• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whipped Cream Dispenser

ElsieD

I would like to get one of these but I don't know the first thing about them.   This is strictly for home use, and for whipped cream only.  I won't be doing any fancy foams.  I have always purchased the Isigney canned whipped cream at Costco and it is an excellent product.  However they only carry it around now and so far, I haven't seen it.  I believe if I have my own dispenser it will soon pay for itself.  Any recommendations?

• Like 1

I also have a 1 pt/0.5 l size iSi whip.  I have this one (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that came with 3 different tips. 

I don't use it much since I discovered I could whip 1/4 cup of cream using the whisk attachment on my immersion blender but it still comes in handy from time to time. 

Remember that these things are holding and releasing contents under pressure so you want something built for the task.  The iSi brand is very reliable. There may be others that are comparable but I'd avoid going with an inexpensive knock-off just to save a few bucks.

• Like 1

A couple of questions, keeping in mind that there are only two of us here.  Do I need a new cartridge every time I use it?  Can I store whipping cream in it?  Do I have to disassemble and clean it after each use?

• Like 1

@ElsieDi would just search on utube for a demo of how to use a canister…there are tons of them and they are very good.  I think I got mine at Superstore or Great Canadian Wholesale Club if you have one near you…or Amazon.

good luck.

just charge the cylinder with the cream in it and store in fridge.  Use it as many times as the cream lasts then disassemble and clean.  That’s it.  I do clean the tube the cream comes out if after each use but that is minor.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've checked Amazon but I don't know what's good.  I looked on-line at Superstore and Wholesa l e club and neither listed it.  Superstore is walking distance from me so once the freezing rain and snow stops I'll rake a look.

I have four or five iSi pressure vessels, but I no longer use them for whipped cream.  Nitrous oxide whipped cream texture is light and airy and I prefer my whipped cream a little denser.  However at least one of my iSi vessels resides in my refrigerator at all times for methode rotuts.  I purchase carbon dioxide cylinders by the case. 

These days I use a little USB C milk frother for my whipped cream.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

29 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have four or five iSi pressure vessels, but I no longer use them for whipped cream.  Nitrous oxide whipped cream texture is light and airy and I prefer my whipped cream a little denser.  However at least one of my iSi vessels resides in my refrigerator at all times for methode rotuts.  I purchase carbon dioxide cylinders by the case. 

These days I use a little USB C milk frother for my whipped cream.

Are you saying those little frothers can whip cream?  Please tell me more.

Dave Arnold implores everyone to only buy Isi. There have been cases of off-brand siphons blowing up in people's faces. I don't know how serious a deal this is, but considering that Dave is usually a "safety third!" kind of adventurer (and is not sponsored by Isi) this caught my attention.

You say you're only interested in whipped cream. But who knows what you'll want to experiment with once you get the thing in your hands. They're super versatile. And fun.

I recommend the 1/2 liter Isi ... the one that can do either hot or cold. But not the insulated model. This one is the most versatile for most uses. 

My one rant about Isi is that they don't sell the containers separately. You should be able to get a separate containers in various without buying whole additional siphons. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Notes from the underbelly

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Are you saying those little frothers can whip cream?  Please tell me more.

I've been through four frothers.  The first died after one use.  The second frothed just fine, but could not whip cream.  The third has two mixing discs rather than one.  It both froths milk and whips cream, but it doesn't do a great job of mixing Instant Breakfast.  The fourth frother has multiple attachments and handles all of the above.

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've been through four frothers.  The first died after one use.  The second frothed just fine, but could not whip cream.  The third has two mixing discs rather than one.  It both froths milk and whips cream, but it doesn't do a great job of mixing Instant Breakfast.  The fourth frother has multiple attachments and handles all of the above.

Does the 4th one have a name?  How long does it take to whip, say, a half cup of whipping cream?

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Does the 4th one have a name?  How long does it take to whip, say, a half cup of whipping cream?

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I'd say quick, but forgive me for not getting up and timing.

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I'd say quick, but forgive me for not getting up and timing.

Can you tell me the approximate length of the thing itself without an attachment and the length of the whisk part without the stem?  I couldn't find it in the descriptions.  I never knew such a thing existed.  Well actually, I had heard and seen of frothers but never heard of one that could whip small amounts of cream.  It may just serve the purpose for what I want to do.

@ElsieD, if you take a look at the reviewers' photos, I saw one of them had it laying next to a ruler. With the wand attached, it was 12" overall and looked like around 5" without the attachment.

• Thanks 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

34 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Can you tell me the approximate length of the thing itself without an attachment and the length of the whisk part without the stem?  I couldn't find it in the descriptions.  I never knew such a thing existed.  Well actually, I had heard and seen of frothers but never heard of one that could whip small amounts of cream.  It may just serve the purpose for what I want to do.

The body is 6 5/8 inches and the whisk is 6 1/2.

I must add that I have only used a frothing disc to whip cream.  I have yet to try the whisk attachment.  I'd assume the whisk is for larger amounts than I would/should consume in one sitting.

39 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I must add that I have only used a frothing disc to whip cream.  I have yet to try the whisk attachment.  I'd assume the whisk is for larger amounts than I would/should consume in one sitting.

Thank you.  How big is the whisk without the stem?  Just the whisk itself?  You've whipped small amounts of cream with the frothing disc?

6 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you.  How big is the whisk without the stem?  Just the whisk itself?  You've whipped small amounts of cream with the frothing disc?

The whisk itself is 1 3/4 inches.  I have whipped whipped cream with the frothing disk of frother number 3.  Frother number 4 seems higher powered but I've not had whipped cream since I got it.

Thank you all for your replies,  I appreciate your taking the time.  In the end, I decided the whipped cream dispenser was overkill as all I really want to be able to do is whip small amounts of cream.  I'm thinking of amounts you would put on a dessert for 2 or 4 people.  I have ordered the one @JoNorvelleWalker linked to and we'll see how that works out.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2023 at 12:09 AM, paulraphael said:

considering that Dave is usually a "safety third!" kind of adventurer (and is not sponsored by Isi) this caught my attention.

My one rant about Isi is that they don't sell the containers separately. You should be able to get a separate containers in various without buying whole additional siphons. 

Dave basically set himself on fire with his 'St. George and the Dragon(?)' art project, yes? Crazy. Still my favorite maniac.

I share your canister rant. This should be a thing.

• Like 1