• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Made a variation on this kale, sausage and potato soup from Serious Eats. I added some sliced fennel to the onions, as well as some gochugaru, and used sliced fingerlings. Really, really good!

IMG_5696.JPGM

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Snow was predicated for last night and today. None last night, but today's just beginning. In preparation, I made Hot'n'Sour soup last night for supper.

Good stuff that. I have all the ingredients set to go for a huge batch too but lack the tofu which we'll pick up in the city tomorrow.

Your soup is much paler than our recipe. I'd be interested in your recipe.

Manitoba. Hmmm....No snow here in our corner of Ontario. Please. Please. Please. :raz:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne: I just used chicken stock, water, vinegar, and Koon Yick Wah Kee chili sauce. If I added more chili sauce or had char siu to add, it might be a little redder.

Many recipes call for black or white pepper instead of the chili sauce, but I have always used this. I suppose pepper would be cheaper, but the flavour is different. I trained my former customners to this taste, and 10 years later, they still complain they can't get Hot'n'Sour soup like mine. :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I trained my former customers to this taste, and 10 years later, they still complain they can't get Hot'n'Sour soup like mine.

Yeah, I'm actually going to start complaining that I can't find any Hot'n'Sour soup like yours, too. That looks fantastic! Warmed me up just looking at it ...

Quinoa and chicken soup

Quinoa Soup 001.JPG

Heathbar ice cream with poached cherries and armagnac

Quinoa Soup 004.JPG

Summer is back in Del Rio Texas

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Inspired by some of the great food I've seen in this thread and somewhere between lunch and dinner I made a couple of these as a planned snack. I've had the idea for a while and wanted to give it a go.

IMG_3329%252520edit.jpg

The center is a 'nest' of dehydrated enoki and rousong with a 62C quail egg, crispy duck tongue and truffle salt. Surrounding the nest is charred bunapi and marinated shimeji mushrooms along with some shiitake puree.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

I want ScottyBoy and dcarch to meet in the middle of the country to cook dinner together. I'll offer my house as the spot!

Agree on that. I imagine what will be the table look like when they're done cooking. :) I bet it will be awesome!

Who do I make my booking with?!!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Inspired by some of the great food I've seen in this thread and somewhere between lunch and dinner I made a couple of these as a planned snack. I've had the idea for a while and wanted to give it a go.

IMG_3329%252520edit.jpg

The center is a 'nest' of dehydrated enoki and rousong with a 62C quail egg, crispy duck tongue and truffle salt. Surrounding the nest is charred bunapi and marinated shimeji mushrooms along with some shiitake puree.

That is a work of art!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

IMG_3329%252520edit.jpg

Awesome.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Stir-fried curry beef with green beans. Red curry paste, garlic, red bell peppers, Anaheim and serrano chiles, white pepper, brown sugar, and fish sauce. Served with jasmine rice, eternal cucumbers, and iceberg lettuce to wrap everything into spicy, crunchy morsels.

I am learning a new computer, so this is mainly an excuse to test the new software. :rolleyes:

gallery_42956_2536_50364.jpg

Some awesome chicken soup made from this:

IMG_5718.JPG

broth ladled out over a sweated mirepoix with leeks added, some chopped turnips and kabocha thrown in, then some noodles and celery leaves. Delicious!

IMG_5721.JPG