• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Those picture, those pictures!!! It WAS a comfort-food night, wasn't it?

Our guys were very late getting back from a service call in Ohio and ate en route, so I had mashed potatoes. Rolling the big garbage can out to the curb got me soaked with that cold rain, so I came in, had a hot shower about 5, got into some warm dry cotton jammies, and stuck two potatoes in a pot.

Drained them, dropped in a bit of butter, smashed them skins and all, added a little salt and a glug of whipping cream which was supposed to go into a zuccotto this weekend (But I'm going to GEORGIA to see some BABIES instead!!!).

So I and a bowl of warm, buttery potato smushiness sat down at the TV, feet tucked up in the big rocker, Pride and Prejudice in the DVD slot, and just let it rain.

Decaf Cinnamon Cap after in a big yellow cup.

So I and a bowl of warm, buttery potato smushiness sat down at the TV, feet tucked up in the big rocker, Pride and Prejudice in the DVD slot, and just let it rain.

Drool...that sounds so wonderful. There's something about P&P when it's raining...and mashed potatoes to boot? Count me in!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I didn't snap a photo but I took some leftover chunky mashed sweet potatoes, seasoned them with Garam Masala and salt and formed them into round patties. I then coated them in Panko crumbs and pan fried. Meanwhile I made some poached eggs and some Mornay sauce with parmesean. Placed the eggs on the sweet potato cakes and poured the sauce over them. I was surprised at how great they turned out.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com

A few days ago I created a topic in the wine section inquiring about a wine pairing selection for French Onion Soup.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=77433&hl=

Got much advice and was requested to post some pics of the dinner.

Figured this topic was the applicable place to post the pics and then add a link on the wine site.

Also, I would like to apologize for the inconsistent clarity of the photos. My wife just got a new camera that has a low light non-flash function but to take a clear photo you have to have the stillness of a champion Bi-athlete.

So here goes.

Saturday myself and 9 other folks had a winter-influenced dinner.

With 3 cooks doing a sort of potluck.

The dinner was very heavy. My buds and I always love cooking wintery comfort food, this being our first stab at it this season we went a little bonkers.

Apps were Gougeres, Brie, Foie Gras pate, Imported Maille mustard Sisefromm's mom brought back from France, Lucques Olives, Cornichons, and Jamon de Paris.

Champagne for the women and Fischer Amber beer for the guys.

bistrohors.gif

First Course done by me was a classic French Onion Soup. I have made many FO Soups but for this occasion decided to used a lot of the technique Thomas Keller uses in his Bouchon Zen patience 11 hour Marathon recipe. Basically the soup consisted of Beef stock, a sachet the onions and butter.

The crouton I made much thicker than he suggested to avoid and problems with sinkage. And frankly the cheese crust on the side of the bowl and the bread are my favorite part.

The cheese I used for the crust was a 50/50 mix of cave aged gruyere and 15 month aged Comte'

If you are nuts like me and have the time the results were absolutely worth it.

Best FO soup I have ever eaten.

I paired it with a pretty good Alsatian Pinot Gris. The wine was an adequate match as I went into detail on the wine post I linked above.

Heres the pic of the soup.

bistrosoup.gif

Second course done my buddy Chris

He made Niman Ranch Crispy pork belly with a morel cream sc and some asparagus and Fleur de Sel.

The belly was braised I believe until it had the texture and pliability of carnitas at service he torched the little squares under the broiler and crisped up the fat cap.

Then he plated the pork on a few asparagus spears and topped the pork with a couple whole creamed morels and a smidge of demi glace.

Very, very good. HE had dried morels he got from a high-end market and I was hesitant about what the outcome would be but they were tender and super concentrated in morel goodness.

Here is the pic, which I might add was taken in the dwindling second of my cameras battery dying. The camera actually took an mpeg movie. Which Jason(SiseFromm) thankfully converted to a gif file. Terrible resolution. Sorry.

I think Chris brought a pretty good burgundy, which I am, going to assume was mostly Pinot the way it tasted. Good match with the Shrooms.

Here’s the pic…

bistroporkbelly.gif

Sisefromm who posts a good amount on the Gullet and is more than possessed with eating did next course.

Jason and I dream about food all the time.

He did a rendition of the Balthazar cookbooks Duck Shepherds pie.

As I understand it the duck part was braised shredded leg meat bound with demi glace and topped withm ashed celery root and potato puree then gratineed till a slight crust formed.

Top shelf stuff to say the least. Jason spent I think close to 6 or 7 nights making everything from scratch. In the end, and partially because I did not have to do anything but eat the dish, the effort was worth it.

A fine way to take all of us to the brink of bursting.

I can’t remember what wine Jason served. Im sure he’ll chine in when he sees this.

At this point in the evening I think the ten of us had finished 12 beers and close to 10 or a dozen bottles of wine. My memory of the events from here on out gets a little fuzzy.

Here’s the pic of the Shepherds Pie…

bistroduck.gif

Lastly for dessert Jason made chocolate pots du crème.

One of our guests brought a bottle of Banyuls, which sent the dessert into the stratosphere.

No pics of the dessert as we just plain ass forgot to take a photo.

Note the wine again.

Shaun

"You can take my foie gras when you can pry it from my cold dead hands"

Shaun Sedgwick

baxter@pinpointnow.net

Great pictures Shaun.. What fun it sounds like you guys had.. A group effort well executed.. The food looks awesome too.. I would love the duck shepards pie recipe..

Sisefromm Im sure can take care of you.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showuser=12732

Toodles

"You can take my foie gras when you can pry it from my cold dead hands"

Shaun Sedgwick

baxter@pinpointnow.net

As 2 o'clock starts to approach I know its soon time for Chufi's dinners.. You never disappoint, that shrimp dish looks really good.. Great looking chorizo too.. Looks different then any I have seen do you have a photo of it uncooked

Edited by Daniel (log)

As 2 o'clock starts to approach I know its soon time for Chufi's dinners.. You never disappoint, that shrimp dish looks really good..  Great looking chorizo too.. Looks different then any I have seen do you have a photo of it uncooked

hehe that's the benefit of having EGulletters from all over the world.. it's always dinnertime somewhere

I went to my Spanish/Portuguese deli for my usual fresh chorizo but they were out.. then they recommended this one, it was very very fresh and soft, and beautifully spiced, not hot at all just very fragrant and sweet. I'm getting it again for sure and if I remember I'll take a pic of them uncooked!

You know the only thing better than this thread, is the monitor at my office 17" in full wonderful color. Lap tops are nice but the pictures just jump out at you.

They all look great.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Tonight's supper was "Clean Out the Fridge Crêpes": leftover Hainan chicken, corn, and gailan chopped up and sautéed with Riesling, some corn stock, salt and pepper, and a bit of fresh lemon juice. The corn stock gave the filling a low cal creaminess because it's made with soya milk. We drank the 2004 Gehringer Riesling with the crêpes, which picked up the lemon in the meal quite nicely.

For dessert: red grapes dipped in melted Vivani Feine Bitter Grüntee Chocolate. My five- year-old son loved this. Maybe we'll have to get a little fondue pot for Christmas!

I have a vintage Moffat gas oven that broke down, so have been cooking top o' the stove for two months. Please give me some inspiration. I've done the stir fries, chilis, risottos, lamb shanks, stews, and I'm running out of ideas. One more week to go. (I hope.) I miss baking cookies.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I have a vintage Moffat gas oven that broke down, so have been cooking top o' the stove for two months. Please give me some inspiration. I've done the stir fries, chilis, risottos, lamb shanks, stews, and I'm running out of ideas. One more week to go. (I hope.) I miss baking cookies.

sole meuniere (sp), omelettes, steamed mussels/clams, chowder, pork chops, schnitzle (sp), gnocci/ravioli, seared scallops........ :biggrin:

I can’t remember what wine Jason served. Im sure he’ll chine in when he sees this.

Hey all. It was a 2000 Chateau La Couspade Margeaux. A magnum to be exact, which we polished off in spades. What a night.

Great pictures Shaun.. What fun it sounds like you guys had.. A group effort well executed.. The food looks awesome too.. I would love the duck shepards pie recipe..

It's your typical braise, topped with pureed root vegetables. Basically, sear off the duck legs and thighs, set aside, saute the aromatics, deglaze with wine, reduce by half, add the duck, cover with veal stock, cook for several hours. I removed the duck to cool so I could shred the meat from the bone, removed the spent vegetables and herbs, and covered the pulled duck meat with the strained stock/wine. The next day I defatted, reheated, strained again. Then again. Then again. Finally, I sauteed a dice of carrots, folded into the duck, reduced the sauce, filled the gratin dishes, then covered with potatoes and celeriac I pureed with cream and butter. Voila.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

sole meuniere (sp), omelettes, steamed mussels/clams, chowder, pork chops, schnitzle (sp), gnocci/ravioli, seared scallops........ :biggrin:

Ah yes, mussels, chowder et al. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hey all. It was a 2000 Chateau La Couspade Margeaux. A magnum to be exact, which we polished off in spades. What a night.

It's your typical braise, topped with pureed root vegetables. Basically, sear off the duck legs and thighs, set aside, saute the aromatics, deglaze with wine, reduce by half, add the duck, cover with veal stock, cook for several hours. I removed the duck to cool so I could shred the meat from the bone, removed the spent vegetables and herbs, and covered the pulled duck meat with the strained stock/wine. The next day I defatted, reheated, strained again. Then again. Then again. Finally, I sauteed a dice of carrots, folded into the duck, reduced the sauce, filled the gratin dishes, then covered with potatoes and celeriac I pureed with cream and butter. Voila.

Is that Margaux ready to drink or could it spend more time in the cellar?

The shepard's pie sounds like a labour of love. That meal you had sounds like it was off the charts.

Zuke

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

We are in the middle of moving so taking a cue from Susan's dinner last week we decided to use up the ricotta and the spinach in the fridge.

64096192_c90c3a4b3f.jpg

this was good but for me it needed some protein or crunch. I would add toasted pine nuts or hazlenuts next time, or some pan fried salami! :biggrin:

Inexpensive cotes du Rhone in the glass... and boxes..... lots of boxes..... :wacko:

Trying out the "little flower" button on the camera :rolleyes: on my very ad hoc mixture of stuff with rice noodles: ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, sesame oil, tempura sauce (I have no straight soy, how weird) with some prawns, a scrambled egg (note to self, buy a wok where you can segregate the sauce better), some peas for colour, and topped with sweet Thai chili sauce and some grated carrot.

PB140017.jpg

Weird but hit the spot. I see that I obviously need more practice with that flower button, sorry!

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Is that Margaux ready to drink or could it spend more time in the cellar?

Zuke

It was pretty damn good. The 2000's are a thing of beauty. Could it have waited a few more years? Definitely, but it would have been no use trying to convince me of that on Saturday night.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Hutspot, mashed carrots, parsnips, onions and potatoes, with fresh chorizo sausages

gallery_21505_1968_20633.jpg

Ooooooh... :: insert Homer Simpson drooling :: That looks fantastic. Heh, it sounds fantastic.

I'm definitely making that one. What's Hutspot mean -- hotpot? I looked around for recipes, and found that most didn't use parsnips, but I think parsnip sounds like a great idea for this, so I'm definitely using that...

My dishes are certainly not anywhere near as refined and beautiful as everyones here so be gentle :laugh:

I wanted to try some dishes I learned in the cooking class I took. So I started by finding some squid on sale at the local market. These squiddies were HUGE compared to the babies we used in class. I was a little unprepared. I also noticed that in class they were cleaned for us (how nice!) cleaning them myself was not so fun. I was so dirty with squid parts I didn't take pics of the actual squid cleaning but here's what my two big squids looked like when they were cleaned. [Aside - What the heck do you do with the eyes/eye sockets and the like, I found NO elegant way to remove this stuff]

PICT0001.sized.jpg

So now they are drying away on a paper towel and I get some water boiling for some linguine and start tossing together my salad consisting of red pepper, green onion, golden kiwi and lychee.

PICT0002.sized.jpg

I really dug the colour of the salad as it was coming together. I was also worred about tossing it with my dressing (lime juice, rice vinegar, sugar, fish sauce, lychee juice and a red pepper). Gentle toss, thats the only way to avoid bruising the kiwis.

Ok so here is what I learned AND what I respect about chefs of the world over. Timing. I don't know how you guys do it. My fiancee came over and I was midway through breading the squid, boiling the pasta and frying the pasta sauce. I had to deep fry the squid, reduce the sauce and toss in the brocolli and pine nuts as well as toast the cashews for the salad. I began to gently toss my salad with the dressing while trying to keep my squid from overcooking in the oil, my sauce from burning and the pasta from going beyond al dente.

End result? The pasta was overcooked and I tossed the broccolli into the sauce a little too 'vigorously'. Thankfully the squid turned out ok.

PICT0004.sized.jpg

I think I 'overdressed' the salad as well. I should have gone light and then drizzed some over the finished product. It tasted better than it looks :biggrin:

PICT0006.sized.jpg

I need to learn more about timing. I just read the EGCI lesson on plating...ooh my next dish will have to have tear drops!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Fud,

everything looks great.. Its always so stressfull and fun to try new things during crunch time.. The dishes look great.. And will only get better.. It only gets easier.. The eventual goal for me was to feel as comfortable as a guest in my own home.. A big part for me was to be an hour away from finishing the main course when guests arrive.. So this automatically has you relax and enjoy and almost stall.. Never have the food be finished early..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Ooooooh...    :: insert Homer Simpson drooling ::    That looks fantastic. Heh, it sounds fantastic.

I'm definitely making that one. What's Hutspot mean -- hotpot? I looked around for recipes, and found that most didn't use parsnips, but I think parsnip sounds like a great idea for this, so I'm definitely using that...

hutspot means something like to "mash and mix everything together". See here for more info about this dish

Monday

Smple fast dinner of homemade sourdough bread, pungent Raclette cheese and Black Forest ham sandwich with some nice Dijon. the funny part is I could not stop my toddler from munching on it, stinky cheese and all :biggrin: . I had to make another one.

Teusday:

Slow braised brisket in red Vino, with Acorn Squash risotto. I braised the brisket last night and simple degreased and reheated tonight.

gallery_5404_94_775624.jpg

Dessert: Jamie Oliver's Surpirse Pudding, basically a beet cake :wacko: with Marsala spiked creme fraiche. Kinda interesting and nicely pungent.

gallery_5404_94_392038.jpg

Wednesday:

Leftover thinly sliced brisket in a sandwich with homemde marble rye, more raclette, grain mustard and shaved onion. toddler had his leftover with rice this time.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog