• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

We hosted our first big bbq of the year yesterday. We were showing off our newly refinished deck, so we gave it a little extra effort…

Akaushi Brisket (sliced flat and burnt ends)

Duroc breed pulled pork

Sriracha Mayo Potato Salad (roasted new potatoes, farmer’s market fresh asparagus coins and little batons of “hail stone” radishes, cubed red bell pepper and roughly chopped Peppadew peppers)

Candied Jalapeno Cole Slaw

Corn Muffins with fresh corn kernels mixed in, topped w/crumbled bacon and served with homemade Maple Butter

Bacon & BBQ Rub Deviled Eggs

Homemade Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream with Chewy Ginger-Cinnamon Cookies

It went over pretty well, I’m looking forward to doing more of these as the produce selection at the Farmer’s Markets begins to expand. While the Akaushi breed brisket is awesome and beautiful, it’s about double the cost of good Vintage Breed from my butcher (7.95/lb vs. 3.95/lb). I’ll get it again and try a different preparation, but I don’t think you get the bang for the buck flavor or texture wise when you smoke it…although due to the rich marbling it only took me 10.5 hours to smoke a 13lb brisket vs. the usual 13 or so. Plus another 1.5 hours or so to “burn” the burnt ends.

Adding an extreme-closeup lustful photo of my burnt ends...

kobeburntends.JPG

edited for wording

Edited by Zeemanb (log)

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

With the nice weather finally coming

A little surf and turf sounded good :smile:

The lobster was put in boiling water for 3 min and finished on the Egg

The rib steaks were seared on the coals and finished with the lobster

A few pics

The steaks on the coals

ribsteaks.jpg

Finishing off

frikkenyum.jpg

Plated

lobsterdinner.jpg

Thanks for looking

Shane

I combined red beets that had been pre-cooked in the microwave with chunks of cornbread (baked with lots of scallion), shrimp, feta, and green onion slices - into the oven at 500F to warm and crisp a bit, showered with some snipped fresh mint, and served with a wasabi sour cream. It hit the sweet spot for me.

The beets had been tossed with fresh squeezed orange juice while warm so that added a note. The shot is before the high heat.

DSCN0984.JPG

Thanks Percyn

I haven't heard of any health issues, but I sure someone has brought it up. There is very little residue from the coals and the fire is very hot. I will have to do some research. In the mean time, I will keep doing them like this :smile:

Thai salad of prawns and chicken cooked in a light red curry and coconut milk sauce, sweetened with palm sugar and dressed with fish sauce. Mixed with sliced snowpeas, mint, coriander, red onion and crispy shallots, over rice.

2011-05-25 at 19.24.34.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

What is juicy lucy?

There are 2 restaurants in Minneapolis that claim to have created this style where they take 2 1/4 patties, throw cheese between then use their fingers to fuse the 2 patties together. One calls it Juicy Lucy and the others Jucy Lucy. Interesting gimmick that works pretty well :) Keeps the grill clean of burning cheese as well.

We had out of town company staying with us last weekend, so I had the opportunity to cook for more than just the two of us. We had dinner out on Thursday but Friday was dinner at our home. We had gone down to Galveston for the day and stopped at Katie's for some fresh snapper. I baked the fillets with dots of butter, salt, pepper, and lemon slices.

Snapper-03.jpg

But before we had the fish, we had a loaf of 'no knead' bread with a roasted red pepper and artichoke salsa, on the patio.

Bread%20and%20Spreads.jpg

On Saturday night we had a loaded pizza using Reinhart's Pizza Americana dough from his American Pie. We like lots of toppings and this dough made the perfect crust.

PizzaAmericana-02a.jpg

PizzaAmericana-02b.jpg

PizzaAmericana-02d.jpg

Dinner on Sunday was at a local Tex-Mex restaurant, La Brisa, and everyone returned home on Monday morning. Monday night, I used up some of the leftovers - I topped a lemon baked flounder fillet with the last of the crawfish etouffee and deep-fried crawfish tails from our Thursday dinner at Abe's Cajun Kitchen.

Flounder-01.jpg

DSCN7745.JPG

From left to right:

Arachuvitta vengaya sambar (shallot sambar with freshly ground spices)

Thakkali paruppu rasam (tomato rasam)

Muttakos poriyal (dry cabbage dish with coconut)

Urulaikizhangu podimas (mashed potato dry vegetable dish)

Plain yogurt

Mango pickle

And of course, rice :)

Edited by Jenni (log)

Wonderful meals, everyone.

ChrisTaylor, that fried chicken from Ad Hoc sent me searching on the web for the recipe. (I found it, here: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/restaurant-reproductions/restaurant-recipe-buttermilk-fried-chicken-from-ad-hoc-080197 ) Your lamb shoulder dinner looked like my kind of food, too.

Zeemanb, it sounds like you got BBQ season off to a good start.

An easy dinner here, Pontormo's Salad, a warm salad of scrambled eggs, pancetta, herbs, and mixed greens.

PontormosSalad012.jpg

There's something about eggs and bitter greens that go together well. I especially like the dressing in this recipe, which includes balsamic vinegar and red wine.

The recipe is here. I reduced the amt of S&P to taste.

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-wintersaladrec1jan17,0,7009266.story

A lazy, semi-experimental meal. I roasted two tandoori chickens yesterday, and held them in the fridge:

DSCF0856.jpg

- along with the juices and spices you can see in the roasting tray, which I heated up again today and tempered with some cream, leftover from pasta-sauce making the other day:

DSCF0858.jpg

DSCF0859.jpg

DSCF0860.jpg

DSCF0862.jpg

I heated some peanut oil and infused it with currty leaves, strained & cooled it and added some fresh-picked chives and a little black pepper to dress some chopped tomatoes, and pressed a pizza's-worth of pizza dough into service as a leavened, grilled flatbread. Then I tried to arrange the plate to hide the fact that midnight munchies last night left one of the chickens reduced to less than half:

DSCF0864.jpg

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Looks great, Blether. Love the flatbread!

Dinner here was duck livers, sauteed in butter and then glazed in fig balsamic. Served with lightly toasted bread and a lemony green salad.

2011-05-28 at 19.00.09.jpg

That looks delicious; would you mind elaborating a bit on how you handled the liver? I have a rabbit liver I'll be sauteeing or frying this evening, and it's a first for me, so I'm interested in pretty much everything relating to the preparation of small livers, especially when I see results this good!

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

That looks delicious; would you mind elaborating a bit on how you handled the liver? I have a rabbit liver I'll be sauteeing or frying this evening, and it's a first for me, so I'm interested in pretty much everything relating to the preparation of small livers, especially when I see results this good!

I was actually going to make this Indian poultry liver curry with them, riffing on an idea I got from Blether a couple of weeks ago, but ran out of time..so just dusted them in cornflour (less pasty than normal flour) and salt and pepper. Heated quite a bit of butter till foamy and seared them for a minute on each side. They were still pretty damn pink but I like poultry livers underdone..would cook it a bit more for rabbit liver.

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

. . . .

I was actually going to make this Indian poultry liver curry with them, riffing on an idea I got from Blether a couple of weeks ago, but ran out of time..so just dusted them in cornflour (less pasty than normal flour) and salt and pepper. Heated quite a bit of butter till foamy and seared them for a minute on each side. They were still pretty damn pink but I like poultry livers underdone..would cook it a bit more for rabbit liver.

Thanks! Did you slice them before cooking, or after? In the image, it looks like before, but..?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Thanks! Did you slice them before cooking, or after? In the image, it look like before, but..?

Before. I trimmed them of all sinew and anything that looked greenish or unpleasant, which rendered some of them about half their original size. But duck livers (these ones, anyway) aren't that huge to begin with. Good luck with the rabbit liver, be sure to report back!

I am quite lucky right now-fresh Copper River Salmon from Alaska and fresh morels from the forest just a few miles out of town.

Copper River Salmon with Morel Custard and Fava Beans-

004 (3).JPG

Light dinner tonight:

187.JPG

Smoked bacon and wild mushrooms over sautéed spinach. Served with a baguette and good French butter, along with a glass of pinot grigio.

Mushrooms were cooked along with the bacon, then the spinach was sautéed in bacon drippings, with a couple of white shallots tossed in for good measure. Finished with lemon juice, onion chives and freshly ground black pepper.

Opening night of a long weekend brought with it surf and turf with balsamic truffle cream potatos and caprese salads:

surf n turf.jpg

followed by pound cake with strawberries, creme fraiche and turbinado sugar.

cake and berries.jpg

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Lovely meals, everyone!

Dinner here was jerusalem artichoke (sunchoke) soup. I'm always (re)amazed at how sweet and earthy these are, with nothing but a little onion and garlic cooked in butter, cream, salt and artichokes..topped with crispy parsnip chips and bread'n'butter on the side.

2011-05-29 at 14.09.08.jpg

Accumulated some photos over the last week or so.

Start with something for the offal lovers:

Machito, a sort of oversized goat offal sausage that's a specialty of my region. Knife for scale.

IMG_3263v2.jpg

Restaurants cook these until they're very very dry. I prefer to have some moisture left in the meat.

IMG_3282v2.jpg

Served with a simple tomato and guajillo salsa on flame-warmed tortilla, cilantro for garnish and a squeeze of lime.

Small shrimp, peeled and panfried in olive oil that's had garlic and habaneros fried in it. Sauce is fond and stock made from the shells, reduced, thickened with cornstarch and salt corrected with soy sauce.

IMG_3285v2.jpg

Fish.

NOT PICTURED: Chips.

IMG_3310v2.jpg

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Accumulated some photos over the last week or so.

Start with something for the offal lovers:

Machito, a sort of oversized goat offal sausage that's a specialty of my region. Knife for scale.

WOW, Dakki..that sausage looks incredible! :wub: Did you take any in-progress shots, perchance??

Dinner here was a bit of a Chinese-Japanese fusion of chicken breast, wrapped around ume (sour plum) paste and shiso leaves, dusted in cornflour and panfried. That's the Japanese. Gailan in XO sauce for the Chinese.

photo.JPG

Thanks! Did you slice them before cooking, or after? In the image, it look like before, but..?

Before. I trimmed them of all sinew and anything that looked greenish or unpleasant, which rendered some of them about half their original size. But duck livers (these ones, anyway) aren't that huge to begin with. Good luck with the rabbit liver, be sure to report back!

Rarerollingobject, thanks for all the information; the livers came out beautifully, but just a quarter of an hour or so before everything was ready to serve, I remembered that my boyfriend does not eat liver, except as pate'. So, I ended up dicing the sauteed livers (and kidneys), and sort of concealing the bits amongst the pinto beans. It tasted lovely anyway, and rabbit is always good; it was accompanied by rice, and sliced red bell peppers. I took two pictures (one of which is only partly out of focus), neither of which seems good enough to post, unfortunately.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org