• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Kim Very nice hamburger, but what are "tots"?

An eGullet discussion on tots: "The Tater Tot Topic - Creative Uses for The Little Buggers"

Pork roast...

Same pork roast only smothered in BBQ with mac and cheese

Shelby, I have pork envy/lust now. :wub: It looks great!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Robirdstx, I could get comfortable with that meal. :smile:

Comfort food of a sort here, too. Stir-fried pork tenderloin with green beans, garlic, and mild chiles, served with jasmine rice. We marinated the pork with fish sauce, Shaoxing wine, and Chinkiang vinegar, stir-fried until partly cooked, and then removed the pork to keep it tender. The green beans and chiles were cooked with oyster sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and water, and then the pork was tossed in the wok to finish cooking just before serving.

The same cook-rest-finish technique also works nicely with fish.

397164517.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

Slowly getting over a weird sore throat that struck towards the end of last week.

Light dinner:

049.JPG

Whole wheat spaghetti (from Eataly), with Jersey tomato sauce, anchovy and mint.

This was supposed to have been dinner for one night for last week's Foodblog. :angry:

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 anchovy fillet

1 garlic clove, thinly sliced

scant pinch of red pepper flakes

4 Jersey tomatoes, diced

a generous handful of mint, chopped

salt and black pepper, to taste

mixed pitted olives, optional

Warm olive oil. Add garlic and red pepper flakes to skillet, then anchovy. Let anchovy disintegrate, mashing it with a wooden spoon. Do not let garlic burn. Add tomatoes to the sauce. Add olives, if using. Cook until tomatoes reduce their volume by half. Taste for salt and pepper. Add mint to the sauce. Stir. Stir in drained cooked pasta, toss, then serve immediately. You could make this in half an hour, including prep.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Why wouldn't you leave the anchovy intact? Does it add to flavor to mash them? Looks lovely though.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."

-Winston Churchill

Why wouldn't you leave the anchovy intact? Does it add to flavor to mash them? Looks lovely though.

It adds a certain "oomph" to the sauce. These are oil-packed anchovies. They *will* disintegrate, so you might as well help things along.

Robirdstx, I could get comfortable with that meal. :smile:

Comfort food of a sort here, too. Stir-fried pork tenderloin with green beans, garlic, and mild chiles, served with jasmine rice.

:biggrin: Thank you, Bruce Your pork looked fabulous.

I pulled some pork tenderloin out this morning with the idea of doing a stir-fry, but instead, decided to make a recipe I've been meaning to try ever since I saw Eric Ripert make it on Avec Eric back in January.

BaconWrappedTenderloin-01.jpg

BaconWrappedTenderloin-02.jpg

BaconWrappedTenderloin-03.jpg

BaconWrappedTenderloin-04.jpg

Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin with Peas "a la Francaise" It was delicious!

ETA link to recipe: Here

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Tonight I made a stir-fry with green beans, shrimp, onions, garlic and whole, dry roasted almonds. I used my drunken noodles (pad kee mao) sauce recipe. Served with basamati rice.

Not sure what to call it? Drunken Beans?

shrimp-green-beans.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Shelby – your bread is gorgeous and those SANDWICHES!!! And your pictures are just getting better and better, girl!

Robirdstx – great looking tacos. I need to get back to making interesting tacos – I’ve slid back into the easy way – just ground beef with a little taco seasoning and they are so dull.

We had my in laws over for dinner a couple of nights ago to visit and see our pictures. Pre-dinner snacks:

med_gallery_3331_114_39475.jpg

Guacamole, chips and sunflower seed nibbles.

med_gallery_3331_114_150555.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_207541.jpg

We found these at World Market – they are called ‘Somersaults’. Similar to benne wafers, but with sunflower seeds instead of sesame.

Mr. Kim smoked a pork butt so we had BBQ and all the fixings. Pork:

med_gallery_3331_114_171364.jpg

(a little steamy) He got a pretty good smoke ring and great burnt ends:

med_gallery_3331_114_228485.jpg

Cheater baked beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_234017.jpg

Just fixed up Bush’s (hey, it was a work night!).

Macaroni salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_118759.jpg

Slaw:

med_gallery_3331_114_231603.jpg

Dessert was peaches, Greek yogurt, honey and amaretti cookies:

med_gallery_3331_114_266158.jpg

We’ve been getting some gorgeous peaches from the supermarket (99 cents a pound!!):

med_gallery_3331_114_39329.jpg

Now I'm hungry again!

Sheesh, me too, I need to quit looking at all of the dinner thread

Oh lord, that pork roast! Intense drooling! Shelby -- what are the herbs it looks like are crusted on there?

I did a mix of dijon mustard, thyme, crushed rosemary, ( I don't care for the whole ones)red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic and olive oil. I didn't use salt because the roast was sitting in salt water brine for a couple of days.

I massaged the roast with the above--all the while wishing it was me getting a massage..minus the mustard mix lol---and I let it rest for an hour or so at room temp.

Shelby, I'd just about kill for that Reuben. The pork roast looks primo, too!

HEY, you live in the town of the best Reuben ever :)

Kim Very nice hamburger, but what are "tots"?

An eGullet discussion on tots: "The Tater Tot Topic - Creative Uses for The Little Buggers"

Pork roast...

Same pork roast only smothered in BBQ with mac and cheese

Shelby, I have pork envy/lust now. :wub: It looks great!

:wub:

BaconWrappedTenderloin-01.jpg

Pork wrapped pork! Yay! I think what that meal needs is some pork on the side. ;)

It must be a theme for tonights dinner, over on my eG foodblog here I just posted the rest of this meal: Bacon, chorizo and pork discada:

DSC02211.JPG

Kim Shook - beautiful all American meal!

SobaAddict - that's a fabulous looking pasta dish.

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Seem to have a lot of beetroot left over so another simple salad with roasted cocina squash, goats cheese and home made guacamole on top.

001.JPG

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Great looking meals, everyone. And welcome back, Kim Shook..you've been missed!

A clean-out-the-fridge meal for me, to close out a week of not properly cooking very much..here's to a better culinary week next week!

Roasted carrot, cauliflower, sweet potato, beetroot, zucchini, garlic, onion and jerusalem artichokes - mixed with wakame seaweed, dressed in a white miso/sake/mirin/sesame oil combo, and served over soba noodles with sesame seeds sprinkled on top.

vegesoba.jpg

Cooking has been stifled by marking midterm exams, but reading this thread always gives me the kick-in-the-butt to start cooking again. Great meals all!

Robirdstx: That bacon wrapped pork tenderloin looks wonderful. I'll just eat the bacon!

I may be inspired, but still too lazy to do much. Tonight was lean ground turkey burgers seasoned with five peppercorn mix, cumin, hot paprika, tumeric, fresh ginger and garlic, yogurt, and grated cumin Gouda cheese. I also grilled some veg: mushroom caps, bell peppers, red onion, and zuchinni. Broccoli, cranberry and pumpkin seed slaw, watercress, and mango chutney fill the void left by being "bunless".

1turburg6276.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Soba- You've inspired us all with your gnocchi.. way to start a trend :laugh: ...glad to see your on the mend, though.

Shelby-Seriously, that pork looks amazing. And with macaroni and cheese to boot!

Kim- I have peach envy...ours are another month away, at least. :hmmm: My daughter keeps asking me when she gets to have "peaches with the fuzzy skin again" as opposed to the canned ones that are naked...

Robirdstx-Gotta love anything wrapped in bacon...any meal with multiple meats is perfect in my book!

Dejah-That looks so healthy and fresh, makes me eager to hit the farmer's market tomorrow morning.

Tonight was my French Fridays with Dorie cooking club night so I made these:

ribs.jpg

Cola and Jam Baby Back Ribs. On the side was corn cooked in brown butter and thyme, and a salad with a walnut oil vinagrette. The rib recipe was killer, went together super fast and I reduced down the cooking liquid to make a glaze that was so good my DH was eating it by the spoonful out of the pan. I think it'd be really good on chicken wings as well.

Edited to take out about 10 too many exclamation points...

Edited by Genkinaonna (log)

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Genkinaonna: more info' on the sauce? My f-s-i-l loves ribsand it's usually his job to mix up the rub and BBQ sauce. I'd like to try somethign different to surprise him. I could probably add heat to your cola and jam sauce?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I'd tell you about this fried chicken but with so much great food in this page alone I'm afraid I'll just look like a newb.

Check out my awesome new tablecloth instead!

IMG_3394_cr.jpg

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I'd tell you about this fried chicken but with so much great food in this page alone I'm afraid I'll just look like a newb.

Humility noted. Now please tell us about the chicken. You can't post that photo and then not talk about the chicken.

Thanks Genkinaonna.

+1 on the cola and jam sauce. I don't cook pork all that much but that might be a good reason for me to do so.

Sore throat is gone so I've been making up for lost time.

Late dinner tonight -- will involve asparagus, pea shoot flowers, nasturtium flowers, peas and young onions. Be back in a little bit. :)

003.JPG

Pasta primavera.

This version has asparagus, young onions and foraged oyster mushrooms.

Each vegetable was briefly sautéed in unsalted butter (the asparagus were first steamed, then shocked in ice water), then finished in vegetable stock with, you guessed it, more butter. Salt and pepper to taste. Garnished with lemon thyme, nasturtium flowers, parsley and cheese.