• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

Thanks to @andiesenji suggestion, today's supper was quick pasta with spinach, mushrooms, a little half-cream and a generous amount of whole grain mustard. I decided to add a small amount of dark brown sugar, in order to cut the acidity a little.

The mustard's floral-fruity notes really came through, linked to combination very much.

20161120_201246(1).jpg

In retrospect, I would rather use patacchini or a similar pasta. Also, I wanted to try and blend the spinach, but felt to lazy to pull out the blender. It's more about spreading the spinach flavor evenly, it had a fine texture as is.

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

Have you ever had a yen for some caramelized onions that gripped you such that you didn't really care if they were served with something appropriate or not? Even before I peeled the onion I could smell that deep caramelization that competes with bacon in its hunger-inducing abilities. As I slowly turned the onions in the pan and watched them shrink and shrink some more I knew, as I always do, that I should have made at least twice as many. But the itch is scratched. I'm good for a bit. There are worse addictions. 

image.jpeg

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Have you ever had a yen for some caramelized onions that gripped you such that you didn't really care if they were served with something appropriate or not?

Yeah!

I've snarfed down the onions before the sausages were ready — more than once. xD

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

16 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Have you ever had a yen for some caramelized onions that gripped you such that you didn't really care if they were served with something appropriate or not? Even before I peeled the onion I could smell that deep caramelization that competes with bacon in its hunger-inducing abilities.

Oh, yes indeed!  We are finally having some cooler weather so I took advantage by first cooking up some bacon in the oven, followed by a pan of the Roasted Onions with Sage from Deborah Madison's Savory Way cookbook.  Oh, the smell was just divine!  

IMG_4136.jpg

On toasted ciabatta with a sprinkle of grated parm ....with a glass of red wine.....mmmmmm!

IMG_4137.jpg

Edited to add:  In the interest of full disclosure, this happened yesterday.  It was a very late lunch.  A third piece of toast was prepared and there was more than one glass of red wine.  Then there was a nap.  No dinner was needed.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add more red wine (log)
  • Like 12

Get thee behind me, evil one.  But I might have to skip the sage. 

Edited to add:

but you just reminded me that I did buy shallots to make roasted shallots a la Michael Ruhlman. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Have you ever had a yen for some caramelized onions that gripped you such that you didn't really care if they were served with something appropriate or not? Even before I peeled the onion I could smell that deep caramelization that competes with bacon in its hunger-inducing abilities. As I slowly turned the onions in the pan and watched them shrink and shrink some more I knew, as I always do, that I should have made at least twice as many. But the itch is scratched. I'm good for a bit. There are worse addictions. 

Not sure if you have tried this combination (or even like these ingredients for that matter...though I recall you enjoying a nice blue) -

Once done caramelization, de-glaze with some decent balsamic -

Blue cheese goes great if added both as a pizza topping, as does a bit of rosemary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Not sure if you have tried this combination (or even like these ingredients for that matter...though I recall you enjoying a nice blue) -

Once done caramelization, de-glaze with some decent balsamic -

Blue cheese goes great if added both as a pizza topping, as does a bit of rosemary.

Have not tried balsamic to deglaze with but will eat blue cheese with almost anything and it is definitely good with caramelized onions.   Thanks for the suggestions.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Have had company this weekend, and I was afflicted with a chest cold and laryngitis...Before sending our friends on their way, I made a big pot of congee with fresh pickerel fillets. Had the usual fixings on the table,  left to individual taste.

Congee Fixings0001.jpg

Congee0002.jpg

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

image.jpeg

A light lunch (after a mid-morning snack of home-made potato chips).  These are the Azeri mushrooms from Naomi Duguid's Taste of Persia. They are first boiled vigorously and then finished by almost poaching them in butter.  

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb  

nice on the CB's

looks a little Thick to Me.

maybe you need a Chef'sChioce , @ 20 % off  from BB&B

freeshipping.  Mine maturing dans LeBox

Nice.

They were thickish but tender after 2 days at 134F.

Grilled cheese - rye bread, emmentaler, mustard - one with tomatoes, the other of chrain (horseradish+beets) - Thanks @Alex for the suggestion.
I've spread mayo over the slices, instead of using butter for the frying.
The combination of the beets sweetness with the cheese and mustard was pleasant, but I've would like more horseradish kick.

20161121_200820.jpg

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

It is a lovely looking lunch did you make it yourself?

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, nonkeyman said:

I am hoping that is Kosher..I tried to go back a few threads to see if there were rules...it seemed as if it was just what you had for lunch. Not what you made yourself? Maybe I am in the wrong?

Absolutely within the rules but it's usual to indicate when you've eaten out or ordered in.. Having attempted to make injera I was curious to know if you had mastered the art. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Absolutely within the rules but it's usual to indicate when you've eaten out or ordered in.. Having attempted to make injera I was curious to know if you had mastered the art. 

Oh goodness no, I have baked lots of bread but I am classically trained. So lots of french breads, and rustic loaves, but never injera. I usually leave that to the professionals haha. Thank you for the bits of advice!

• Like 1

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

Takeaway sushi from our local Japanese place. It's great fresh fusion food, made on the premises which are spotlessly clean, and $15 gets us lunch for two. Today, tuna and avocado rolls, chicken karaage and cucumber, plus inari. We've just discussed making this a weekly event to try (amongst more sushi) the hot food as well :)

IMG_2954.JPG

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

Having attempted to make injera I was curious to know if you had mastered the art. 

While I never made injera, I do sometimes make lachuch, which is a Yemeni flatbread, made in a very similar fashion, but from wheat flour instead of teff. 

Here is a video of a women making lachuch, her method is exactly the same as the one I use, only that I prefer to cover to pans while the bread cooks (and mix the dough with a beater -no doughy hands for me, please).
Since she talks in Hebrew and the man in video translates her to Italian, I will highlight the fact that she uses both yeast and baking powder and that the thin batter is poured into a cold pan, oiled very lightly.
Injera is made the same way, only that as much as I know, the dough is usually left to ferment for a few days (I usually do this with lachuch as well) and that baking powder is most likely not traditional (though I'll suggest to include it, as I know it improves the texture of the lachuch). I will also assume that the teff, being a whole grain, requires more water then white flour to achieve the same consistecy.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.