• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

image.jpeg

Soup of the Bakony Outlaws and a grilled piece of ciabatta.   

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@HungryChris  

that sandwich looks very tasty.   I have not had tongue is quite some time.

however ,  is  "" deli "" tongue always corned ?   or are  both types , corned and not  available in deli's that have tongue.

too bad no where near me sells tongue of the type you have gotten.

Id of course need to get it   "'' on sale """

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris  

that sandwich looks very tasty.   I have not had tongue is quite some time.

however ,  is  "" deli "" tongue always corned ?   or are  both types , corned and not  available in deli's that have tongue.

too bad no where near me sells tongue of the type you have gotten.

Id of course need to get it   "'' on sale """

I don't think I have ever seen "deli tongue", at least not around here. I had a corned beef tongue sandwich at the Second Avenue Deli once in New York City, but that has been the only time I have ever bought it in any other form than raw in the cryovac. And I always wait for the sale price.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

image.jpeg

An unapologetic repeat of yesterday's lunch.  

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@gfweb, you may help me with my diet planning any time.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Faux Cobb salad with mixed greens, diced tomato, swiss cheese, chopped chicken breast, thinly shaved red onion, French dressing and a smattering of coleslaw dressing.

A Bosc pear with blue cheese and something new to me, Finlandia sweet lemon creamy cheese. 

John has brown rice pasta with bison spinach meatballs and some red sauce.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

So today I am attending a retreat for the shelter health network in Hamilton. We are a bunch of docs who services the homeless population. 

Lunch is being catered by the 'butcher and the vegan'

IMG_3641.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3643.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

I was a little late taking pics 

• Like 7

image.jpeg

I hold @rotuts  fully responsible for my lunch choice today.   Over on The Ladies who Lunch topic he just had to point out other things on the menu including the pork schnitzel.  This falls somewhere between pork schnitzel and pork tonkatsu.  Not shown is my version of tonkatsu sauce -- 1/2 ketchup and 1/2 HP sauce. Japanese purists should find something else to read. :)

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Thinly sliced pork loin, still warm from the S-V, on home made bread -- pickled red onions on the side. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Linner?

John left so I am not constrained by gluten free cooking ( I don't want to be a short order cook at home).  Made a small mac and cheese with Cabot cheddar and some small pasta; bison meatloaf with a panade of panko and Dijon.  Sauteed  yellow and zucchini squash and steamed then sautéed broccoli crowns.

About to start the request from up north and make small loaves of Portugese sweet bread to take up to Po-town.

Before I start that I need to go and spend the last bit of nice weather with the cats....

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg

Grilled treviso (indoor grill pan), S-V pork loin and a "Caesar" dressing on the side. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

I am an abject failure, the shame of the kitchen. I should be thrown ignominiously out of this esteemed community.

I can't make fish cakes to save my life. I've tried every recipe known to man or woman. I've changed the potato fish ratio. I've had them dry. less dry, not dry at all.

The thing is that they taste just fine, but they refuse point blank to maintain anything resembling cake shape or appearance. I've fried them and baked them. Cakiness eludes me.

I can single-handedly cook a complex twenty dish banquet when called upon so to do, but a single respectable fish cake? Forget it!

But I persevere. Today was yet another disaster. Again, great taste, but...

Worst of all, when I had shaped the cakes and came to coating them, the breadcrumb container which I am sure was half full had somehow emptied itself when I wasn't looking. I wasn't running out in the torrential rain we are having for more, so I was left with nude cakes.

True to form, the first three disintegrated in the frying process so I ended up with fried mash with salmon (poached in simple water with a little Vietnamese fish sauce), chilli and coriander. Delicious but not fit to illustrate a family cooking forum such as this. Hardcore nastiness.

I did end up with enough for one more try. I pressed it firmly into shape and very carefully and slowly fried it. It obviously lacks breadcrumbs and could have taken a bit more of a sear, but to my eternal humiliation, this is the best attempt I have managed in decades of trying.

More sensitive souls may wish to avert their eyes.

fc.jpg

The accompanying salad was beautiful, but I was too depressed to take its picture.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou

The last thing you  need is advice. You need empathy.  For you it's fish cakes.  For the rest of us it might be something else. But most of us have one thing that ought to be so simple but isn't.  Taste trumps appearance In my books. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

@liuzhou,

Notwithstanding Anna N's recommendation against advice, I'll give you my experience anyways. :) We make salmon cakes down here in the South, or at least us old fashioned folks do. They include no potatoes, but do include a small proportion of fresh bread crumbs and an egg or so, depending on how much you're making and a little liquid. I form them, coat in cornmeal, because that's what's is generally and personally favored around here. Then I refrigerate for an hour or so while I work on other components of the meal. After this, I fry them in a little hot oil, and they handle and flip very well after they brown on one side and set up.

I also make fried leftover mashed potato patties. These don't have any bread or grain, but they do have egg. I fridge these too for an hour or so after forming. They are more delicate than the fish cakes, but hold together pretty well.

You also have my empathy and envy. I used to make all the bread eaten in my household for many years, but quit for many years. The last time I tried my favorite tried and true bread recipe it disappointed spectacularly and bummed me out to the point where I haven't tried again. So yeah, we all have our culinary stumbling blocks. You are making some very nice looking homemade breads, so take heart.

I'm cooking for one now and into the foreseeable future, barring a miracle, but I made a smoked ham, mushroom, spinach and cheddar quiche and had it with apple compote the first night. Tonight was some of the leftovers with a tossed salad. I froze the rest for later so as not to get tired of it. The first night I pan fried the 1-1/2 pound ham steak and ate some with a baked sweet potato and stirfried shredded cabbage with onion, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. I still have almost half the ham steak left to do something with. I think tomorrow I'll make a couple biscuits and have some ham and eggs on them. Food sure goes a long way now.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <