• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2008

Shelby

No green from me. Went over to aunt's place for bbq lunch yesterday, everyone brought over so much food that we were forced to stay back for dinner and had some of the bbq meats with vermicelli noodles. Let's see what we ate: Chinese five spice chicken, Thai noodle salad, Vietnamese meatballs (nem nuong), good ol' Aussie sausages, and alot of other bits of meats. Good day!

gallery_56306_5160_45741.jpg

I LIKE HOW THIS LOOKS Ce'nedra, YUMMY!

Hi! This is my first time on the forums; I'm so excited!

All these pictures are making me so hungry!

My boyfriend made dinner last night, ribs & fries - yum yum :)

Unfortunately, I didn't get to take any pictures because I was too busy eating.

There is no love sincerer than the love of food. - George Bernard Shaw

star shaped cookies - my blog

Hi! This is my first time on the forums; I'm so excited!

All these pictures are making me so hungry!

My boyfriend made dinner last night, ribs & fries - yum yum :)

Unfortunately, I didn't get to take any pictures because I was too busy eating.

Hi, crustybread!!! Welcome!

we had our easter dinner saturday up in poughkeepsie(johnnybird's hometown).

my 40 year old sister in law got instruction in making a basic mac and cheese. i think she did pretty well for her first time.

gallery_403_5831_795248.jpg

the ham with attendant pineapple rings and too sweet syrupy sauce. but my mother in law has aways made the sauce - i did persuade her to NOT put it on until the last 15 minutes or so and to serve the extra on the side.

gallery_403_5831_595895.jpg

finally the accompanyments: the ever faithul green beans with garlic and honey dill carrots

gallery_403_5831_754158.jpg

the next thing we are going to work on is how to time out a meal.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

suzilightning, sweet potato with lime butter sounds intriguing – how did johnnybird like it?

[

bruce- john liked it and it seemed to work really well with the sweet potatoes and the fish. it was a compound butter i made using zest and juice. i'm thinking it should go well on salmon and broccoli.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thanks HeidiH and intraining!!!

The bun is a pork bun. It was steamed in the container you see way in the back of the pic. Super easy just steam for 15 min and comes out really good.

On to this weekend's disaster. I normally dont have many disaster dishes and this is one of them. To the point where I took like 2 or 3 bites and threw it all away, along with the rest that wasnt cooked for that meal.

So i went to my italian friend's restaurant and he said he has these really good Artichoke stuffed ravioli made with spinach. So I was like wow, ill give them a shot. They certainly looked nice. Well they were not nice, I didnt like the taste at all. I topped it with vodka sauce and parmegiano.

The next part was the second attempt at the smelt. My first attempt came out great (Razor Clams/EVOO/Butter/Garlic mix). I went wrong in this dish because of shear stupidity. Instead of frying the smelt which was my original idea, I decided to bake it. MISTAKE. I ended up overcooking the fish and giving it this dry salty nasty taste. I think it would have been ok with a quick fry and then topped with marinara and Goat cheese and mozzarella with a quick melt in the over. The idea seemed interesting but ohh my god. this one was one bite and done.

I ended up just eating the salad and throwing everything away. I call this a diet dish becuase I only ate that salad for dinner. Good for the diet.

Here are the pics, dont be fooloed by the nice colors. Tasted like crap!

gallery_56834_5307_152366.jpg

gallery_56834_5307_698991.jpg

This one is before going in the oven.

gallery_56834_5307_665713.jpg

For dinner last night, my boyfriend popped a Stouffer's lasagna in the oven and I made rosemary mashed potatoes to go with. The lasagna was pretty tasty considering it had previously been frozen, though it took like 2 hours and 30 minutes to make; we were both dying of hunger by the time it was finally ready. My boyfriend also cut up an avocado for a small snack and ate it with soy sauce and wasabi. I tried some, and it was pretty good, but I don't like avocado all that much because of its taste. :raz:

I have pictures this time! Yay :biggrin:

Dinner in a box. Yum...

gallery_59081_5843_885089.jpg

Rosemary mashed potatoes. They tasted a lot better than they look.

gallery_59081_5843_1123185.jpg

Avocados, mmm.

gallery_59081_5843_1236057.jpg

Avocado in soy sauce & wasabi

gallery_59081_5843_748674.jpg

Lasagna.

gallery_59081_5843_273869.jpg

Close up. Yum yum.

gallery_59081_5843_1246215.jpg

Wow! Lasagna AND mashed potatoes at the same meal - a girl after my carb-loving heart!!

Haha! The thought crossed my mind last night that there might be too many carbs, but who cares! If I had to think about it all the time, I'd lose the pleasure of eating delicious food. And as long as it's in moderation, I think it's all right :)

Chris - beautiful pasta and peas. I just wanna reach into my computer screen and twirl a fork around those lustrous noodles.

For dinner tonight, I decided to make Pork Pot Pie...

gallery_48583_5441_165152.jpg

My friend always said, the way to a man's heart is through PORK. :wub:

gallery_48583_5441_380720.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Lovely porky pie especially since you have told us you don't have a standard oven. I like the heart pastry cut-out- tell me- is the curly one supposed to be a pig-tail?

Here is how DH's dinner looks like...

Chicken-Dinner-1.jpg

with cranberry/walnut mix up front, zucchini with cherry tomatoes and baby carrots. I only had the chicken slices and the cranberry mix in mine. I served both with crescent butter rolls.

Life is short: Break the rules...Forgive quickly...Kiss slowly...Love truly...Laugh uncontrollably...And never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

Lovely porky pie especially since you have told us you don't have a standard oven. I like the heart pastry cut-out- tell me- is the curly one supposed to be a pig-tail?

Heidi, it was suppose to be a rose. :laugh: I had a tiny scrap of dough that I rolled out and fashioned it into a rose. I suppose it could be a cute piggy tail given the nature of whats inside the pie.

I love my tiny convection oven, it is so portable. Of course, my only complaint is it is tiny and I can't bake trays of food/cookies like my mom did in her regular oven.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I've been a bit lax with posting--not that anyone has been clamoring for it--but I've finished all the tongue recipes in the cookbook.

Boiled Ox Tongue with Horseradish and Green Sauce

gallery_46836_5848_102738.jpg

Cold Tongue Sandwich with Tomato and English Mustard

gallery_46836_5848_16386.jpg

Tongue with a Lemon Caper Sauce

gallery_46836_5848_45997.jpg

Tongue and Beets

gallery_46836_5848_3252.jpg

Ox Tongue and Bread Salad

gallery_46836_5848_76379.jpg

And now for something completely different: Cold Lamb's Brains on Toast

gallery_46836_5848_87249.jpg

I haven't posted much lately, but I've been reading and looking and enjoying lots of vicarious meals!

Ann - I never think to grill Italian sausage, but I will now!

Bruce - those chicken kebabs look so good. Mine always turn out dry, but yours look so moist!

Prawncrackers - that cod looked amazing. What great flavor combinations! I love the idea of a Serrano crisp - how'd you do that??

Chris - that reuben is gorgeous. The grilled bread alone is a work of art!!

I finally have the time to post my Easter meals - it has been a busy week. And if you know what we had for Easter, you know what we've been eating since :wink: !

Firstable is breakfast - pretty simple because I knew I was cooking all day - I had some sausage rolls in the freezer (actually Christmas leftovers), so I just baked them and served with scrambled eggs and store-bought croissants and cinnamon rolls:

gallery_34972_5847_16562.jpg

While I was finishing everything up we snacked on Marlene's warm cheese dip:

gallery_34972_5847_149819.jpg

It was wonderful. Everyone loved this!

We also had my mom's fantastic shrimp mold:

gallery_34972_5847_121502.jpg

(I just noticed the open bathroom door and the toilet in the background - lovely :rolleyes: - one of the many things I hate about my kitchen)

Dinner started with apple-walnut tossed salad w/ a cranberry vinaigrette:

gallery_34972_5847_130667.jpg

Deviled eggs:

gallery_34972_5847_155556.jpg

Glazed ham w/ grilled fruit salsa:

gallery_34972_5847_37184.jpg

Macaroni & cheese bake:

gallery_34972_5847_167963.jpg

This was so good! It is a recipe that was recommended by kbjesq when I mentioned that I'd never found a recipe that I really liked. Even Mr. Kim liked this and he is not a big mac & cheese fan.

Roasted Asparagus:

gallery_34972_5847_108059.jpg

I also made Southern green beans and sweet potato yeast rolls (no picture - I got flustered getting everything on the table).

Dessert was my MIL's incomperable hot cross buns, malted mousse cake and something called 'No-fail Sugar Cookies" - they were guaranteed not to spread while baking; they didn't, but I found the flavor a little flat - more vanilla next time, I think (oh, and some toasted coconut marshmallows - not intended by the manufacturers for Easter, but they are a family tradition :biggrin: ):

gallery_34972_5847_28513.jpg

gallery_34972_5847_194226.jpg

gallery_34972_5847_71954.jpg

gallery_34972_5847_215924.jpg

I haven't posted much lately, but I've been reading and looking and enjoying lots of vicarious meals!

Ann  - I never think to grill Italian sausage, but I will now!

Bruce  - those chicken kebabs look so good.  Mine always turn out dry, but yours look so moist!

Prawncrackers  - that cod looked amazing.  What great flavor combinations!  I love the idea of a Serrano crisp - how'd you do that??

Chris  - that reuben is gorgeous.  The grilled bread alone is a work of art!!

I finally have the time to post my Easter meals - it has been a busy week.  And if you know what we had for Easter, you know what we've been eating since :wink: !

Firstable is breakfast - pretty simple because I knew I was cooking all day - I had some sausage rolls in the freezer (actually Christmas leftovers), so I just baked them and served with scrambled eggs and store-bought croissants and cinnamon rolls:

gallery_34972_5847_16562.jpg

While I was finishing everything up we snacked on Marlene's warm cheese dip:

gallery_34972_5847_149819.jpg

It was wonderful.  Everyone loved this!

We also had my mom's fantastic shrimp mold:

gallery_34972_5847_121502.jpg

(I just noticed the open bathroom door and the toilet in the background - lovely :rolleyes: - one of the many things I hate about my kitchen)

Dinner started with apple-walnut tossed salad w/ a cranberry vinaigrette:

gallery_34972_5847_130667.jpg

Deviled eggs:

gallery_34972_5847_155556.jpg

Glazed ham w/ grilled fruit salsa:

gallery_34972_5847_37184.jpg

Macaroni & cheese bake:

gallery_34972_5847_167963.jpg

This was so good!  It is a recipe that was recommended by kbjesq when I mentioned that I'd never found a recipe that I really liked.  Even Mr. Kim liked this and he is not a big mac & cheese fan.

Roasted Asparagus:

gallery_34972_5847_108059.jpg

I also made Southern green beans and sweet potato yeast rolls (no picture - I got flustered getting everything on the table).

Dessert was my MIL's incomperable hot cross buns, malted mousse cake and something called 'No-fail Sugar Cookies" - they were guaranteed not to spread while baking; they didn't, but I found the flavor a little flat - more vanilla next time, I think (oh, and some toasted coconut marshmallows - not intended by the manufacturers for Easter, but they are a family tradition :biggrin: ):

gallery_34972_5847_28513.jpg

gallery_34972_5847_194226.jpg

gallery_34972_5847_71954.jpg

gallery_34972_5847_215924.jpg

Any chance of recipes for the warm cheese dip and the shrimp mold? Pleeeeease? :wub:

ETA: Never mind, I'm an idiot; of COURSE they're on your home page. DUH! :blink:

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"