• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

Well topos in the former bravo space on wharf ST is now open (Victoria). According to a lady who met me at the door it is authentic italian food. I liked the room when it was bravo, no longer do I feel the same.

Meanwhile in Victoria, Earl's has apparently locked up the Elephant and Castle space at Government and View. Quite the solid location!

Wow, it sure is! Just imagine the tourist dollars rolling in there during the high season ...... kaching!

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Meanwhile in Victoria, Earl's has apparently locked up the Elephant and Castle space at Government and View. Quite the solid location!

Wow, it sure is! Just imagine the tourist dollars rolling in there during the high season ...... kaching!

This was supposed to take place way back in September, IIRC.

What I don't understand, is why Earl's would give up their Blanshard St. location. It had the lock down on the 'new arena' traffic. That is, assuming they are giving it up. Would they operatate two locations in the downtown core? "Hey, Steve-o. We need someone on grill at the mall. Here's $2 for a cab. Get right back here after the rush, Shania's last encore is at 10!"

Methinks Milestone's clutch on downtown tourist dollars is over. Cactus, Ric's, Keg, now Earl's? That's pretty heavy saturation. Thank goodness Milestone's is building up in the 'burbs around these parts. Or, thank Pat Allabarton. :wink:

-- Matt.

last i heard, earl's is keeping their location next to the arena, as well as opening up a few blocks away in the bay centre. different crowds of tourists, i suppose.

Comment re. New Restaurant in Gastown

I wandered by one of my new favourite hangouts in Gastown the other day, Moonshine, and saw they are being asked to change their name by the liquor board! Wonder what they'll call it now? What a pain in the neck for them to have to go through all that re-branding. But maybe they can swing it to get a bit of extra publicity?

At any rate, if you haven't checked out the restaurant yet, I highly recommend it. Lots of good, inexpensive wines, tons of beer by the bottle and an interesting and unique tapas menu. The small platters are wonderful for sharing and the atmosphere is perfect for relaxing and enjoying the Gastown vibe. They're located just behind Gassy Jack's. Here's a link to their microsite: http://www.gastown.org/microsite/moons001

I wandered by one of my new favourite hangouts in Gastown the other day, Moonshine, and saw they are being asked to change their name by the liquor board! Wonder what they'll call it now?

Asked or Told?

If asked, balls. If told, how about...

Censorship

Liquor Bored

No Fun City

Boss Hogg

If they've asked or told because the name is associated with booze, I trust Vintropolis, Cru, and Chianti's got a call, too, for when fear reigns stupidity abounds. :hmmm:

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Asked or Told?

Aaahhh, yes, you are very right! That's an important distinction! :biggrin:

It reminds me of the Deniro's ---> Section Three ordeal from years ago. It will be interesting to see what the outcome of this is.

And actually, I really like your "1984" suggestion - not only does it have the appropriate overtones, but it also goes with the retro/funky vibe of the place :cool:

Comment re. New Restaurant in Gastown

I wandered by one of my new favourite hangouts in Gastown the other day, Moonshine, and saw they are being asked to change their name by the liquor board! Wonder what they'll call it now? What a pain in the neck for them to have to go through all that re-branding. But maybe they can swing it to get a bit of extra publicity?

At any rate, if you haven't checked out the restaurant yet, I highly recommend it. Lots of good, inexpensive wines, tons of beer by the bottle and an interesting and unique tapas menu. The small platters are wonderful for sharing and the atmosphere is perfect for relaxing and enjoying the Gastown vibe. They're located just behind Gassy Jack's. Here's a link to their microsite: http://www.gastown.org/microsite/moons001

Went there last week. Nice selection of beers, food looked interesting, wine selection pretty boring, but great friendly staff and a cool group of customers.

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Hi:

It reminds me of the Deniro's ---> Section Three ordeal from years ago. It will be interesting to see what the outcome of this is.

Was it not robert " deniro " who sued?

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I wandered by one of my new favourite hangouts in Gastown the other day, Moonshine, and saw they are being asked to change their name by the liquor board! Wonder what they'll call it now?

Who thinks this would still be an issue if Moonshine was in a different neighborhood? (Nobody? Okay then.) This hyper-sensitivity toward the DTES is ultimately an insult to the people who live there.

Hatch on broadway by Main/Kingsway is closed and will be replaced with a new restaurant (name escapes me at the moment).

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

The old Quay Restaurant on Marinaside in Yaletown will now be................

VINTROPOLIS # 2!

I prefer wine to sports however a big sorry to all you sports fans!

Are you serious? :blink: Could they not have given it a better name? It would be like calling Sean's retaurants Fiction , Fiction (#2) and Fiction (#3). Let's hope they come up with something better, It's a great spot.

Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is. - P. J. O'Rourke

I can't see how the LDB could make Moonshine change it's name, given the double meaning. At the very worst, all they would have to do is put a space in the appropriate spot, as opposed to rebranding.

I can't see how the LDB could make Moonshine change it's name, given the double meaning. At the very worst, all they would have to do is put a space in the appropriate spot, as opposed to rebranding.

Just a bit of trivia: the Atlantic Trap and Gill on Davie was originally supposed to be the Atlantic Tap and Grill

so um what's the logic behind our great LDB deciding to rename Moonshine and leaving Four 'N' Twenty :rolleyes:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

The old Quay Restaurant on Marinaside in Yaletown will now be................

VINTROPOLIS # 2!

I prefer wine to sports however a big sorry to all you sports fans!

Are you serious? :blink: Could they not have given it a better name? It would be like calling Sean's retaurants Fiction , Fiction (#2) and Fiction (#3). Let's hope they come up with something better, It's a great spot.

Sorry for the confusion. It will be called something else I am sure, but it is the same people (Connie Marples) and the same theme!

Maybe Vintropolis Marinaside.??

Gastronomista

Just an update on The Ordinary turned Sushi Bar (4th Ave.)- Dennis the owner/chef is now the chef at Grammercy Grill on Arbutus and his mother, who backed him, is running the Sushi Bar in the old space until the lease runs out and the demo work starts.

Leave it to a crafty Mom to maximize the investment!

was surprised to see golden great wall szechuan on broadway is no more

Me too, until I realized they've moved just a few blocks west. Can't remember what the cross-street is, but they now have a corner location.

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

Just an update on The Ordinary turned Sushi Bar (4th Ave.)- Dennis the owner/chef is now the chef at Grammercy Grill on Arbutus and his mother, who backed him, is running the Sushi Bar in the old space until the lease runs out and the demo work starts.

Leave it to a crafty Mom to maximize the investment!

Nuts! I kept meaning to try the Ordinary Cafe. Heard good things. So it's already the Sushi Bar? Hmmm...I wonder how it would have done if it was called The Extraordinary Cafe?

Edited by Dumpling Girl (log)