• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

Lisa - that looks awesome!  One question, does it freeze well, using the fresh pasta?  I haven't made lasagna in ages - live alone so I'll end up with ton's of leftovers - but I'd love to make one and put some aside.

Thank you, Liz :) I freeze a lot of homemade pastas (tortellini, fettucine, et al), but this is before they've been cooked. I've frozen fully cooked lasagnas before, with great success, but not with homemade, cooked lasagna sheets. Maybe someone here has and can give us their opinion/experience with it?

On another note, what a beautiful chicken mole photo, above.

I've made a lasagna with homemade pasta before and frozen the cooked leftovers without issue.

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Lisa - that looks awesome!  One question, does it freeze well, using the fresh pasta?  I haven't made lasagna in ages - live alone so I'll end up with ton's of leftovers - but I'd love to make one and put some aside.

Thank you, Liz :) I freeze a lot of homemade pastas (tortellini, fettucine, et al), but this is before they've been cooked. I've frozen fully cooked lasagnas before, with great success, but not with homemade, cooked lasagna sheets. Maybe someone here has and can give us their opinion/experience with it?

On another note, what a beautiful chicken mole photo, above.

I've made a lasagna with homemade pasta before and frozen the cooked leftovers without issue.

Well, Liz, there's our answer. Thank you doctortim :)

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

I always make an extra lasagna (with homemade lasagna sheets, which I do not parboil; I cover each layer with bechamel which results in a texture I prefer to the parboiling method). I freeze the extra lasagna uncooked, and when I am ready to use it I put it into the fridge the night before I want to cook it. It turns out great.

gallery_41870_2503_3785.jpg

menuinprogress, beautiful mole! How did you like it and what recipe did you use?

We were very happy with the taste - the flavors came together really well. The recipe is from a cooking class we did in Oaxaca with Susana Trilling. She has a cookbook that it might be in, though.

We still have some mole paste that we brought back from Oaxaca, so we're going to do a taste-off between that and our from-scratch version.

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

down the shore at our condo unit we got new grills this year.

gallery_4006_157_295912.jpg

which produced the following meals

gallery_4006_157_763376.jpg

gallery_4006_157_41434.jpg

gallery_4006_157_245971.jpg

blue burger with onions, potato salad and a green salad, grilled brats with mash, applesauce and a tomato and avacado salad.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

It's nice to be back! I've been gorging myself for the past week at "Vegas Uncork'd" sponsored by Bon Appetit Magazine. Needless to say, after six days of drinking and eating my way through some of the finest restaurants in Las Vegas, it took me nearly another week to recover and get back to cooking at home. (I'll be posting my experiences in Las Vegas this coming week and I'll give you notice once I'm finished).

Last night I combined two salad dressings I had in the fridge-green goddess and bleu cheese. I served the dressing over a wedge of crisp, chilled iceberg lettuce and garnished it with bacon and green onion. I was too tired to cut my bread into croutons-so I came up with a new invention-the "torn crouton." Yep, just tear the bread into pieces and off you go.

gallery_41580_4407_176908.jpg

For the main I started with a recipe from Susan Spicer's Crescent City Cooking Cookook. Her recipe is for "Tasso Cream," but I couldn't find any tasso in town, so I substituted Andouille. I added some mustard and Worcestershire to the sauce for extra tang, and then garnished the sauce with Crawfish at the last minute.

Here's the result, "Salmon with Andouille-Crawfish Cream Sauce, Rice, Patty Pan Squash."

gallery_41580_4407_54915.jpg

Asparagus soup with Morels and Joselito Reserve:

gallery_895_976_11333.jpg

gallery_895_976_4326.jpg

Saddlle of Pyrennean milk-fed lamb, Courgette flowers stuffed with goats curd, PIquilo pepper stuffed with crushed jersey royals and braised lamb neck with oregano.

gallery_895_976_17144.jpg

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

We made Richard and Dale's "green perplexed tofu" last night from Top Chef. It was pretty good, but not something I would make often. The beef fat was delicious on the tofu.

gallery_1890_1967_89574.jpg

Linguine primavera -- in this case, asparagus and ramps sauteed in unsalted butter and garnished with shaved Parmesan and chive blossoms

This may be the last weekend that ramps are available. I intend to make the most of it. :raz:

Dinner was pork and sauerkraut which cooked in my crockpot during a rainy afternoon. It tasted great, but wasn't photo-worthy. Dessert was balsamic strawberry and rhubarb cobbler.

gallery_24065_1826_5798.jpg

It's too hot to cook (it's been hovering around 102°F since Friday and more of the same is expected today).

I bought a rotisserie chicken and removed the meat from the bone. I diced some of it up and tossed it into a mixed green salad with a variety of diced crudite mixed in. Dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Cool and satisfying.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

NIce soup matthew.

Here is some braised ribs with asparragus, sweet potato, and potato on a bed of rice.

I found the pic interesting from the standpoint of how the flash came out. The potatos look funny. Remind me of the stars in the sky. (probably me seeing things again)

gallery_56834_5307_340837.jpg

Home-ground blue cheese burger on homemade bun

gallery_39170_2381_6947.jpg

Leftover roast pork shoulder ragu w/penne

gallery_39170_2381_68371.jpg

coffee marinated grilled pork loin w/pineapple catsup (thanks to Christopher Schlesinger and John Willoughby)

gallery_39170_2381_55809.jpg