• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rarerollingobject

Dinner! 2012

dcarch – Your salmon is beautiful. And I’m QUITE sure that you would make a lovely pot roast! I love the waffle ironed green tomatoes!

mm – I’d love to try that woodcock. The entire dish looks and sounds delectable!

Pot roast soup is what all good pot roast wants to be when it’s time comes. When I make that pot roast, I always double up on the sauce ingredients so that I have plenty for soup. Picked apart meat, all the sauce, some of the leftover noodles and a handful of peas make good soup – and what we had for dinner a couple of nights ago:

med_gallery_3331_114_52883.jpg

And Biscoff spread and banana crepes:

med_gallery_3331_172_48668.jpg

I make ugly crepes, but they were very good!

Night before last - pot roast soup again, with a side of cheese, hummus and really good local bread:

med_gallery_3331_114_124379.jpg

Cheeses are Ca De Ambros Taleggio and Soignon goat brie. Both were lovely, but I’m kicking myself that I forgot I had a jar of preserved figs that a friend gave to me. That would have been incredible. Oh, well, back to Whole Foods, I guess!

I also made cranberry sauce for Christmas dinner to put in the freezer.

I guess talking again about the fantastic compositions of dcarch, or the wonderful technique and platings of mm84321 and avaserfi would be repetitive, so I will not insist...

Kim, I could be eating that soup the whole winter!

Sous-Vide Duck day! First, one of the best French foie gras I've ever eaten, cooked sous-vide in torchon style, 57ºC for 45 minutes:

foie-sv-57c_P.JPG

Then leg confit sous-vide, from Modernist Cuisine:

duck-leg-confit-sv.JPG

I guess talking again about the fantastic compositions of dcarch, or the wonderful technique and platings of mm84321 and avaserfi would be repetitive, so I will not insist...

Kim, I could be eating that soup the whole winter!

Sous-Vide Duck day! First, one of the best French foie gras I've ever eaten, cooked sous-vide in torchon style, 57ºC for 45 minutes:

foie-sv-57c_P.JPG

Was this the torchon recipe from the Modernist Cuisine as well?

Was this the torchon recipe from the Modernist Cuisine as well?

No, I cleaned and seasoned it following Keller in TFL, then cooked SV according to different recommendations I found on webpages.

I used to think I could cook, but I'm pretty sure I'm some sort of back alley hack after seeing and reading the past 83 pages. I am so amazed and impressed, and have so many ideas in my head now.

Enrique – I will trade you a gallon of soup for one plate of that gorgeous food that you showed us. So lovely and delicious looking.

Twyst – I agree. And I’m afraid that I’m secretly Sandra Lee :unsure: .

After a week too full of pot roast soup, tonight I made Patty Melts:

med_gallery_3331_114_153946.jpg

80/20, American, Swiss, seeded rye bread and caramelized onions – just what we needed! Plus crinkle cuts:

med_gallery_3331_114_74226.jpg

And for Mr. Kim, kale:

med_gallery_3331_114_171862.jpg

Ooohweee! That looks very tasty. And me without a dinner tonight...

Finally a meatball recipe I'm proud of. Just a simple mix of beef, pork, fresh bread soaked in milk, salt, pepper, parsley, fennel seeds, egg, dried basil, oregano and marjoram and a good measure of ricotta. They were incredibly soft and juicy. I browned them in olive oil then into the oven napped with marinara sauce using canned San Marzano tomates. I didn't even need any pasta, just a few slices of bread.

005.JPG

Im starting to think mm84321 is secretly thomas keller.........

Right?!

Has a lot of time on his hands...

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

I was playing around the other day with the idea of meat and potatoes the other day.

_MG_0181-Edit+final.jpg

That looks really good Andrew.

What's in it and did it also come with a sauce?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I was playing around the other day with the idea of meat and potatoes the other day.

_MG_0181-Edit+final.jpg

That looks really good Andrew.

What's in it and did it also come with a sauce?

Thanks.

The beef is boneless short rib that I seared and pressure cooked with beef stock, charred ancho chilies, espresso and onion consomme (inspired by red-eye gravy). I did a natural release, then chilled the braise in its liquid. The next day I removed the meat and clarified the braising liquid, then reduced it by half and finished with salt and an espresso-chipotle vinegar.

The meat was gently rewarmed in an oven and then researed. I glazed it with the sauce and served it on crispy shoe string potatoes with a poached and fried quail egg.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

crust.jpgcrust.jpg

Today I made a pizza with pepperoni, two cheeses, mozz and parm, and some really nice mild sweet onion. got a nice crust on it too. it was good.

za.jpg

---------------------------------------

Some French Bistro cooking for dinner tonight

Lovely!

Thanks, the crust on the fish was fabulous. A few months back I changed my technique for sauteeing fish. No dusting of Wondra flour, (an Eric Ripert trick), no non-stick or cast iron pans, (only a stainless pan), only salt and pepper, (no more Cajun seasoning), and a mix of olive oil and clarified butter. It has to be clarified butter. Then basting the fish with the butter/oil throughout sauteeing and roasting. Incredible.