• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2013–2015

ChrisTaylor

Matilda is still eating and growing.  She added to her web.  It's HUGE now.  I named the second spider Madison. We had a third one....small, wee spider, she was.  She had a cool web going.  I couldn't find her a couple days ago.  I figured she was out hunting.  Then, I made it over to Madison's web....she was eating the third spider.

Yes.  Madison is a cannibal.  :shock:

Uh.....sure spider #3 wasn't a HE????

Many females spiders consume the male after mating ... some even before.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Shelby - I found a relative of Matilda's in my garden this morning. Obviously, the Northern branch of the family. She's built her web in a most inconvenient (for me) spot - stretched between the garden fence and one of the tomato cages. The web is nearly invisible and I'm afraid I damaged it before I saw it - and ended up with some web and a dead fly in my hair. She is out there repairing it as i type. I'll be more careful.

Ah, yes.  Matilda speaks fondly of her cousins up north  :biggrin: .  

Uh.....sure spider #3 wasn't a HE????

Many females spiders consume the male after mating ... some even before.

:shock:  That must be it.  I'll posthumously name him Martin.  I hope the death occurred  after the mating at least.........

They really do eat a lot of bugs.  I hope they stay thru the remainder of gardening season.

• Like 1

Well I learned something today.  I knew that female praying mantises ate their mates but not that garden spiders did as well.  More of a bug eat bug world than a dog eat dog world isn't it?  

I scored some Hatch chiles Wednesday but it must have been a rough trip back to Iowa..  Glad I only bought a dozen.  My home grown mini  peppers have skin so thick is could  pass for dinosaur hide.  Not a good garden year for me.  but I sure enjoy seeing the others..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I pulled and shelled the coco noir beans:

DSC00171.jpg

And, finally (actually normal timing for this area, but looking at all your gorgeous pictures has made me impatient) the tomatoes are coming in:

DSC00173.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

I picked the first mahogany garnets, one of this year's experiments

DSC00183.jpg:

They are beautiful and delicious. True to the seed catalog description, the skin is very thin and they bruise easily. Not a tomato you are likely to see in a store.

• Like 8

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Oooooooh, pretty Elaina!!!!  I could stare at those tomatoes all day and those beans are awesome.

Thanks Shelby - I like lots of different colors. Not quite as important as taste when choosing varieties but close.

• Like 3

I thought Duluth was lagging behind the rest of the country, ElainaA. Now I see we aren't alone; our tomatoes are just coming in, too. Yours are beauties!

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Slowing down here, too.  I'm only picking maybe 5 'maters a day.  Okra still going good, though.  I finally had enough to freeze a bag for gumbo later.  Lots of green tomatoes on so if it stays hot we'll have some in a few weeks.  

Took pictures of the spiders today.  They said to tell ya'll hello.

I lost Matilda for a couple of days.  Found her this morning.  She made a new web by the Brandywine tomatoes.  

P9030694.JPG

Maddy still going strong.

P9030690.JPG

• Like 7

Shelby, are those green tomatoes a second batch on the same prolific vines you've been harvesting, or do you have a variety that sets fruit later than the rest? And are you a bit relieved that the pace has slowed somewhat?

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Shelby, are those green tomatoes a second batch on the same prolific vines you've been harvesting, or do you have a variety that sets fruit later than the rest? And are you a bit relieved that the pace has slowed somewhat?

It seems like the Brandywines are a bit slower so I still have green ones that need to ripen on those.  Mostly it's a second set on the same plants.  They aren't near as big as the first batch (and they won't taste as good...but way better than grocery store).

Every time I think about being relieved I remind myself that in a few short weeks we won't have any more fresh ones.  You'll never see me complain about having too many tomatoes.  :biggrin:

• Like 2

When I was gardening in Memphis, we always had green tomatoes that the frost would take if I didn't get them inside. They eventually ripen. Like Shelby says, they're not as good as the sun-ripened in the garden ones, but still beat commercial ones. Bonus: fried green tomatoes whenever you want way into fall and early winter.

BTW, organic pest control is a nascent industry, and a significant piece of successful gardening. There are businesses that sell lady bugs and other beneficial insects you can release to control aphids or other pests. Not so much spiders, because they're hard to sell commercially, but they are a definite benefit to any garden. They are carnivores, only eating other insects, many of which happily prey on your carefully nurtured plants.

http://gardeningzone.com/pages/release-instructions-tips

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

re. green tomatoes - I recently did a quickle with some that blew off my plant in a storm. Very good even though I forgot garlic.

That's a great idea, cyalexa. Thanks! Now I know what I'll be doing when our cherry tomatoes stop ripening. :-)

• Like 1

When I was gardening in Memphis, we always had green tomatoes that the frost would take if I didn't get them inside. They eventually ripen. Like Shelby says, they're not as good as the sun-ripened in the garden ones, but still beat commercial ones. Bonus: fried green tomatoes whenever you want way into fall and early winter.

Thanks for the Crepes, have you tried Cherub, Kumato or Campari tomatoes from your friendly neighborhood supermarket before? 

As for dealing with green tomatoes, you might find this interesting:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/aug/19/supermarket-tomatoes-tastier-dunked-hot-water-study

It might be an idea to do that with one's own green tomatoes too...

• Like 1

I love Campari especially and Kumato. My local Trader Joe's carries both spottily at affordable prices. Even mainstream groceries now offer brown tomatoes sometimes, which look a lot like Kumato, and taste better than the styromates, at discount prices. I haven't had the opportuntity to try Cherub. It's now on my radar, and thanks, huiray! Are Cherub varieties cherries, or another version of diminutive tomato? I've never heard of them. I really appreciate any info that brings me closer to the taste of the home grown tomatoes I used to take for granted.  :smile:

Also thanks for the link to hot water dunked tomatoes of dubious quality. Anyone who has grown one knows they are always tastiest warmed by the sun and eaten right off the vine.

We used to bring them inside and make tomato sandwiches on squishy white bread with mayo. Sounds weird, but it's a Southern US summer staple for a reason.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I love Campari especially and Kumato. My local Trader Joe's carries both spottily at affordable prices. Even mainstream groceries now offer brown tomatoes sometimes, which look a lot like Kumato, and taste better than the styromates, at discount prices. I haven't had the opportuntity to try Cherub. It's now on my radar, and thanks, huiray! Are Cherub varieties cherries, or another version of diminutive tomato? I've never heard of them. I really appreciate any info that brings me closer to the taste of the home grown tomatoes I used to take for granted.  :smile:

:-)

Cherubs

I'd call them more like a grape tomato.  It's a Dutch hybrid, available year-round - at least in some parts.

• Like 1

ok this is a test and my first photo of my garden 

this is my boy muskovy duck /21268292482_5c3b63f778.jpghe is alone because he is an asshole and no one wants to hang out with him right now 

it is a very delicious duck ..my favorite meat actually is Muskovy I keep reminding him of this fact 

they are all turned loose in the garden right now (8 ducks and 13 chickens I thought one chicken was dead and it came back after a month well fed and happy ) they will eat everything including the bugs and slugs and give me (all but the muskies they are seasonal layers and really are our meat ducks) the other ducks give sometimes two eggs a day the chickens lay all over the neighborhood I gave up they are feeding everyone now 

I have a flicker sight I started a couple of years ago and now feel even sillier I guess you can see some of the garden here if you like ? https://www.flickr.com/gp/77351416@N04/6hKD7j I put the photos I ran out and took today in an album of the summer ..I can not believe how difficult I made this all seem ..everything is so green now and there are no captions ..I kept things individually watered but we finally had rain this past week and everything behind my garden became green again …crazy weather 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 9
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

msg-71927-0-09017600-1441905429ElainaA2.jpg

msg-71927-0-80755200-1441905379 Elaina.jpg

Today's pickage (Shelby thank you for this word!). I didn't get a picture of the red and yellow peppers. A lot of this goes into tonight's dinner: gratin of eggplant with roasted peppers and roasted garlic and tomato sauce. It's getting to the race between ripeness and frost. I still have lots of green tomatoes, a few tiny eggplants and peppers working on turning red or yellow. I've got about 2-3 weeks until average date for frost. But yesterday it was over 90. Right now its 55. Strange. 

Edited by Smithy
Re-added photos at Member Request (log)
  • Like 3

Oh Franci, I hope they grow and produce lots of wonderful courgettes and cucumbers! I can tell you that I have had extraordinary results from Renee's seeds. I have bought her seeds for several things - tomatoes, beets, chard, crookneck squash, radishes, eggplant, Scarlet Runner beans, hot peppers, various lettuces (I'm especially fond of the "Ruby and Emerald Duet" which really is lovely grown in containers). I've had very high germination rates and the plants have almost all done well and produced as described.

The courgette trompettes sound lovely, I think I will try growing them sometime! They sound much tastier than regular zucchini. 

I've realized I didn't post about the courgettes and the "pagnottelle" cucumbers.

These courgettes invaded the whole space, also the garden next door :-)))) Next year only two plants. The cucumbers are not ready yet, still too hairy and not enough sun in my garden unfortunately. Next year definitely more salads.

I've fried so many  courgettes' flowers and so many in the freezer that just for that was worth it

Trombetta

trombetta.JPG

Pagnottella, maybe ready in a week

pagnottella.JPG

• Like 5

Decided to dig up one of my monster basil plants for indoor use.  We'll see how long it lasts.

Good luck. I've not been successful with basil inside. We have a new greenhouse and when it cools off I may try a pot in there. I have some cuttings with roots in a glass.