• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Dinner tonight was my favorite treat: Dessert as Dinner. And by the time I remembered my plan to take a photo of the dinner...it was completely gone.

Stumbled today across a Mark Bittman NYT recipe and video for Free Form Apple Tart and seeing as we still have three containers full of falls from our trees waiting to be juiced, I took some, in this case, Northern Spies, and made the pie, which Bittman also called a pizza because it took that shape.

He suggested ice cream, whipped cream or creme fraiche...we used 3 year old white cheddar.

Amazing. :wub: :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Just totally amazing posts, absurdly amazing! Outrageously amazing!

rarerollingobject - Korean Fried Chicken wings, wings of glory!

David Ross – wonderful plating, the cedar-plank roast salmon.

Scottyboy – You have redefined what a burger ought to be with that kobe sirloin burger. The sous vide kobe sirloin is very elegant plated.

EatNopales – Very nice duck eggs with watermelon radish quelites.

djyee100 - I have never made pork that way with lemon, but that look so nice that I will have to give it a try.

Dejah – I wish you had taken a picture of the wind-dried Chinese meats (duck, sausage, bacon) and salty fish sandpot rice. It sounded so wonderful.

ChrisTaylor - Steak, roast potatoes, roast mushrooms, roast tomatoes, everything looks perfectly done.

Panaderia Canadiense – I always like your recipes. The Encocado de Corvina looks very sophicticated. Very interesting Cachos.

Xilimmns – What a great salmon dish to introduce yourself here. Welcome.

Dakki – Love your rustic style. Nice plating of Tacos de Tripa.

gfweb – Delicious filet cooked for one. You treated yourself well.

Lemon flavored cauliflower and bell pepper.

Sous vide ribeye steak

Tomato from the garden with avocado salad.

dcarch

califlower.jpg

califlower2.jpg

califlower4.jpg

tomatoavocado.jpg

tomatoavocado2.jpg

ribeyesv.jpg

ribeyesv4.jpg

we appear to be up to almost 10" of snow here in nw nj.

tried to make some chocolate chip cookies. nice and gooey with some crisp edges but need to work on them.

made a set of Portugese sweet bread to use for sandwich bread this next week.

dinner is awaiting johnnybird waking up from a bit of a nap. long cooked green beans in olive oil and veg stock. drained then doused with my concentrated vinaigrette. mashed potatoes. swiss steak/french onion soup from RR. knocked it down a bit for us and used ground bison. by reducing the stock to make the soup you get a nice, dense gravy to go over those potatoes.

shoveling out tomorrow and leftovers!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I hate cauliflower but I want that.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Have been super busy at work and on the road some, so not a lot of cooking of late. Here are a couple of recent dinners:

004.JPG

A grilled grass-fed beef burger, sans bun, topped with caramelized onions and blue cheese; grilled squash, and fresh pinto beans stewed with tomatos.

DSC_0031.JPG

Butternut squash soup with ricotta gnocchi "dumplings."

Tonight will be an eye of round roast, roasted zucchini, and mac and cheese for the teenager.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

No pictures, but man I made a knockout last night, a hatch pepper and pork stew, sort of a chile verde:

Seared about a pound of cubed pork butt (on sale at Whole Foods, almost 3 lbs for $10), then sweated some onion and garlic, deglazed with beer and chicken stock, then added about 9 or 10 Hatch chiles that I had roasted and frozen a month or two ago, and subsequently skinned and chopped into a mash. Threw in a splash of vinegar, and let it braise in the oven at about 275º for 2-3 hours (can't remember). Served with sliced radish, diced onion and coriander (cilantro), some very ripe avocado, and corn tortillas. The two bits of bone that were in the pork came out spectacularly: the tendon, cartilage, or whatever was attached to the bone softened beautifully, in a way I've only seen in Chinese or Vietnamese dishes with beef tendon.

Delicious! I'll definitely make this again as the weather gets colder, and I'll be sure to put pics up then.

dcarch - others have said it better than I can, but wow. Again.

Xilimmns - just a couple of posts into this thread and I'm already getting excited when I see you've posted something! That shrimp dish looks wonderful.

Dakki - I've got a place I love to go to for tripe and tongue tacos here, but I'd substitute yours in a heartbeat. That's one enticing photo.

Anyway, made some lobster risotto as Kenji Lopex-Alt outlined the technique. As far as texture, his technique worked very well to my tastes. As for the taste of my ad-libbed ingredients ... I'll be modifying the recipe. The flavor just never came through. At all.

lobsterrisotto.JPG

No pictures, but man I made a knockout last night, a hatch pepper and pork stew, sort of a chile verde:

Delicious! I'll definitely make this again as the weather gets colder, and I'll be sure to put pics up then.

Oh my! Also pork butt for $10 for 3 pounds? Not in my neck of the woods.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Xilimmns -- belatedly, welcome! Lovely dinners. Entranced with the thought of shrimp, bacon, blue cheese.

dcarch, I want that cauliflower.

Dakki, I would want those tacos except for, well, tripe. Don't do tripe.

Dinner tonight was liquid. It wasn't a very productive day. Damn the business world. I think I'm going to go occupy something.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Amazing food, everyone! And dcarch...that plating and that cauliflower is gorgeous. :smile:

Hassouni: Did you say Chinese style beef tendons? Here ya go...

tendons0012.jpg

I had these with shrimp roe noddles, Chinese sausage and Romaine lettuce. These tendons were ones I bought in Vancouver, slightly different than what I make. These were from a dim sum restaurant - vinegary and very tender but still with a bit of chew. When I braise tendons, it's more likely to be with star anise, ginger, onion, and soy sauce.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It's been a lazy public holiday. I sunk to the depths of buying ready-made spinach and ricotta agnolotti. Dodgy pasta and tasteless filling--the only thing letting you know that there was some kind of creamy cheese in that was that almost bile-like taste that sits in your mouth after you eat cheap feta or ricotta pastries. I'd have been better off just giving in entirely and calling up the pizza shop. Low, I know.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Blether: The shrimp roe noodles are dried noodles with shrimp roe in them. I just buy them at the store - a little more flavourful than plain egg noodles. Wish I could have had a more exotic answer. :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It was a national holiday here. Cornish pasties, using yesterday's beef stock:

DSCF0958.jpg

DSCF0960.jpg

DSCF0962.jpg

- beef chuck, spuds, onion, swede, salt, pepper, some of the beef dripping from the stock as well as some of the stock itself. 50/50 butter & dripping for the shortcrust.

I used 600g of beef (a pound and an ounce or two) and came out with eight of them, each about 8" on the long edge: baked for an hour, 190C raised to 210C for the last twenty minutes (so 200C next time).

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I would definitely take those pasties for lunch anyday, Blether!

However, I am trying to eat less carbs and fat... :sad: so last night, I made shepherd's pie with a twist:

3shepherd0185.jpg

ground turkey, green beans, carrots, poultry seasoning, in a light gravy (fat and sodium free chicken stock with 1 tbsp cornstarch). Topping was steamed mashed caulitflower drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with paprika. The whole dish was baked in the oven for 30 minutes at 350, then broiled for 5 minutes or so for that "crust". Tasted great...even the fake mashed potatoes. :smile:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com