, and have single pane glass. Doesn't make sense to heat a lot, only to pour it outside. I had my first unsuccessful batch of sauerkraut this year because the house was too cool.