• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad 2016 –

SLB

Buckwheat Salad w/Plums, Cauliflower, Mustard Dressing + Arugula from Pulp.

image.thumb.jpeg.ee331fae6985ddcad6d37e65c95d6513.jpeg

Picked up a bag of 4-color cauliflower florets at TJ's the other day and figured this salad would be a good place for them.  Nothing earth-shaking about this but it's a tasty, pretty, satisfying summer salad. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Buckwheat Salad w/Plums, Cauliflower, Mustard Dressing + Arugula from Pulp.

Picked up a bag of 4-color cauliflower florets at TJ's the other day and figured this salad would be a good place for them.  Nothing earth-shaking about this but it's a tasty, pretty, satisfying summer salad. 

Looks fun. Did the pre-packed c-flower have significant taste, moisture & crunch. I sometimes fimd that type of produce a bit dried out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Looks fun. Did the pre-packed c-flower have significant taste, moisture & crunch. I sometimes fimd that type of produce a bit dried out.

It was fine. I suspect it wouldn’t keep as long as an intact head so I’ll try to use up the rest promptly. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

It's pomegranate season! Could I be any happier? Last night I made a salad from the NYT composed of three ingredients: slices of oranges (these were cara caras) a sprinkling of pomegranate arils and then a sprinkling of lightly salted chopped roasted pistachios. The orange was quite good, considering citrus season is only getting started. The pomegranate was the best one I've ever had. The recipe called for orange flower water, which I don't have and never use, and a sprinkle of confectioner's sugar which I saw no good reason to add. There was no dressing. This was the most delicious combination of three. My husband thought it needed a dressing so he drizzled his portion with a little olive oil and was sorry he did. After cutting open the pomegranate a large pool of juice filled the plate. After I tilted the plate and drank it I realized it might have been put on the salad, but it was too late. The rest of the pomegranate will be eaten by me today, standing over the sink. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

It's pomegranate season! Could I be any happier? Last night I made a salad from the NYT composed of three ingredients: slices of oranges (these were cara caras) a sprinkling of pomegranate arils and then a sprinkling of lightly salted chopped roasted pistachios. The orange was quite good, considering citrus season is only getting started.

Pomegranate, orange and pistachio DOES sound like a good combination. What fun! Like you, I'm surprised that the orange was decent.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

56 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I have the Zingerman's book (your first link) that was published last month.  You're right, the titles are very close!  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Pickled Fennel Niçoise Salad made with Fennel Quickles, both recipes from Tenderheart.

D457FAD5-591E-475F-B130-A43C6584988E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.03787b30bda3173e8c045b5df5a99ab0.jpeg

I had everything needed for this except for green beans so I subbed sugar snaps.  I also skipped peeling the spuds, as the recipe requests, and tossed them with some of the dressing while they were still warm so they could soak up a little flavor in advance.  I pulled out a tin of fancy tuna belly, thinking I'd want to add it to the salad - I didn't see how pickled fennel was going to take its place but I never felt the need and thought it was a great meal as is. 
The Fennel Quickles are very good.  I really like the combo of fennel and the rice vinegar brine.  @Smithy's recent comments about pickling spinach stems gave me the idea to add some thinly sliced stalks to the shaved bulb and I would do that again.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Salad with radicchio, fresh goat cheese (purple haze from Cypress Grove, with fennel pollen and lavender), hazelnuts, with an almond oil and sherry vinegar dressing. I really enjoyed this! This radicchio variety is crunchy and not overly bitter. 

Salad with bitter lettuce, fresh goal cheese (purple haze from Cypress Grove, with fennel pollen and lavender), and hazelnuts with an almond oil and sherry vinegar dressing

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Salad of Sugar Snap Peas, Turnip, Strawberries and Quinoa with a Miso-Maple Vinaigrette from Tenderheart by Hetty Lui McKinnon.

8F946508-88D8-4C13-A5A3-A315E40B2DC8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cb4dab3d9e94516fa48bac6d78ef1874.jpeg

Nice combination of flavors and textures.

An interesting combination - looks crunchy and fresh

• Like 1

this is my current salad :

IMG_3668.thumb.jpg.04d4d042b5f16cf86d1e958bdbe5897a.jpg

from TJ's"

bagged spinach .  it's regular ' baby '  Id like to easily find more mature s[inach , but the MarketBasket savoy is frequently 

chewed up a bit .   Campari tomatoes .  I buy them two packs at a time , and they sit on the counter for several days before use.

TJ's sauerkraut  a large forkful    chopped walnut pieces , one of 4 TJ's EVOO I have 

from MarketBasket :  Kimchi   again , a large forkful  MB carries this brand :

IMG_3683.thumb.jpg.04158d49ebe2a0eb5d9306f36e855c48.jpg

Tj's brand comes in a much smaller jar .  Im fine w this one

and the last item from MB : you spotted it , w those eagle eyes :

generic small shredded wheat  , for the croutons .  I always have them

no sodium , or etc.  I wouldn't  sub them for your homemade version 

but they work well for me.

the kimchi//kraut//campari have enough acid , no vinegar .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6