• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Falling Back on Island Time

Anna N

attachicon.gifIMG_1667.jpg

Eeyore's Requiem for Anna.  

attachicon.gifIMG_1670.jpg

Pork chops - sous vide then little BGE, caramelized onions with apple, steamboy potatoes in chicken fat.

I want to say that the potatoes were the stars of this show. Unbelievably creamy inside. That I attribute to the steam oven.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

""   That I attribute to the steam oven  ""

Im sure the CSB has been a bit lonely.   Its making it up to you.

can you imagine the terrible Winter it's going to have left in a closet w nothing to do until the Spring ?

just saying.

• Like 4

attachicon.gifDSCN3351.jpg

Hopefully a good sign!

What are the mountains in the background?  I'm hoping that the ice comes early and you get frozen in so we can read about your adventures all winter.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

What are the mountains in the background?  I'm hoping that the ice comes early and you get frozen in so we can read about your adventures all winter.

It's the Canadian Shield rocks on the mainland known as the La Cloche Foothills - it gets more mountainous when you get to Willisville on the way to Espanola.   That's where Anna won't let me turn up the twisty dangerous road.  

I've been up here in the winter - not my idea of fun!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

Decided before the power ant out that I'd make myself a nice bacon, cheese and tomato sandwich for breakfast.  

Halfway through assembly realized I didn't have mayo in the fridge - made mayo.  In the interest of full disclosure the secret ingredient is anchovy - those of you who are allergic - please look away!

DSCN3356.jpg

Then realized I didn't have bacon cooked - DUH!

DSCN3360.jpg

Vegetarian bacon, cheese and tomato sandwich.  

• Like 5

An enforced day of retail therapy requires lots of sustenance! Remember that they are going to turn out the lights at 9 am and won't turn them back on until 4 pm. We will spend most of the day shopping in Espanola along with much of the population of the Island.

image.jpg

Leftover pork and sautéed onions and apples on toasted home-made sandwich bread.

Edited to fix spelling.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

My immersion blender mayo refused to emulsify yesterday. (I think I know where went wrong, but won't know until I get it right.) What proportions do you use, and are you doing the 2-minute immersion blender route? I like the anchovy idea.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Didn't measure anything - one egg, squirt of dijon, juice of half a small (but juicy) lemon, squirt of olive oil, bunch of grape seed oil (maybe 3/4 of a cup?) - just plunked the immersion blender to the bottom and lifted when I could see white in the bottom.

Nope - sucker is 120 lbs and too big for the car. Now if I could get a little travel size..,

You use a home freeze dryer?  This must have come up in another thread somewhere.  I'm very curious about that.

If there is a thread on it somewhere, I'd appreciate a link to it!

Remember that they are going to turn out the lights at 9 am and won't turn them back on until 4 pm.

We had ours last Sunday. 8 am - 4 pm and they didn't give a single minute at either end. I don't mind them so much on nice days, I usually just plan a really long bike ride, but it was chilly and raining all day.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You use a home freeze dryer?  This must have come up in another thread somewhere.  I'm very curious about that.

If there is a thread on it somewhere, I'd appreciate a link to it!

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/149399-freeze-driers-and-freeze-dried-food/

Settle in for a good read.  And, be ready to have freeze envy.

• Like 1

Didn't measure anything - one egg, squirt of dijon, juice of half a small (but juicy) lemon, squirt of olive oil, bunch of grape seed oil (maybe 3/4 of a cup?) - just plunked the immersion blender to the bottom and lifted when I could see white in the bottom.

I think it's the 'wait' part where I went wrong, but I may also have had the proportions wrong.  I'll try it again today.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I think it's the 'wait' part where I went wrong, but I may also have had the proportions wrong.  I'll try it again today.

Last time I did it - I forgot the wait at the bottom part too.  Remade it twice.

• Like 1

Pickin's are pretty slim in Espanola for lunch - so for the first time since 1978 I ate in a KFC.  Amazing how one gallbladder episode can put you off a certain food almost indefinitely (don't think I'll ever drink lemon gin again)!

DSCN3361.jpg

3 piece box for Anna.  

DSCN3364.jpg

Chicken bowl for me.  

• Like 3

Managed to wile away about 5 hours in Espanola while we waited for Hydro to do their thing (improvements of some sort Rotuts - but not quite sure what).  It gave us the opportunity to browse more than we usually do - which resulted in a few purchases.  

DSCN3366.jpg

There is a frozen duck there that was very reasonable and will provide two meals - as well as a chicken that was less than half the usual price that  will go to make stock.  Brussel's sprouts and heaven forbid Fuji apples - required for a project.  Shallots are available in Espanola - not often in Little Current at this time of year.  

DSCN3368.jpg

Cashews were $1.99 a can - checker commented on how many cans he had seen pass his scanner today.  Some nice looking lamb chops - reduced, and the star of the show - sour watermelon Peeps!  Those will be chocolate dipped.  

DSCN3369.jpg

The bags that Anna has wanted since we saw them in the grocery store in the summer - thank god there were still a few there!

• Like 6

Oh my goodness! My guts are churning just looking at that.

Heavens to Murgatroyd! I looked over and was envious. Mind you I was also mighty hungry. Eating at KFC was a bit of nostalgia for me. The last time I recall eating there was with my late hubby. We had a miserable drive up to the Island with a breakdown in Barrie that took hours to sort while our coolers full of fresh food slowly warmed up and passed through the danger zone. We were so hungry and so tired when we reached Espanola and the only place still open was KFC. We swore after that it was the best meal ever! You have to be tired enough and hungry enough to even begin to understand. I knew Kerry was no fan of KFC but suspect she read my mind and knew I wanted to stop there. You'll be pleased to know I'm cured. I won't need a return trip for at least 5 years.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Is that Made in Canada Hawkins Cheezies???!!!!  :wub:

I love that Castello Danish Blue Cheese, it's a staple for me. And I really like those Campbell's Broths, which surprised me when I first tried them. I get the No Salt Added ones and use them quite often. Does anyone know if they are available in the US? The last time I was in the US for a while, I took some down with me.