• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

Paper on the windows of Soupspoons... or whatever the heck it was called... on West 4th opposite Capers. I meant to cross the street and read the notice on the windows but got caught up in a conversation with my favorite alternative newspaper seller.

'Tis it true that the rumors are correct and "Fish Cafe' will be opening there soon?

About time something interesting happened in the 'hood.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I believe the sign on the door of SoupSpoons said they were closed for painting for the next while and would reopen.

If it is FishCafe why wouldn't they capitalize on advance publicity rather than do a last minute unveiling?

I believe the sign on the door of SoupSpoons said they were closed for painting for the next while and would reopen.

If it is FishCafe why wouldn't they capitalize on advance publicity rather than do a last minute unveiling?

Fish Cafe will be opening in about 2 weeks, this store will simply be called Fish even though our other store on 41st is Fish Cafe. We are going through a rebranding period right now. thanks for the interest.

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca

The Ethiopian Restaurant on South Granville, Selassie, appears to be closed. What's the deal with those restaurants right after the bridge going South on Granville? They are just strange looking (except Paul's - I get that). There is some Cheesecake place that has been there ever since I moved to Vancouver in 1986. Anyone been? Any explanation?

Gastronomista

I don't like Cheesecake Etc. The two times I went it was a variation of cheesecake items: plain cheesecake, chocolate cheesecake, strawberry cheesecake, parfait, possible some other things. I don't like the consistency of the cheesecake because I like my cheesecakes really rich & dense. Also, the "chocolate" and "strawberry" cheesecakes are just the normal cheesecake but with thin chocolate/strawberry sauce drizzled on it. The parfait had chunks of the cheesecake in it with something, I don't remember what.

I always wondered about that little cluster of stores too - they make me think of an old gypsy lady peering into her crystal ball, or that machine Tom Hanks made his wish on in Big.

The Ethiopian Restaurant on South Granville, Selassie, appears to be closed. What's the deal with those restaurants right after the bridge going South on Granville?  They are just strange looking (except Paul's - I get that).  There is some Cheesecake place that has been there ever since I moved to Vancouver in 1986.  Anyone been?  Any explanation?

It seems to me that when Pacific Press was across the street, the restaurants in that area were a hangout for reporters - maybe reporters are especially fond of cheesecake. I think the Press Club is still there.

Once Pacific Press moved downtown, the area kind of stagnated in terms of restaurants. I suspect rent is cheap, making it look like a bargain for someone who is starting up with little cash.

Cheers,

Anne

The people who own Cheesecake Etc must own the building - I cannot see how they could make their rent otherwise. Their cheesecake is right from the early 80's - a gelatin mushy texture that you can only otherwise get from Mcain's frozen desserts. You have your choice of napping your dessert with a strawberry sauce straight oughta DQ.

But the place has its timewarp charms - memories of overgelled hair and nursing a pot of teas with a posse from the UBC Chinese Varsity Club. Good times.

Been seeing a lot of action in Gastown in the old Honey's/Characters space where Water Street starts and Alexander ends. Looks like there is potential for a cool new restaurant - they have huge signs that advertise "eat" "sip" "lounge" (I think?). There is an email address to contact if you're interested in working there - something @sojojo.com. Checked out the website, but couldn't find any info about the new restaurant.

Anyone got the scoop? It would be fantastic for something cool and trendy to go into that space. With summertime coming up, it would be great to have a nice patio to hang out on :cool:

Enthuze (871 Denman Street) is closing on May 14.  Owners are heading to Le Cordon Bleu Culinary School in Paris.

Was this not recently a "restaurant of the Year " winner somewhere ?

I think it may have been a "people's choice" award of some sort. I seem to remember Waiterblog ranting about those awards.

Ah yes, here it is from the Enthuze website:

**VANCOUVER'S BEST NEW RESTAURANT**

...as voted by readers of the Westender

Cheers,

Anne

Been seeing a lot of action in Gastown in the old Honey's/Characters space where Water Street starts and Alexander ends. Looks like there is potential for a cool new restaurant - they have huge signs that advertise "eat" "sip" "lounge" (I think?). There is an email address to contact if you're interested in working there - something @sojojo.com. Checked out the website, but couldn't find any info about the new restaurant.

Anyone got the scoop? It would be fantastic for something cool and trendy to go into that space. With summertime coming up, it would be great to have a nice patio to hang out on  :cool:

Can't say too much but I'm working on the wine list. It should be a very cool space with a large patio. Mum's the word right now and the wine list will be pretty cool.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The Ethiopian Restaurant on South Granville, Selassie, appears to be closed. What's the deal with those restaurants right after the bridge going South on Granville?  They are just strange looking (except Paul's - I get that).  There is some Cheesecake place that has been there ever since I moved to Vancouver in 1986.  Anyone been?  Any explanation?

The Cheesecake restaurant is a classic haunt for the young asian crowd for many years. I suspect the cheesecake style is aimed to that group. They seem to like their cakes very light. I, being a nice jewish boy, like my cheesecake dense, and creamcheese thick.

There is some Cheesecake place that has been there ever since I moved to Vancouver in 1986.  Anyone been?  Any explanation?

The Cheesecake restaurant is a classic haunt for the young asian crowd for many years. I suspect the cheesecake style is aimed to that group. They seem to like their cakes very light. I, being a nice jewish boy, like my cheesecake dense, and creamcheese thick.

I was going to Cheesecake Etc. (this places name btw) over 20 years ago when I was going to university and was still young and hip ... okay, young.

It used to be a kinda Bohemian place with live music and good coffee, and use-a-chissel dense cheesecake ... or at least denser than the pudding-with-cracker-crust stuff they substitued years later. I think there was a change of ownership, but I don't know for sure.

Now it's just sad.

A.

Un-confirmed but it sounds like Chi closed its doors tonight. Several of my wine friends showed up for a reso and were told the restaurant had closed its doors. :shock:

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I can see that. Chinese birthday cake, with whipped cream and fruit is light and airy, and I love that sometimes. I'm of the not-so-young Asian crowd these days, and like my cheesecake both ways. I started going to Cheesecake Etc. about 14 years ago in my university days (wow...), and liked the atmosphere then (not as Asian, live music), and am still comfortable now in the more Asian, still university, but less bohemian crowd. But I really like their light airy cheesecake, which I think is the same stuff they were serving when I first went (they've never had any crust in the time I've been going). Don't get the chocolate cheesecake though. The other side (Tiger something) looks like another restaurant, but it's not. It's got the same menu, just with brighter lighting and bad decor. Maybe an attempt to get a different crowd... I find it hideous. Guess I'll stay on the Asian side ;)

Edited by Dumpling Girl (log)

Hello everyone

Vera's is pleased to announce that we will be opening our new location in kits this week, its right next door to the old one. In the coming weeks we will also be including a liquor license, salads with flavour shots, and ice cream with flavour shots.

address 1925 cornwall ave

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Hello everyone

Vera's is pleased to announce that we will be opening our new location in kits this week, its right next door to the old one.  In the coming weeks we will also be including a liquor license, salads with flavour shots, and ice cream with flavour shots.

address 1925 cornwall ave

Hi Gerald

Good Stuff, looking forward to seeing the new store, I will be opening my store on 4th in about 10 days, we are rebranding from Fish Cafe to just Fish.

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca

Watch for the new Korean restaurant (same owner as Kyung Bok Palace in North Vancouver) in Lansdowne Mall in Richmond.

It should be opening later this month. Their wang kalbi (BBQ short ribs) is to die for. Opens till 2am daily last time we checked with the owners.

Not related but we may be sending some students interested in Asian cuisine to work there as interns this summer.

The last (?) Popeyes in the lower mainland (in Coquitlam) has the often posted restaurant sign "closed for renovations"... I'm holding my breath for the reopening with the new paint and cleaned floors with exactly the same menu - I'm sure.

Or maybe it will be yet another Korean BBQ place which seem to be abundant in that area.

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

Ordinary cafe on 4th has been replaced with Sushi Hut? But the sign now readings Ordinary Sushi Hut!

Cheers!

What!

How many is that now- I lost count.

Ten in 20 years

steve

sidebar- somebody needs to exercise that place

Edited by stovetop (log)
Cook To Live; Live To Cook