• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

A few from the other night.

Potato puree, edible soil, heirloom carrots, beets and watermelon radish.

6305207678_10f8e604f0_b.jpg

Butter poached rock shrimp, avocado, tomato gelee, meyer lemon and arugula.

6304678891_0072737889_b.jpg

Pumpkin pasta

6304680203_55899d03c0_b.jpg

12 hour pork belly, pomegranate-sherry glaze and parsnip.

6305205832_526be05abd_b.jpg

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

It was a national holiday here. Cornish pasties, using yesterday's beef stock:

DSCF0958.jpg

DSCF0960.jpg

DSCF0962.jpg

- beef chuck, spuds, onion, swede, salt, pepper, some of the beef dripping from the stock as well as some of the stock itself. 50/50 butter & dripping for the shortcrust.

I used 600g of beef (a pound and an ounce or two) and came out with eight of them, each about 8" on the long edge: baked for an hour, 190C raised to 210C for the last twenty minutes (so 200C next time).

I love Cornish pasties and those look really good Blether.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Beautiful effort Scottyboy! I had a look at your blog ... no wonder your food looks so good, you are a chef! Puts us home cooks to shame :P

Blether I love the crumbly pastry on your Cornish pasty. It looks perfect. Mind sharing the recipe?

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

ScottyBoy-

Of course the vegetables are lovely. Was there pumpkin in the pasta or just as a light sauce? How was the avocado done? The tomato gellee is like stained glass- stellar visual. Ok, ok - last question - the rock shrimp - are these the ones that are so so hard to peel? Were they sourced peeled and frozen raw? I love the firm more "lobstery" texture and flavor.

Thanks, Nick, Dejah & Keith.

The pastry worked out pretty much like the top crust on my mince pie here, though the ingredients and equipment were partly different.

I had 600g meat, so made pastry with 600g of flour. In keeping with the pasty tradition, a heavier flour using 5 parts 11% gluten bread flour and 1 part cake flour, by weight.

- set a plastic bag, edges turned back, in the mixing bowl on the digital scale and zero the scale

- weigh the flour into the bag, remove bagged flour to fridge till cold (a couple of hours) (no room for that bowl in the fridge yesterday)

- return cold flour to (not chilled :sad: ) bowl, add 2tsp salt, mix

- now add fats. Zero the scale and add soft beef fat skimmed from chilled beef stock, about 75g. Toss to coat with flour. Add harder fat collected from beef bone roasting to total 150g, toss again.

- add 150g butter in 1-2tsp pieces cut with a knife from the chilled block held over the bowl, toss again.

- cut fats in, not with crossed knives this time but with the new pastry knife - (looks like this one, about JPY800 / 10 bucks special order at Tokyu Hands), till no fat pieces bigger than a pea. That knife really cuts down on the work.

- mix ice cubes and tap water in a bowl, add ice water to dough, sprinkling, a few tbsp at a time, then a tbsp at a time, forking in at each turn till the dough will come together into one piece with light hands (don't squeeze it).

- chill (at least an hour for a lump this size) in the same plastic bag

- cut into equal-size pieces, roll each & form

- use plenty of flour for rolling out. I think the softer beef fat is what was gumming up the rolling pin and board this time, so that it turned into plenty flour, plus. I just scraped the board and pin down with the palette knife in between.

- beaten egg to seal and coat

Otherwise, the base recipe I picked up is this one, but making 8 pieces rather than the 16 it would suggest, and baking longer and lower: (1) chuck, not rump and (2) crimped pastry edges in a 220C oven for 45 minutes ? I don't think so, and (3) the size difference, of course. Also using a few more tablespoons of the soft beef fat and some of the beef stock, to moisten and enrich the filling.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Well thanks all!

I figured this would be the spot to add the dishes I do for my professional dinners as well as what I'm cooking for myself...

I would love to get my hands on one of those pasties right now...eating my 3rd turkey sandwich of the day.

My eGullet Foodblog

Ecuador Trip 2011 159.JPG

Little bivalves in Quito Ecuador - can't take credit for them but they were so good.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

You're an artist, ScottyBoy. This isn't just the booze talking. I swear. The plate is your canvas. Those dishes are of the standard I've seen presented in some of Australia's very best restaurants. They're of the standard I've seen in some of the most picturesque cookbooks--Keller, Bras--in my collection. Would love to sit down for one of those meals.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Thanks Blether for the recipe :) I will give this a go soon!

Anyway, tonight I made a confit ocean trout as per Tetsuya Wakuda, but using techniques I learnt from Modernist Cuisine. The confit was made in a sous-vide bath at 50C, and cooked for 30 minutes until a probe thermometer registered 45C in the thickest part of the trout.

original.jpg

The trout in the SV controlled EVOO confit bath.

original.jpg

One of the trout fell on the floor as I was transferring it from the bath ... d'oh! But you can see how moist and voluptuous it is!

original.jpg

original.jpg

Here it is plated with a home-made cucumber and shallot pickle, parsley oil, and tobiko. The coating on the trout is a 1:1 mixture of wakame and nori, chopped up in a food processor. The garnish is fried trout skin.

This would have been a technically difficult dish if I tried to execute it as recommended by Tetsuya Wakuda. But with the magic of my SV controller, it was brainless and easy! The dish was utterly delicious and so refined - my wife was impressed. That's all that matters.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Dejah – I love beef tendons. Your ground turkey dish sounds very delicious, and healthy too.

Blether – Wow! Amazing Cornish pasties.

Rico – I like the way you serve lobster risotto, simple but graceful.

Kayb – Every thing is grilled to perfection on that burger plate.

Scottyboy – Overwhelmingly elegant plate design. Very much recalls the art of Ikebana.

Jmahl – Wonderful clams.

Keith_W – great plating for the salmon dish

Mjx - lovely braised venison.

-------------------------------------------------------------- - -

The freak snow storm here in NY knocked down trees, power has been out here for many days.

Halloween was basically cancelled. No street lights. No trick or treaters,

Still trying to keep up with the Halloween spirit, t’is the season for strange foods:

Indian bitter melon, sautéed in tomato sauce

Octopus in pepper bacon sauce with pickled pacaya encurtida.

Roasted pepper with tilapia.

Home made bread

dcarch

bitter2.jpg

bitter3.jpg

octopusa.jpg

octopusSV2.jpg

octopusSV3.jpg

halloweentilapia2.jpg

breadcoffin.jpg

Ecuador Trip 2011 159.JPG

Little bivalves in Quito Ecuador - can't take credit for them but they were so good.

OMG, Jmahl! Conchas! Those are super tasty, and as far as I've been able glean they're Mangrove Oysters.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Still trying to keep up with the Halloween spirit, t’is the season for strange foods:

Can I buy just 10% of your amazing imagination and plating ability? FABULOUS.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

HAHA! Having fun over there dcarch?

ScottyBoy-

Of course the vegetables are lovely. Was there pumpkin in the pasta or just as a light sauce? How was the avocado done? The tomato gellee is like stained glass- stellar visual. Ok, ok - last question - the rock shrimp - are these the ones that are so so hard to peel? Were they sourced peeled and frozen raw? I love the firm more "lobstery" texture and flavor.

Dehydrated pumpkin was ground up and added to the noodles. Then a reduced chicken stock, pureed pumpkin and cream for the sauce.

Avocado in the blender with just water and salt. A pinch of citric acid to keep it green.

The client asked for rock shrimp so I went out of my "hyper local" thing and bought from my purveyor frozen/peeled. I really love the lobster texture too. Also a great price point from what I would spend on lobster for 12... SV at 115 for 30 minutes in butter, they are sooo good.

My eGullet Foodblog