• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

28 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Once he has a piece of toast made in there, he'll beg you to put it front and center in the kitchen lol.

Nah - bet he doesn't! He's got a thing about steam and his ceiling.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

to each their own.

re- 1/4 sheet pan :   a zillion years ago, since its 'Olympic Season'  there was a series from AUS that was one of the funniest shows Ive ever seen.

it might have been called ' The Games ' and was a comedy about building the Olympics in AUS.

very dry humor.     the major figure was reviewing plans for the stadium being constructed below the offices windows and noticed the

'100 yard ( or meter ) dash ' area was only 95 Y or M's  based on the scale of the plans.  when asked, the forma an said yes, there were some

building issues but it was still called the '100 yard'  but its not , etc yes it is  etc

guess you and to see that ep.

so the '1/4 sheet pan' is just a slightly  smaller pan that fits in the CSB but its still the !/4 sheet pan.

shat should solve the problem.

sorry.  you had to see the series.

oops here is part of it :

full dalog :

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Games_(Australian_TV_series)#Robbo_and_the_100_Metres_.5B1.4.5D

jump down to Robbo     sorry I could not find this clip

therefore, the CSB takes a " 1/4 sheet pan "  as per above

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

@Shelby, great looking bread!

Should have put yesterday's bacon barbecue meatloaf in the CSO, but I used it for bread that was a dismal failure. I'd made and frozen some sandwich rolls a while back, and have had success before in thawing, proofing and baking, but not this time. Think I didn't give it long enough to thaw and proof. We chunked them.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I used the oven for bacon:  400F on convection bake.  Just put the slices on foil on the tray and let them go for about 15 minutes or so, turning to get both sides done.  Of course, depends on the thickness of one's bacon as to how long but I was expecting lots of splatter but it a relatively 'clean' cook.  They look so nice through the window, all bubbling away!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

I had bread success!!!!  Thank you, @Anna N, for your trouble shooting and giving me a recipe.  When I pulled the loaves out of the oven they were making this lovely "crackling" sound.  The one on the right had a little ear sticking up..which I couldn't wait to pull off and eat.  My husband snatched it before I could >:(.  

I proofed it for 30 mins at 100F.  Then I turned it to the bread setting and baked it for 30 mins at 350F.  The center of the bread is supposed to read 190F when finished.  Mine was at 207.  I will shorten the baking time to 25 mins next time and see what I get..

@Shelby I searched in the bedroom closet and found a very dusty bread pan the same dimensions as the ones you bought.  Can't remember the decade I last used it.

Would it work to halve the KAF recipe to make one loaf, or is their a more suitable smaller recipe for one pan?

Also, for the liquid milk variation, what is the purpose of "simmering" the milk?  In The Taste of Bread, Raymond Calvel calls out for pasteurized milk in his tinned bread recipes that use liquid milk, with no mention of a pre-heating step.

Meanwhile here in the land of flour, water, salt, and yeast I have been going back and forth between baguettes in the CSO and in the main oven.  The crust of the CSO baguettes is never quite as crisp.  I attribute this to too much steam, or more properly to steam for too long duration.  I'm wondering if propping the door open a bit might help?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have successfully halved this recipe and I have even converted it to make a 9 x 5 loaf at some point. 

As for scalding the milk, here's a discussion

Link

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have successfully halved this recipe and I have even converted it to make a 9 x 5 loaf at some point. 

As for scalding the milk, here's a discussion

Link

Thanks, @Anna N that makes sense!

But are you sure you weren't watching the frozen negroni recipe of the day video on the bottom of her page?

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks, @Anna N that makes sense!

But are you sure you weren't watching the frozen negroni recipe of the day video on the bottom of her page?

Alas. Negroni ingredients in short supply. But I am enjoying a glass of virgin tonic water. 

Edited to to say now even the tonic water has run out and the ice maker in my fridge appears to be FUBAR. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd be interested to learn more about the orange glaze.

I've long wanted to try to make duck a l'orange...which in my case would more likely be chicken a l'orange.  I've thought about subbing marmalade for Marsala in chicken Marsala to see what happened.

just to review :

nice weather here :   6 am :  77 inside with 77 % humidity

same outside  

now  94 outside, w 88 humidity

nice

Inside   81  ( windows closed early  )  with only 75 % H

sooooo it too hot for this "

post-68597-0-10832100-1404919370_thumb.jpg

just keep that in mind

• Like 4

On 8/9/2016 at 11:49 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd be interested to learn more about the orange glaze.

I've long wanted to try to make duck a l'orange...which in my case would more likely be chicken a l'orange.  I've thought about subbing marmalade for Marsala in chicken Marsala to see what happened.

Orange glaze was out of a bottle. I forget the brand..Asian-ish.

Sad, but after repeated testing I believe I get better baguettes out of the oven than the CSO.  Tonight -- despite the National Weather Service Flash Flood Warning, Excessive Heat Watch, and Heat Advisory -- I fired up the main oven for my bread.

Speaking of bread, I checked the supermarket for powdered milk.  They carry only one brand, their own store brand, in only one size box, and it costs fifteen dollars.

9 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Orange glaze was out of a bottle. I forget the brand..Asian-ish.

Thanks.

I was thinking out of a bottle, but more like Grand Marnier.  Think outside the bottle, I like that.

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sad, but after repeated testing I believe I get better baguettes out of the oven than the CSO.  Tonight -- despite the National Weather Service Flash Flood Warning, Excessive Heat Watch, and Heat Advisory -- I fired up the main oven for my bread.

Speaking of bread, I checked the supermarket for powdered milk.  They carry only one brand, their own store brand, in only one size box, and it costs fifteen dollars.

What about Amazon?  The business not the river. 

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't know if you have Amazon prime, but this is what I buy.  

I often order from King Arthur Flour so I get my powdered milk from them. 

I like their specialty flours which I can't get locally so I place an order every few months.

Yes, I have prime, but like @lindag I occasionally order from KAF.  Trying to decide.  I may try the bread with liquid milk to see how it works in the CSO.  I was hoping the CSO would be better than the oven for baguettes.  Though this has not proved to be the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lindag said:

KAF has a combo product which is the powdered milk along with an acrylic storage container.

A nice addition to the pantry.

Just doing a little enabling here.

Damn you are a quick study. Just what we need. More qualified enablers. :D:D

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Yukon Gold sliced 1/8" thick cooked in CSO 375 F with and without steam x 11min.

Steamed pots were thoroughly cooked and just starting to brown. Not crispy. Good potato taste.

No-steam potatoes were thoroughly cooked, dried-out on the top side (ie not the part laying on the baking pan), less potato-y and not crispy.

Steam >> convection.  But the high heat of a pan seems needed for crisping.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

Nice.

Ive found almost every veg. benefits from steam cooking.  they cook quicker , retain more of their natural taste .

it you count of Steam cooking to brown your veg, you risk over cooking.  I have not tried higher initial temps for steam cooking

rather finish the dish under steam-broil to get the tops how I might like them.

all blanket rules have exceptions, probably even these.

but at a certain point I get hungry .

BTW  do you mean high heat of the pan for bottom browning ?

• Like 1