• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

I purchased an oven liner for my Breville which has worked great, the original crumb tray got really trashed over time.  This liner is like magic, nothing sticks that can't be wiped away.  I just ordered a second one for the CSO this time.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lindag said:

I purchased an oven liner for my Breville which has worked great, the original crumb tray got really trashed over time.  This liner is like magic, nothing sticks that can't be wiped away.  I just ordered a second one for the CSO this time.

That looks good.  Since it says, "trim to fit," it sounds like it would be possible to poke a hole in the liner to align with the drain.  Is that right? 

I leave the crumb tray in my CSO all the time because it's easier to pull it out and clean it rather that reaching in to clean the bottom of the oven.

""   I leave the crumb tray in my CSO all the time  ""

does condensed water accumulate for you if the crumb tray is always in, preventing draining into the tiny tiny tray ?

the crumb tray seems to do more than collect crumbs.  try toast at the same setting w and w/o the tray

for toast it seems to reflect back heat to the bottom of the toast.

decided for your self re toast.

a dark matt may not work as well, but you'll have to try that yourself, as i do not have one

Edited by rotuts (log)

18 minutes ago, rotuts said:

does condensed water accumulate for you if the crumb tray is always in, preventing draining into the tiny tiny tray ?

No, I make sure to align the hole in the crumb tray with the drain to the tiny tiny tray and don't find any water beyond the small amount in the tray.  However, I live in a fairly dry area so moisture doesn't tend to accumulate anywhere.

25 minutes ago, rotuts said:

No, I make sure to align the hole in the crumb tray with the drain to the tiny tiny tray and don't find any water beyond the small amount in the tray.  However, I live in a fairly dry area so moisture doesn't tend to accumulate anywhere.

Edited to add that yesterday was one of those 90 degree - feels like 96 days here in this no AC house in northern NY and I very much noticed the difference between this and a 90 degree/single digit humidity day in So Cal!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

5 hours ago, lindag said:

"Not intended for direct food contact"

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I just ate the best english muffin ever.  I bought some Wolferman's at the store.  I usually only eat a half at a time.  I'm eyeing the other half......  toasty on the outside, moist on the inside.

Have some corn to make in there tonight.....husks on or off?

19 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Super steam 

on

Can you de-husk and de-silk them as well as ones done in MW ( Microwave)?

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Actually I just MW'd one in husk for 3 min. As I was in a hurray for it.  Definitely the easiest method.

Jo did hers at 140 degrees for 12 mins on steam, is that what you do, Oakanagan?  (in the cuis, not the MW)

Once the IP arrives (not here yet and my hopes are fading) could do an interesting comparison amongst the steam oven, IP and the MW.  That is if I don't use the corn I have to make the roasted corn stock from Mc@H which I now have beside me as I watch the 11 hours of taped British Open.:(

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Once the IP arrives (not here yet and my hopes are fading) could do an interesting comparison amongst the steam oven, IP and the MW.  That is if I don't use the corn I have to make the roasted corn stock from Mc@H which I now have beside me as I watch the 11 hours of taped British Open.:(

That's strange - the one I bought for up north came from BC - surprised your's hasn't shown up since it's prime and that's two day delivery free right?

9 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Did you do a tracking on the ship?  It should be there by now?

Yup, supposed to be two days.  We live 15 Kim's outside of Penticton, don't know but it is 5:05 pm and they are likely off duty now so it will be Monday.  That"s ok, I am up to my eyes in roasted pork from our pig roast and leftover salads.  

• Like 1

On July 2, 2016 at 11:10 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Corn, on the cob, steam setting, 140 deg F, 12 minutes -- as good as sous vide.  Sign me up.

We must like our corn in very different ways.  Did your method.  Husk off.  Only one ear that we were going to split.  Turned out raw (to us).  Didn't do the high steam though, was that the difference?

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

We must like our corn in very different ways.  Did your method.  Husk off.  Only one ear that we were going to split.  Turned out raw (to us).  Didn't do the high steam though, was that the difference?

No, my corn was just regular steam.  I seem to remember @Anna N once tried the sous vide method I advocate from Modernist Cuisine (which is really just a shorter cooking time than what @nathanm previously recommended on eGullet) and found it underdone.  And maybe slightly cold, at that.  But that is the reason for hot butter.

The results may of course depend up on the particular corn in question.  I wish @nathanm was still posting around here to help.  But in any event the sous vide method or the CSO method works for me.  CSO is easier.

• Like 1

I couldn't find any Silpats the ideal size for the CSO.  The closest I found was a Silpat knockoff at 11x11 inches.  What I ordered were square parchment papers from Worthy Liners.  Three products purchased together gave free shipping:

10x10 for bread

12x12 for lovely greasy things like chicken thighs and roast potatoes.

5x5 for ice cream.*

*Note:  I have not yet developed a method for making ice cream in the CSO.

On July 3, 2016 at 0:10 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Corn, on the cob, steam setting, 140 deg F, 12 minutes -- as good as sous vide.  Sign me up.

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

I tried this with the husk-on.  The husk did slip off easily as with the microwave method but the corn was still quite raw.  It had been in the fridge and after 12 minutes of steam at 140 deg, it was still less than room temp.  I chalked it up to the cold start and leaving the husk on but I had to pop in in the MW for a couple of minutes.  Maybe super steam would work better for me?   Or the handy old MW :D!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I couldn't find any Silpats the ideal size for the CSO.

Try searching "toaster oven silicone mats' or the like.

Mrs. Anderson's Non-Stick Silicone Toaster Oven Baking Mat - 7.9" x 10.75"

Silpat toaster oven 7 7/8" x 10 13/16" for a 8" x 11" sheet pan

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Speaking of parchment:  I recently discovered that I could bake my bacon in the BSO of the CSO placing the bacon between a folded sheet of parchment.  Last time I baked bacon in there the oven was splattered all over with grease.  This time the parchment contained all of the grease and clean up was a snap.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I tried this with the husk-on.  The husk did slip off easily as with the microwave method but the corn was still quite raw.  It had been in the fridge and after 12 minutes of steam at 140 deg, it was still less than room temp.  I chalked it up to the cold start and leaving the husk on but I had to pop in in the MW for a couple of minutes.  Maybe super steam would work better for me?   Or the handy old MW :D!

I'll have a go at it again tomorrow, probably, and try the super steam.  Maybe that'll do it.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shelby said:

Did you do a tracking on the ship?  It should be there by now?

I checked again this morning and it said it was picked up in Vancouver so it didn't get to Penticton in time for them to drive it out here.  OR Kerry Beal has MY Instapot, ha.>:(

• Like 4