• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Found a recipe that claimed it would make one biscuit...more like a small loaf of bread!  I made two biscuits, added some cheese to the dry ingredients and it wasn't bad. May hang on to the recipe and keep tweaking it to my taste. When you're a singleton you don't want a dozen biscuits.  The soup is more or less finished now but it was getting very good!

When I was alone I'd mix up a standard batch of a dozen (baking powder version, not soda) and freeze the cut-but-unbaked biscuits in a ziploc bag. When I wanted one, I'd throw it straight from the freezer into my toaster oven. 

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

image.jpeg

Home-made pain de mie (Pullman loaf) with scraps of meat from a smoked hock and some purchased pickled onions. I was wishing for some of @Shelby's jalapeno mustard. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch at Maxim's City Hall, an HK institution in a great banquet hall just next to my office. We were there early at 11.30h and it was packed. It reminded me why we don't go there more often ... We had:

Peppers stuffed with shrimp paste

Deep-fried won ton

Fried tentacles

Baked char siu bao

Sui mai

Deep-fried taro fritters with chicken pieces

Steamed beef ribs with black pepper

Har gow

Xiao long bao

When the bill arrived, it reminded me of the second reason why we don't go there too often (its not expensive per se, but for everyday lunch slightly out of budget).

After a nice lunch break finally finishing with a walk back to the office and a nice view across Victoria Harbor ...

WP_20161026_11_41_32_Rich.jpg

WP_20161026_11_43_14_Rich.jpg

WP_20161026_11_43_26_Rich.jpg

WP_20161026_11_43_47_Rich.jpg

WP_20161026_11_46_04_Rich.jpg

WP_20161026_11_47_01_Rich.jpg

WP_20161026_11_51_10_Rich.jpg

WP_20161026_12_00_40_Rich.jpg

WP_20161026_12_00_46_Rich.jpg

WP_20161026_12_07_32_Rich.jpg

WP_20161026_12_37_33_Rich.jpg

• Like 12

image.jpeg

Last night I stripped the last of the meat from the smoked ham hock that has been feeding me for a while.  I used some of the meat in a pasta dish for dinner.   Today I minced the rest of it in the food processor, added some chopped scallions, some mustard and some mayonnaise and made a sandwich.   A smoked ham hock is a "good thing" as  Martha would say.

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

Last night I stripped the last of the meat from the smoked ham hock that has been feeding me for a while.  I used some of the meat in a pasta dish for dinner.   Today I minced the rest of it in the food processor, added some chopped scallions, some mustard and some mayonnaise and made a sandwich.   A smoked ham hock is a "good thing" as  Martha would say.

If you like egg salad, chop up a hardboiled egg or two (depending on how much ham you have) and make ham 'n egg salad. One of my favorites.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Last week was our anniversary and we had that TJ chicken liver moose, brie and champagne to celebrate.      Spread it on little toasted cocktail breads and it was so tasty.   Had an assortment of  olives as well.   Never met an olive that I didn't like!  And small pickled onions too.  With a spread like that, we may start celebrating our 6 month anniversaries in addition to the annual ones.!  We are still working on the kilo of imported French brie I snagged for $1.99 from our Mennonite store.  Yup, that was the price of the entire wheel...

We have another mousse hidden in the back of the refrigerator.  Intending to celebrate the outcome of the election with t.  If the wrong person wins. we will use it and lots of champagne to drown our sorrows. Either way, it goes on Nov. 9 or sooner if the race is called earlier.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, kayb said:

If you like egg salad, chop up a hardboiled egg or two (depending on how much ham you have) and make ham 'n egg salad. One of my favorites.

Thanks. I thought about adding a hard boiled egg but decided I was just too hungry to take the time. 

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Last week was our anniversary and we had that TJ chicken liver moose, brie and champagne to celebrate.      Spread it on little toasted cocktail breads and it was so tasty.   Had an assortment of  olives as well.   Never met an olive that I didn't like!  And small pickled onions too.  With a spread like that, we may start celebrating our 6 month anniversaries in addition to the annual ones.!  We are still working on the kilo of imported French brie I snagged for $1.99 from our Mennonite store.  Yup, that was the price of the entire wheel...

We have another mousse hidden in the back of the refrigerator.  Intending to celebrate the outcome of the election with t.  If the wrong person wins. we will use it and lots of champagne to drown our sorrows. Either way, it goes on Nov. 9 or sooner if the race is called earlier.

Happy Anniversary!!!  I love snacky type meals like that.

Anna, you've made me hungry for ham salad....

• Like 2

Played around with salt/sugar cured egg yolks today.  Never have done this before.  I liked it.  Did a 2 hr cure then used them later for a quick snack using leftovers from last night.  Sliced roasted potatoes, collards and oxtail topped with the cured egg yolks 

image.jpeg

• Like 12

There are two types of Sushi places in HK: the "Japanese"-style ones, usually good to excellent with more traditional offerings, high quality and high prices (RRO's lunch would fit right in there). And then there are the "localized" ones, good to lousy, with more creative offers, medium to budget prices and quality that you either know or you are desperate.

Todays lunch fell in the very last category. I had to run errands in the Fuk Wing street in the heart of Kowloon, known for all sorts of party decorations and cheap toys. Being done at around 13.00h with a toddler sleeping in the stroller is not a good prerequisite for a satisfying lunch. Everything popular (the beef intestine noodle soup shops, curry fishball joints, Sichuan hot-pot places) was crammed with queues, which means no stroller parking with a sleeping kid. Finally, on a corner an unknown Kaiten sushi place - and after some haggeling we were allowed to park the little one in the corner.

As I was starved I filled up on the very decent plates from the conveyor belt and then ordered a la carte for some fresher sushis. Note the size of the side-order soup, which was actually a bone-marrow based Ramen. All in all quite ok and for 240 HKD a steal. Would not dare to bring friends here but for an emergency Saturday lunch I'd return any time.

WP_20161029_13_50_22_Rich.jpg

WP_20161029_13_57_09_Rich.jpg

WP_20161029_14_01_00_Rich.jpg

WP_20161029_14_12_51_Rich.jpg

• Like 10

On 2016-10-26 at 2:30 AM, Duvel said:

WP_20161026_11_51_10_Rich.jpg

WP_20161026_12_37_33_Rich.jpg

The above is my favourite - taro puffs!
It's been 58 years since I left HK. Going close to the island in April but won't have time this trip to visit. We'll be spending time in Guangzhou and my village in Toisan.
My brunch today: leftover lamb filling from Shepherd's pie earlier in the week plus scrambled eggs.         

Ground Lamb & Eggs0011.jpg    

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 9

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Autumn has arrived - only 23 oC today.

Homemade chicken soup with macaroni, carrots and peas. I started to add tiny mounts of white miso to my chicken soyps - not noticeable as miso, but just the little umami-boost needed for a plain soup ...

WP_20161030_12_37_57_Rich.jpg

• Like 8

image.jpeg

Re-heated chicken fingers, blistered cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese in flour tortilla. Sour cream and more tomatoes on top,  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Always happy to find enough leftovers for lunch. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

A couple of days ago, I soaked some dried cèpes and matsutake mushrooms to use in a dish for dinner. The soaking liquid was strained through muslin and popped into the freezer alongside more of the same from earlier.

Yesterday, I dug both out and used it to braise a chopped up oxtail. Some garlic and an onion went in, too. After around six hours slowly cooking. I separated the remaining stock from the meat, bones, veg etc. The stock/braising liquid went into the fridge overnight in one bowl and so did the solids, in another.

This morning I scraped the bulk of the fat from on top of the jellied stock, then separated the meat from the bones while discarding vegetation. The meat fell off the bones if I so much as gave it a withering glance.

The meat went back into the pot along with the de-fatted stock and one large ice cube of red wine. Salt and generous amounts of pepper were added and the lot brought back to a boil. Topped with some chopped Chinese chives. Served with Chinese flatbread (the only bread I have at the moment. There is some proofing at the moment. It will be in the oven in half an hour. Too late for lunch).

oxtail soup1.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
typos (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto