• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2006–2008 part 1)

Vancouver

California does it too:

Bin 8945, a modern bistro and raw bar offering nearly 60 wines by the glass, is opening in West Hollywood in mid-June.

AND Seattle

35th Street Bistro — formerly that hallowed hippified haunt Still Life in Fremont

:raz:

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

Just walked by 1st and Yew. Adesso is being turned into Karv, a 'southern Californian casual' joint according to the new operators. Should be open in a couple of weeks after some minor renos. Didn't get a chance to find out where these guys have come from. Apparently even though Adesso had okay traffic, they were still losing money. I guess maybe that corner needs something more casual.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

At 666 Burrard Street there is a new restaurant opening called 666.  It's supposed to be the new hot as hell place to be seen.

Oh - sorry - that was just a nightmare I had.

do we have to sell our soul to the devil to walk through the door? :raz:

Quentina

Does anyone know anything about the latest Indian restaurant on the 1200 block of Robson? It's called Flavours of India and has replaced Da Pasta Bar.

Interestingly, there are now 3 Indian restaurants within a block on Robson - Taste of India, Indian Flavours and now Flavours of India.

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

My wife and I had been following the progress of Red Pepper on West Broadway (couple of doors down from Cru). After several months, the OPENING SOON sign was finally gone and, we assumed, the establishment was open for business. We dropped by last night to check it out. Even though the sign outside said OPEN, the place was empty. There was also another sign on the front window that read OPENING SOON: PORTOBELLA RISTORANTE.

Did I miss something? Like the week and a half Red Pepper was actually in business?

Edited by LordBalthazar (log)

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

My wife and I had been following the progress of Red Pepper on West Broadway (couple of doors down from Cru).  After several months, the OPENING SOON sign was finally gone and, we assumed, the establishment was open for business.  We dropped by last night to check it out.  Even though the sign outside said OPEN, the place was empty.  There was also another sign on the front window that read OPENING SOON: PORTOBELLA RISTORANTE. 

Did I miss something?  Like the week and a half Red Pepper was actually in business?

They'd been in operations for maybe six months. I don't think I ever saw more than two or three of the tables occupied whenever I walked by.

My Blog - My Dinner Table

My wife and I had been following the progress of Red Pepper on West Broadway (couple of doors down from Cru).  After several months, the OPENING SOON sign was finally gone and, we assumed, the establishment was open for business.  We dropped by last night to check it out.  Even though the sign outside said OPEN, the place was empty.  There was also another sign on the front window that read OPENING SOON: PORTOBELLA RISTORANTE. 

Did I miss something?  Like the week and a half Red Pepper was actually in business?

I'm guessing this also might be the revival of the restaurant that Mistral took over?

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

The 3400 block of W. Broadway (across from the TD Bank) will soon be the home of The Cream Puff Cafe ("best cream puffs in town"). They are now taking resumes.

I wonder if this will be a knock off of the Beard Papa cream puff shops from Japan that are operating in New York and San Francisco?

What with the opening of Cupcakes, Hola Churros, Tim Hortons and now Cream Puff Cafe in the last year it might be time to rename the stretch of W. Broadway between MacDonald and Alma - West Lardass!

Signs are up indicating that Red Burrito is moving into the Lonsdale location vacated recently by Steam Rollers.

"I went to a restaurant that serves breakfast at anytime.

So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance".

Steven Wright

With all the openings and closings can't we get some decent restaurants in Kerrisdale? Let's hope Adesso (or son of) can come up with something. I vote that they take over the Sleep Country Canada storefront.

:laugh:

Hey Ajisai is a wonderful restaurant by Kerrisdale :)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Saw a bit of building action in Gastown at the old One Restaurant location. They've (wisely) removed the film covering the windows and have stuck some words to the windows ("warm and cozy"). They've so far kept the One signage, so no idea if there's a new name coming.

Hopefully they'll have better luck in that spot than the last place did!

I just called the Living Room Bistro and they are now called the Flying

Tiger (I just got scared and hung up :shock:  - actually the mailbox was full).  Know anything?

Here's what Tim Pawsey had to say in the most recent Courier:

Iranzad is gearing up to reopen the former Living Room space as an energized salute to hawker fare, with wide ranging, Asian small plates from chef Tina Fineza (ex Bin 942). Look for Flying Tiger to open in late June.

Cheers,

Anne

With all the openings and closings can't we get some decent restaurants in Kerrisdale? Let's hope Adesso (or son of) can come up with something. I vote that they take over the Sleep Country Canada storefront.

Does anyone know where Adesso will be opening?

Gastronomista

Dropped into the newly opened Okanagan Estate Wine Cellar 3600 W4th.

Only been there 3 weeks-comely selection of OK VQA product and friendly enthusiastic staff.

Well worth checking out if you're in the hood a long needed alternative to the drab and dingy Govt Liquor store nearby.

The old Quay Restaurant on Marinaside in Yaletown will now be................

VINTROPOLIS # 2!

I prefer wine to sports however a big sorry to all you sports fans!

Are you serious? :blink: Could they not have given it a better name? It would be like calling Sean's retaurants Fiction , Fiction (#2) and Fiction (#3). Let's hope they come up with something better, It's a great spot.

From Vintropolis Newsletter - Watch for the opening of Vintropolis' sister restaurant Bardot Lounge and Grille at 1137 Marinaside Crescent in Yaletown. (in the old Quay Restaurant location)

Gastronomista

The old Quay Restaurant on Marinaside in Yaletown will now be................

VINTROPOLIS # 2!

I prefer wine to sports however a big sorry to all you sports fans!

Are you serious? :blink: Could they not have given it a better name? It would be like calling Sean's retaurants Fiction , Fiction (#2) and Fiction (#3). Let's hope they come up with something better, It's a great spot.

From Vintropolis Newsletter - Watch for the opening of Vintropolis' sister restaurant Bardot Lounge and Grille at 1137 Marinaside Crescent in Yaletown. (in the old Quay Restaurant location)

When. Nothing has happened in there for the longest time.

I saw someone taking stuff out of there a while back but have not seen anything go in.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Cassis Bistro will open for brunch starting this Sunday at 10:30 am :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG