• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Last night I had a dinner party! Here were the courses:

original.jpg

I revisited the mushroom omelette recipe from Modernist Cuisine.

original.jpg

... then served a duck l'orange, but with blood orange. The duck leg was cooked sous-vide as per MC. The potato is Thomas Keller's potato pave from Ad Hoc at Home.

dcarch note the pale green stems on the carrots - in contrast to the vivid green of yours! I tried microwaving a carrot but I wasn't sure how I would go with a big batch of carrots so I didn't risk it. I cooked the carrots sous-vide with butter.

original.jpg

... dessert was a simple cream caramel.

Not shown were pictures of the wine consumed nor the inebriated guests who could barely walk to their taxi.

Tonight, I had a couple of friends over. I was still feeling hung over from last night's dinner so the last thing I wanted was anything rich. What better food to make than "steamboat" - also known as Chinese hot pot. An aromatic broth is made from pork bones, chinese cabbage, ginger, and various dried herbs. Raw food is dipped into the boiling broth to cook. The broth gets richer as the evening progresses.

This is normally a simple dinner, but I could not resist the urge to make it look pretty!

original.jpg

Chicken, wontons, tofu, stuffed tofu, bitter gourd, okra, and shaved beef. Yes, that is raw chicken and raw beef. Don't worry it's perfectly safe - everything will be boiled.

original.jpg

Veggies were chrysanthemum leaves, choy sum, and Chinese cabbage.

original.jpg

Dried tofu, fried tofu, and more wontons.

original.jpg

Noodles and eggs.

Edited by Keith_W (log)
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

I was still feeling hung over from last night's dinner so the last thing I wanted was anything rich.

You must be kidding! I couldn't make anything look that good no matter how sober and healthy I might be. Marvellous. Thanks for sharing as it made my day. :smile:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Keith_W: Beautiful presentation on the hotpot! I am sure the results were delicious too.

MJX:

This all looks fantastic, but the fried fish... would you mind sharing the recipe? I'm a bit of a fried fish junkie, to tell the truth.

I started with Tyler Florence's recipe for English-style Fish and Chips but found it really unsatisfactory. It was too thick for the proportions of 2-cups flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 egg, and 12-ox can of soda water. Even when I added more soda water, it did not give me the texture and thin crust that I associate with my memory of English batter. :sad: It looked great, but did not retain the crispiness by the time we ate - right after I took the picture.

Next time, I will go back to my tried-and-true batter mix from my restaurant days: nearly equal parts flour and cornstarch, baking powder, vinegar, a little splash of oil, salt, and water to mix into a batter.

It's hard for me to give exact measurements as we used to mix up the flour-cornstarch in big barrels - 7 scoops flour to 6 scoops cornstarch. The scoops were those big ones used in bulk sales.

Then when we do a batch of batter, we add BP, vinegar, oil and water accordingly. The batter was light, crispy, even after it was put into the buffet.

I'll have to try my old recipe and see what proportions work the best...

I would appreciate any recipes anyone here would share!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Low-light pic of eggs poached in a saucy saute of onion, tomato, grated summer squash and basil. Really good and really easy -- if only I had discovered this before the tail end of tomato/squash season...

eggs+skillet.jpg

Deensiebat, there is a Parsi recipe which is similar, except it has some more spice and the summer squash is replaced with fried potato sticks. Try it.

That looks lovely RRO. Can you describe the wasabi leaf taste? If it's anything like I imagine, I suspect they would be great for rolling ingredients in like san choy bow.

The wasabi leaves were peppery, a little tangy. More like a very piquant rocket-y taste than wasabi, but I don't have a great sense of taste since I have no sense of smell - so someone with a more refined palate might pick up more of the wasabi.

And guess where I got them?! Coles, of all places! Will PM you a pic of the package.

Attn rarerollingobject:

Im very keen on learning how to make that KFC, if you are willing to share!

much thanks!

For the sauce, I followed this recipe. For the wings themselves, I just tossed in flour, laid on a foil-lined tray (sprayed with cooking oil to avoid stickage) and put in the fridge to firm up while the oven pre-heated, and then baked for 40 mins at about 200C/400F, turning the wings over half way through, and turning the the tray 180 degrees in the oven also.

Keith - that is a BEAUTIFUL meal. I love the pic of the hotpot ingredients.

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

last night was the beef daube i had made on friday and "aged". served with some egg noodles. the last will go to work with johnnybird tomorrow with a whole grain roll.

tonight i roasted white sweet, yellow sweet, fingerling potatoes and some butternut squash with some sea salt, thyme and olive oil. stuffed a pheasant with sage and apples then draped the breast with bacon and roasted. steamed some broccoli and made a warm broccoli salad with some shallot and a vinaigrette.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Made 2 lasagna(s) in one 9 x 13 pan: Looney Spoons Vegetarian, and added ground beef on the other half for hubby. Sides were blanched green beans with sesame seed oil and crushed chili flakes, a couple leaves of Romaine lettuce with Kraft mango-chipotle dressing and toasted pecans.

3lasagne9966.jpg

4lasagne9973.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

A few new ones for a dinner last night,

My little root veggie salad and a 12 hour kobe sirloin, potatoes, arugula and buerre rouge. Sous vide never fails to impress, you could cut the rare steak with a fork...

6254377484_eb03668f7f_z.jpg

6253293026_f171e0f788_z.jpg

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Beautiful looking food there scottyboy ... what filter are you using on your camera? Looks like some kind of soft focus plugin for an iPhone?

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

This is a special salmon dish that is the essence of Fall. It's a dish I've made for close to twenty years and comes from the great American Chef Larry Forgione.

Cedar-Plank Roast Salmon with Greens and Toasted Pumpkin Seed Vinaigrette-

003.JPG

I failed to take a usable picture but tonight we had sous vide sirloin with baked potato and Tuscan kale from our CSA. I sautéed the kale in a little olive oil then simmered in a broth of chicken stock, brown sugar and a splash of balsamic vinegar.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Both the banh mi and the burger look amazing! That has got me thinking I should find out where the good Vietnamese restaurants near me are, I've got Malay, Thai and Indian galore and am currently having lunch in the middle eastern quarter but Vietnamese mmmmmmmmm!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Hosted the King of Beans for dinner last night.

Started off with a "Farmer's Market" Salpicon...

photo%252520%25252880%252529.JPG

To the traditional base of lettuce, citrus macerated red onion & herbs (Hoja Santa, Pepper Mint & Parsley on this occasion), I added Parsnip & Watermelon Radish "croutons" aka diced vegetables roasted way longer than I intended... and instead of leftover shredded meats we have pan fried muscovy duck breast. The dressing is a version of Salsa Endiablada (a standard in Mexico City taquerias that specialize in Lechon & Beef Head Barbacoa tacos)... it is made by roasting Arbol chiles & garlic clovers in plenty of oil over very low heat then pureeing with some roasted tomatillos, salt (and sometimes herbs)... the results are a fully emulsified, smooth salsa that is also used to dress raw vegetables.

Second course was a poached Duck Egg served in Rancho Gordo's midnight black bean caldillo (itself scented with onion, garlic & avocado leaves)

photo%252520%25252882%252529.JPG

The duck eggs were accompanied by handmade Sopes of slow cooked Watermelon Radish Quelites (Greens), Queso Fresco & dab of the Salsa Endiablada

photo%252520%25252881%252529.JPG

Dessert not pictured was fresh blackberries and "Bean Nog".... Dulce de Frijol based on a university of Michoacan recipe... a traditional pudding made from an heirloom bean... I used Rancho Gordo Bolita beans (as that they seem similar based on the description on the U-MICH website).. but my version ended up being more of a Nog than a Pudding... it was truly delicious & rich.. although the bean flavor was not obvious.

There are thousands of versions of "Dulce de...." made from almost anything you can think of Pineapple, Peanuts, Pumpkin, Cactus Pears, Nopal Paddles, Tomato, Tomatillo... it is an infinite list... but basically you cook something until its soft, you liquify it with some milk then strain it through cloth.. merge it with a spiced heavy syrup (Piloncillo + Cinnamon as a basic example)... bring it to a gentle boil until it reduces in half... add egg yolks & cook long enough that it will set.

The bulk of produce was from farm's within a mile of our home, herbs from our garden, the Duck Breast (Salmon Creek Farm), Duck Eggs (Triple T) & Cow Milk from within 25 miles. The Queso Fresco was from Dacheva (a cheesemaker from the Highlands of Jalisco now making a wide range of Mexican & European cheeses in Petaluma using local, organic milk... including raw milk aged Chihuahua cheeses)

Edited by EatNopales (log)