• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Do I Cook/Prepare This Style Of Pork Chop?

GlorifiedRice

I don't understand bone-in chops. They are said to have more flavor. Because of the bone? Can't imagine how.

The bone does make for uneven cooking and raises the price of the meat.

I think I'd remove the bone and cook SV.

(added) Here's Kenji"s thoughts http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ask-the-food-lab-do-bones-add-flavor-to-meat-beef.html

Edited by gfweb (log)

Looks like our  kassler with bone in  and   I check the home page and it is fully cooked so SV would just be pointless.   Fry it in a pan for 5 minutes on each side and then serve  with  gravy and potatoes and vegetables.

IF  I get Kassler this month we are making  Finnish carrot bake with  kassler   or  baked cauliflower and kassler  and that should work for this too.

• Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I'd be more concerned with "WATER ADDED" than bones.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

They are smoked. I buy them all the time. Very popular with our local Mexican community. All you have to do is heat & eat, and even the heating is optional. They're great to pack into picnic lunches, and I have a quicky Green Chile Stew that I make with them. I'll dig out that recipe if you'd like.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 3

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

More: they come in thin & thick cut. The thick-cut is better for chopping into dice for things like the Green Chile Stew. The thin ones were my husband's favorite breakfast - fry them lightly in a skillet and serve with eggs and fried green tomatoes and biscuits. Often, I'd make a little pan gravy to go with it.

The number one way they're prepared around here is just as catpoet says, but you can do pretty-much anything with them - add to soups, stews, pasta dishes, etc. Treat them like you do any other pre-cooked pork product - sausage, ham, weiners.

I've mentioned them before on various "quick & easy meals" threads.

Here's that basic Green Chile Stew recipe, but I generally just kind of wing it.

Quick Green Chile Stew

3 thin-skinned potatoes (about 1 1/2 lb)

2 tomatoes (about 1/2 lb. total - can use canned)

3 1/2 cups chicken broth

1 can (7 oz.) diced green chilies

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound boneless smoked pork chops

1 teaspoon salad oil

Hot sauce

1. Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch pieces. Core and chop tomatoes. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, combine potatoes, tomatoes, broth, chilies, and garlic. Bring to a boil over high heat; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced, 12 to 15 minutes.

2. While potatoes simmer, cut pork crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips, then cut strips in half. To a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan, add oil and pork; cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until pork is lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.

3. When potatoes are tender, stir in pork; simmer just long enough to warm meat through, about 2 minutes. Add 1 or 2 drops of hot sauce, if desired.

Serves 4

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

"""   glasses [ Ed: Bottles ] of [ Ed: Dry ] Riesling  """

"" ice cold ""

might be a candidate for Methode Rotuts ?

boiled peeled potatoes w lots of chopped fresh parsley

might complete the dish.

and save a round trip to Germany.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Yep, that's the way to go ... goes well along some glasses of Riesling.

My kids loved them with sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes, and brown bread.

If you have a sous vide rig that's the way I go.  134 degrees F for up to an hour.  Very quick brown and serve.  They dry out quickly in a pan.

The chops are fully cooked and smoked.  Why cook 'em again, and why sous vide.  To me it seems like so much nonsense.

• Like 2

... Shel

Buy some first.   give them a taste.

you seem to have never had these.

they might make a delicious thin cut sandwich.

but tender they are not.

you cook them again 'braise'

so they are then fork tender.

German These Are.

Hi,

I bought these after seeing them all over and Im wondering if there is a special way to cook them?

fvcZH2K.gif

I just brown them in a bit of fat in a hot pan.  

• Like 1

They're cured and will have a ham-like flavor.

They're very prone to drying out.

Fully cooked...reheat very briefly on the grill or in some other way.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I don't understand bone-in chops. They are said to have more flavor. Because of the bone? Can't imagine how.

The bone does make for uneven cooking and raises the price of the meat.

I think I'd remove the bone and cook SV.

(added) Here's Kenji"s thoughts http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ask-the-food-lab-do-bones-add-flavor-to-meat-beef.html

'

It's an injection-brined, pre-cooked product. Sous vide seems like a bad idea.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

'

It's an injection-brined, pre-cooked product. Sous vide seems like a bad idea

Even though I didn't understand it was pre-cooked (see above),  SV is never a bad idea for reheating anything.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

So I was perusing Maya Angelou's wonderful cookbook, "Hallelujah! The Welcome Table," when I came across what looked like a pretty great recipe for smoked pork chops.  Had to try it, so I did, and it is.  I'd definitely recommend it, and the book, too, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/Hallelujah-The-Welcome-Table-Lifetime/dp/0812974859

However, have to add that one of my favorite things about these pre-cooked chops is their quick ease and convenience.  Maya's recipe is definitely not quick.

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/669159-Smoked-Pork-Chops

I made the ginger cabbage recipe that she included on the menu with the pork chops, and it was really great, too.  Served it with mashed potatoes.  Great meal.

• Like 1