• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

inspired by Kevin72's ragu in his Year of Italian cooking thread, I made ragu yesterday.. I think it was on the stove for about 6 hours.

Today when I was cycling home from work and thinking about food as usual, I thought about the pasta I was going to serve it with, and then I thought: why not make fresh pasta?

It wasn't until I was at home and making the pasta, that I realized how I've changed.. a year ago (that would be BE, Before EGullet :smile: ) I would not have dreamed of going through 'so much trouble' just on a weeknight after work. Turns out it was no trouble at all! And I finally got to use my cute pasta rack

pastamolen.jpg

Pasta with ragu.. best I ever made (or tasted :smile: )

ragu.jpg

In terms of making your own pasta, it really is such a great thing to do.. I cant recommend it enough.. For a quick spaghetti or ravioli, its really simple.. The dough = 2 eggs and one cupe of flour.. Roll it out, cut it up.. I can have 2 servings of spaghetti or a bunch of simple ricotta stuffed raviolis by the time the water starts boiling..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Chufi-

That Ragu and pasta kickass! I love making homemade pasta, welcome to the club (Even though I do not ahve a cool pasta rack like yours :sad: )

Wednesday:

- Pan seared salmon with a nice crispy skin. Topped with lemon shallot sauce and creme fraiche

- Parsleyed redskin new potatoes with butter

gallery_5404_94_692672.jpg

Thursday

-Chinese inspired pork stew with cabbage, acorn squash and mushrooms. Slowly cooked in a sandpot. Doesn't look like much, but tasted damn fine

gallery_5404_94_761248.jpg

-My first time making Chinese breads following Tropp's recipe for Steamed Flower Buns. I was very pleased with the result. Looked great and tasted awsome with the stew.

Here they are before steaming

gallery_5404_94_741957.jpg

And after

gallery_5404_94_145129.jpg

....man I should've added a Daniel-style bite shot

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Wow, these steamed buns look pretty cool. Did you have have a discussion anywhere?

Not that I know of...I just wanted to try something different with Chinese food other than rice and noodles. These (from Barbara Tropp's first great book) seemed cool, tasty and not that hard to make.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I have been a lurking around here for a year or so and finally joined and recieved participating member status. Its really great seeing what people make at home. Usually I don't feel comfortable sharing stuff I make up but in this case it actually turned out pretty well. Its Rum Soaked Jerk Ahi Tuna, which I paired with brown rice and asparagus.

finished%20rum%20tuna.jpg

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com

Here are a couple of shots from the night before last. The photography challenge that these dark nights present is making me refer to this time of the year as "off-season" for food photography -- at least at dinner time on the porch. :sad: I am already looking forward to longer daylight.

This dinner tasted so good. We had sauteed pork chops, turnips mashed with salt, pepper, & butter, and tiny Brussels sprouts cooked to just the right doneness & finished with a dash of grapeseed oil.

gallery_13038_1949_99466.jpg

gallery_13038_1949_124609.jpg

Last night I went out for dinner with a girlfriend, to celebrate her birthday and for an early holiday celebration. I had seared foie gras over lentils that were cooked in carrot juice & root vegetables, served with tahini grape sauce; Chilean sea bass marinated in soy, honey, miso & grapeseed oil, with spinach, scallions & portobello mushrooms, surrounded on the plate by a celery root puree; and a dessert sampler plate. My friend picked the bottle of wine because that was on me, for her birthday, and it was a Ferrari-Carano Chardonnay. It wouldn't have been my first choice as a match for the food I ordered, but it was excellent, as was the espresso. I spent sooo much money, but it was sooo good. :wub: Please pardon me for this much detail on a dinner I didn't cook, but I just had to share this with all you dinner thread food lovers.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Alinka, I thought you had warned us of vegetarian options to come?  That fish looks so purty...

Well, we'll call it "pesco-vegetarian" :wink:.

Wow, these steamed buns look pretty cool. Did you have have a discussion anywhere?

Not that I know of...I just wanted to try something different with Chinese food other than rice and noodles. These (from Barbara Tropp's first great book) seemed cool, tasty and not that hard to make.

Now I'll have to see if the library has the book.

I have been a lurking around here for a year or so and finally joined and recieved participating member status.  Its really great seeing what people make at home.  Usually I don't feel comfortable sharing stuff I make up but in this case it actually turned out pretty well.  Its Rum Soaked Jerk Ahi Tuna, which I paired with brown rice and asparagus. 

finished%20rum%20tuna.jpg

Welcome, repoman! The tuna looks delicious. We have a great group here and share the good stuff as well as the not so good, we hope to see more of your photos.

Did you follow a specific recipe for this dish, or was it something you created?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

That funny cathryn.. Actually, the butter was put on the hot biscuit for the photo.. I took the shot and a normal amount of butter had melted so I put the rest on the side..

Forgot dessert.. Its a lemon sponge thing.. Lemon juice and zest is added to yolks.. Beat the egg whites and mix with sugar.. Bake in a water bath.. It was really refreshing,.. Soupy at the bottom airy at the top.. Mix the two and its just great..

gallery_15057_1168_970668.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

We had Friday night Happy Hours at home tonight instead of out. It was my turn to pick 'n' pay (we alternate), & I had a craving for a hamburger and hot dog fix... It had been way too long. We drank beer and later wine, and grilled the hamburgers and hot dogs outside. Our collection of goose fat has grown, so we deep-fried homemade fries in that. The fresh local shrimp looked mighty good, so we boiled some of those for a starter.

gallery_13038_1949_113937.jpg

gallery_13038_1949_101001.jpg

Mmm-mmm good.

:wub:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Chilean sea bass marinated in soy, honey, miso & grapeseed oil, with spinach, scallions & portobello mushrooms, surrounded on the plate by a celery root puree;

I miss Chilean sea bass. :sad: I substitute halibut now. I hope halibut doesn't become un-PC anytime soon.

Sounds like a great dinner, Susan...a foie gras woman after my own heart :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Tonight's menu: Ma Po Tofu. It is a Sichuan specialty. There are many versions of the Ma Po Tofu recipe. This is my interpretation of it. Marinated ground pork stir-fried with silken tofu in a sauce made from dried red chilies, chili bean sauce, hoisin sauce, chicken broth, sugar, Sichuan peppercorn powder and chopped green onions.

gallery_19795_2050_18627.jpg

If you are interested in the recipe, click here.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

hzrt8w (by the way, I mentally pronounce your name as "hazard to weight :shock: "), how wonderful to see one of your dinners here! I have been following you pictorials in the China forum, they're great.

Our dinner last night was Dutch kapucijner peas with all the trimmings: bacon, onions, mustard and pickles. Real Dutch winter comfort food.

gallery_21505_1968_72980.jpg

yesterday:

pomegranate martinis

a big bowl of braised baby brussel sprouts with pancetta and cheddar biscuits

(oh how i love brussel sprouts, and now i'm craving chestnuts)

chocolate-coconut tartlets from gale gand's recipe

apple cider doughnuts

midnight snack: caramel pudding :-)

Daniel- I call that dessert lemon pudding cake, I love all kindsa pudding cakes, so comforting

Went to Arthur Ave today and picked up some things for tomorrow.. Got some great Braciole, fresh ricotta, ricotta salata.. Baked it with ziti,salami, and a pink sauce..

gallery_15057_2056_595778.jpg

The meat was stuffed with parsley,cheese, ham, and a ton of garlic.. Fried it for a while... Awesome.. So garlicky..

gallery_15057_2056_1014836.jpg

Baked Ziti

gallery_15057_2056_910921.jpg

Instead of the bite, tonight i will go with the doormans dinner shot.. I am low on the ricotta salata otherwise I would have made him a gratin..

gallery_15057_2056_552672.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Made Thomas Keller's Mac and Cheese (Bouchon)--mostly. I was higly skeptical that it would enough better than my regualr to justify the extra work. Maybe not, but wow was it good. Grilled Salmon and a romain, Marcona almonds, cranberry salad. Served with Ridge Zin--nothing goes better with Mac and Cheese.

gallery_34864_2057_89594.jpg

First contribution to Dinner! thread. That was fun.

Sam

Edited by syount (log)

Delicious meals, all!

Tonight I had dinner at a friend's house, and he made a Moroccan-inspired pizza! It had ground lamb browned with cumin, curry and cinnamon, roasted tomatoes, havarti, mozzerella, caramelized onions and garlic. Yum! Dessert was (courstesy of yours truly) Ina Garten's brownie tart.

Just what I need today - MORE chocolate. :wacko:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007