• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad 2016 –

SLB

51 minutes ago, SLB said:

@heidih, I never have; but it's an awful lot of material to go into the garbage, so I guess I need to look into it.  

Simple, sweet, vegetal. There are lots of sites and cookbooks now about using vegetable scraps. Don't overthink it. Simmer in a small amount of water until it tastes nicely pea-like. Strain and use where it makes sense. I have the luxury of a large property so I can go and toss stuff on the dirt. Raccoons schooled me yesterday - apparently spent shrimp shells after making stock were an insult. They did not make a mess but they moved them under a bush. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, heidih said:

They did not make a mess but they moved them under a bush.

How thoughtful of them. 

We have raccoons here in my very urban neighborhood.  They are gigantic as is appropriate in a landscape to overly abundant with garbage.  They are also bold, rabid, and not entirely nocturnal.  One tried to follow me into my vestibule one evening.  I hate them with a white-hot heat.  

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Paneer & Beet Salad with Mango-Lime Dressing from The Flavor Equation. Edited to add that the recipe can be found online at this link

IMG_4582.thumb.jpeg.e96bc2b851369058316db7011ae2ef9c.jpeg

Interesting twist on the beet salad with warm cheese.  The paneer is marinated in kefir seasoned with salt, cumin, turmeric, red chili powder and black pepper before grilling.  In addition to the mango/kefir/lime dressing, the salad gets sprinkled with amchur. Kinda makes it look dusty but adds a nice punch of tartness. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Paneer & Beet Salad with Mango-Lime Dressing from The Flavor Equation

IMG_4582.thumb.jpeg.e96bc2b851369058316db7011ae2ef9c.jpeg

Interesting twist on the beet salad with warm cheese.  The paneer is marinated in kefir seasoned with salt, cumin, turmeric, red chili powder and black pepper before grilling.  In addition to the mango/kefir/lime dressing, the salad gets sprinkled with amchur. Kinda makes it look dusty but adds a nice punch of tartness. 

Interesting combination. Were the beets roasted or?  Might riff on that with the tart yogurt I have on hand. 

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

Interesting combination. Were the beets roasted or?  Might riff on that with the tart yogurt I have on hand. 

Per the recipe, the beets were to be roasted.  Being a lazy sort, I bought some of those pre-cooked baby beets at Trader Joe's. 

I added a link to an online version of the recipe to my post.  Kefir, buttermilk and yogurt were all listed as options for both the marinade and dressing.  I know others have had good results substituting tofu for the paneer although it might stick to the grill more than paneer. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Tomato & Strawberry Salad with Feta and Olives from David Kinch's At Home in the Kitchen

FB9B728E-5D72-43AD-870F-61716EFC8D11_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3b8feb94aa57ddb3d67cec0791c8fe2c.jpeg

The berries (from Harry's Berries at the farmers market) were spectacular.  Tomatoes were also from the market but were so-so.  Nice trick of using feta brine to make  quick dressing. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Tomato & Strawberry Salad with Feta and Olives from David Kinch's At Home in the Kitchen

FB9B728E-5D72-43AD-870F-61716EFC8D11_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3b8feb94aa57ddb3d67cec0791c8fe2c.jpeg

The berries (from Harry's Berries at the farmers market) were spectacular.  Tomatoes were also from the market but were so-so.  Nice trick of using feta brine to make  quick dressing. 

Those strawberries - oh, my!  They look amazing!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

They were expensive but worth it for a treat!

If I had access to strawberries like that I wouldn't care how much they cost.  I'd be standing right next to you in line to buy them.

• Like 3

Driscoll's brand is the usual for Giant in our area - but of late I see two 'levels' of product.....

the usual wooden green center tasteless but looks like a strawberry . . .

a upscale and very up-priced batch - they are definitely hands down superior - and at least double the price....

are they sourced from some other part of the world?

hydroponic?

grown by people who care?

nadda clue - but iffin' I'm making strawberry crepes in Jan/Feb, those are my choice.

• Like 1

I think @blue_dolphin lives near Oxnard - prime strawberry growing territory - the home of Harry's Berries. A favorite at our local Farmers Markets. In my area we had some wonderful small strawberry farms but that land all got developed. If I can't smell that beautful strawberry scent when I walk up to vendor - I pass. An old image of my (spoiled) expectation Course that was in May - worth the wait.

berries.jpg

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

Driscoll's brand is the usual for Giant in our area - but of late I see two 'levels' of product.....

the usual wooden green center tasteless but looks like a strawberry . . .

a upscale and very up-priced batch - they are definitely hands down superior - and at least double the price....

are they sourced from some other part of the world?

hydroponic?

grown by people who care?

nadda clue - but iffin' I'm making strawberry crepes in Jan/Feb, those are my choice.

Driscoll grows berries all over the world.  I have no idea what drives their price differentiation in various markets. 

@heidih is correct that I'm not far from where Harry's Berries are grown.  Also TONS and TONS of Driscoll berries.  Differences are that Harry's Berries are organic (I'm sure Driscoll's has an organic line as well and would surely be more expensive as strawberries) and they are picked ripe either the day before or the morning of our market. Perhaps most importantly, the varieties that they grow may not be high-yield but are very flavorful. These are Gaviota.  Seascape, which will come along soon are my favorite. Driscoll surely chooses varieties that are firm and can tolerate being knocked around.  My berries hold quite well in the fridge for up to a week but would be a mess in a commercial shipping and grocery warehouse situation. 

• Like 2

Driscoll labels country or origin - and regardless of grower's love of berries, you're not going to find good strawberries from Vermont in February...

Driscoll has stuff labelled "organic" - true/false/maybe - makes not difference - the boxes of organic look same as boxes of 'ther' - pale, green tinges to everything . . .

obviously Driscoll's is sourcing the high class berries from someplace where they are in season, or near season "improved&better" by cultural techniques.

I had a hobby greenhouse.  I have tried to grow tomatoes/etc 'out of season' - it's a whole lot more involved than having a glass enclosed area....

• Like 1

Shaved Fennel + Kumquat Salad from Small Victories.  This is a spin-off of the Shaved Carrot + Avocado Salad.  I dressed it with the Preserved Kumquat Vinaigrette from Amá

809832641_Fennelkumquatsalad.thumb.jpg.129e50e2257723cf02beb9a661656ab5.jpg
This is a fresh-tasting, crunchy winter salad. Perfect to pair with something rich. I've made fennel salads with all sorts of citrus.  This was the first time using kumquats but won't be the last.  I used pistachios instead of sliced almonds and decided to dress it with the preserved kumquat vinaigrette from Amá which is a great citrus dressing.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Some more interesting salads from the photos backlog.

Black lentils, cocoa powder vinaigrette, gorgonzola, toasted hazelnuts, celery, mint, pepper.

Edit: Also pan-fried mushrooms.

PXL_20220225_194243934.thumb.jpg.077aa24298c2e35927fd4ef680eab42c.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

14 minutes ago, shain said:

Black lentils, cocoa powder vinaigrette, gorgonzola, toasted hazelnuts, celery, mint, pepper.

Cocoa powder vinegraitte? Method? Sounds like would play well with the lentis (my visual mind thing) - so flavor/inspiration? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

Cocoa powder vinegraitte? Method? Sounds like would play well with the lentis (my visual mind thing) - so flavor/inspiration? 

I forgot to mention the mushrooms (cooked in butter) which were also included. And served with red wine, of course.

- 2 tbsp vinegar

- 2 tbsp olive oil (not too sharp)

- 1.5 tsp coco powder

- a bit of brown sugar, or another sweetener

Idea is because blue cheese tastes a bit like cocoa butter and somewhat cocoa (to my palate).

Lentils and mushrooms have a different earthy quality that reminds me of cocoa from another angle.

Hazelnuts (or usually walnuts) are natural with chocolate, and along with celery and blue cheese makes a classic lentil salad.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

22 hours ago, shain said:

Edit: Also pan-fried mushrooms.

Fascinating idea on the vinaigrette. I have some black lentils and am going to try it. Thanks for the recipe, too.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 4 months later...

Kind of a curious one.  Squid with cabbage, peach, herbs and peanuts (yeah, you read that right 🙄) from The Magic of Tinned Fish.  I believe I picked up a tin of the La Brújula baby squid in olive oil by mistake when I was stocking up on mussels at the import shop.  Or maybe I was just curious? I dunno but I had no idea what to do with them and I had nice peaches on hand so I gave it a go. 

611C0DAE-8144-412A-A848-8479DE9114B1_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e6a7c6960ebf649a04b9396f9cbc33b7.jpeg

The baby squids are the four plump, corpse-like items  There are two more lurking somewhere in there.. They are plump because they are stuffed with their own tentacles.  Seems kind of a rude thing to do to a baby but it wasn't my idea, I only found out after I took a bite!  

The header notes cite Thai flavors and other ingredients include fish sauce, sugar, a Fresno chile and a serrano, scallions, cilantro, mint and lime juice. I subbed cashews for the called-for peanuts.

The baby squid are quite good.  I enjoyed the contrast of flavors and textures but I think I'd be happy with a half, appetizer sized serving rather than this big plate. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to explain cashews (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1