• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Preserving, and How Are You Doing It? (2016–)

Anna N

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

From what I’ve read, yes.  I hate to peel large amounts of garlic so I’m unlikely to try it. 

Sam’s is your friend (likely Costco as well). One-pound bags of peeled garlic cloves.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

Sam’s is your friend (likely Costco as well). One-pound bags of peeled garlic cloves.

I think they sell Christopher Ranch which is a huge California producer. I usually get a bag from Korean market with huge turnover - probably from China. I like covering the cloves in olive oil and baking at low temp until brownish and creamy. Nice to have in the fridge.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 10:10 AM, heidih said:

I think they sell Christopher Ranch which is a huge California producer. I usually get a bag from Korean market with huge turnover - probably from China. I like covering the cloves in olive oil and baking at low temp until brownish and creamy. Nice to have in the fridge.

I do the same but I just poach them stovetop in oil.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@RWood 

looks terrific !

Im keen to learn how you do this

inc.  jars , etc

thanks

The jars came from an Amazon returns kinda place (I think they are actually boba tea related). I liked them because they were tall. 
The pickling is brine is 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, 2 Tbs sugar, 1 Tbs salt. You’ll have to determine how much you need for the about of asparagus you have. Then pack asparagus in jars with sliced shallot, garlic clove and dill. I added a pinch of chili flakes and black peppercorns. Pour hot brine over and then refrigerate overnight.  These are just refrigerator type, not processed. 

Edited by RWood (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RWood said:

The jars came from an Amazon returns kinda place 

Please tell more about this?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Please tell more about this?

I’m Kennesaw, outside Atlanta, there is a store called The Last Dig. They have big boxes of returns, I think mostly from Amazon. You go in, and dig. Most days everything is $4, sometimes $3. I’ve gotten things like kitchen scales, bathing suits, a stainless steel coffee mug and warmer, a Breville espresso knock box I had been wanting.  Just never know what you will find. I’m always looking for cooking related stuff, so jars, storage containers, etc. I got 4 silpat mats for $4 this past weekend. I’m sure there are other stores like it, we just found it one day by accident.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2022 at 2:46 AM, RWood said:

Some quick pickled asparagus. My mom will wipe out a jar on her own. I prefer this kinda thing in a Bloody Mary. I don’t like celery.

7554C6E2-B425-4277-8677-16BC5E6886DE.jpeg

Very nice. Haven't done it since I moved away from the land of cheap asparagus. When my nieces were young, I gave a jar to my brother's family and my sister in law was complaining because the girls were eating it all. I was like, "Heaven forbid kids should eat their vegetables!" So the next year I had to give them each a jar.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.