• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum 'n' raisin ice cream recipe?

antdad

I would just add the macerated raisins to a vanilla ice cream base. Here are 2 I use, one is thickened with egg yolks, and the other is thickened with cornstarch, each would make an appropriate base for a rum raisin ice cream.

Vanilla Ice Cream Base (Yolk)

1 qt. half and half

10 egg yolks

10 oz. sugar

White Ice Cream Base (Cornstarch)

16 fl. oz. whole milk

10 fl. oz. heavy cream

4.5 oz. sugar

1/4 t. salt

1 T.+1 t. cornstarch

I make my own by the bowlful by adding raisins to taste and about 2 tsps of rum to a bowl of vanilla ice cream, then stirring like mad. It would probably be better if I soaked the raisins first because they get awfully chewy in the cold ice cream...but I like 'em like that.

Rum ice cream from Migoya's Frozen Desserts using El Dorado 12 with raisins hydrated in Sailor Jerry. I'm not a big fan of rum raisin ice cream but I made that for a friend who is and it got the thumbs up of approval.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm sure a salted caramel rum raisin would taste fine, perhaps up the salt in the mixture and fold in a caramel. For my personal taste, that would seem like a bit too much going on in a single ice cream, I think you'd lose alot of the rum flavor when you have a caramel and additional salt added to the mix, but we all have different preferences. I'd like to do a rum raisin for winter time, add a tiny bit of cinnamon and ginger and freshly grated nutmeg, yum.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

• 10 years later...
11 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

rum raisin ice cream is a crime

:sad::sad::sad:

Oh dear. Even though I am not a fan of rum this is still one of my favourite ice creams. 

Host's note: this was split from another topic, as the quote shows. Let the debate and possible fine-tuning begin!

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A drive from Calgary to Banff. A well known creamery we stopped. A scoop of rum raisin and a scoop of black licorice. Heavenly. Don't care for rum or raisins unless raisins/dried fruits are soaked in bourbon but have always liked rum/raisin ice cream even as a wee one. 

Black licorice love I share with my father. We all have odd culinary desires. 

6 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

rum raisin ice cream is a crime

I've never had rum raisin ice cream but I'm curious what makes it so bad. I've made drunken raisins with aged rum, warmed it up, spooned it over vanilla ice cream and quite liked the result. 

• 3 weeks later...

If loving rum raisin is a crime, then let me be guilty.

Definitely macerate the raisins in rum for a good while to keep them soft. And rummy. 

As for the base recipe, it's a good idea with booze recipes to adjust the sugar blend so they don't get too soft. This lets use lots of rum (only a problem if you're selling commercially). 

Here's some tips. A little out of date, but the basic ideas are useful.

• Like 3

Notes from the underbelly

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've been meaning to try that one, though the prune and Armagnac version sounded pretty good, too!

Now that would be truly decadent.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm on team @liamsaunt. Rum Raisin ice cream is a punishable offense. Prune Armagnac is also terrible. Cloying and gummy. In my 70+ years I've never known anyone who orders Rum Raisin or keeps it in their freezer. And while we're at it raisins have no place in rice pudding, but everyone know that.

14 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I'm on team @liamsaunt. Rum Raisin ice cream is a punishable offense. Prune Armagnac is also terrible. Cloying and gummy. In my 70+ years I've never known anyone who orders Rum Raisin or keeps it in their freezer. And while we're at it raisins have no place in rice pudding, but everyone know that.

I am fond of rum, raisins, and ice cream.  But not in the same breath.

However I am not ashamed if a few raisins find their way into my rice pudding.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am fond of rum, raisins, and ice cream.  But not in the same breath.

However I am not ashamed if a few raisins find their way into my rice pudding.

Good, because raisin shame is beneath you. You're far too tough of a cookie. 

• Haha 2

I can't even wrap my head around all the rum raisin hate. The flavors make such a natural pairing that it seems preordained. 

If you are against this flavor, which objectively embodies goodness, I will assume you're a foreign bot, created to sow discord and undermine democracy. 

Prove me wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Notes from the underbelly

5 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I can't even wrap my head around all the rum raisin hate. The flavors make such a natural pairing that it seems preordained. 

If you are against this flavor, which objectively embodies goodness, I will assume you're a foreign bot, created to sow discord and undermine democracy. 

Prove me wrong. 

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155637-the-eternal-raisin-debate-innocuous-dr-jekyll-or-insidious-mr-hyde/

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Small quibble.  The sweet spot for Appleton is 12 years.  Younger than twelve years it can be rough.  I stock Appleton Joy but I wouldn't waste Joy on ice cream.  However I might employ Joy in a mai tai, though so far I haven't yet.

I've often wondered how mai tai would work as an ice cream flavor.  Sadly I suspect it, at least my mai tai, wouldn't freeze.