• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO soap dispenser with strong reusable pump

TdeV

I have purchased some surprisingly pricey empty plastic bottles with a "reusuable" pump only to discover (again and again) that the pump fails. (e.g. look here). These bottles are filled with foaming soap made in my blender (4:1 unscented dish soap and water). The pump fails after the first bottle of soap foam.

Has anyone discovered a reliable soap dispenser? TIA.

DW, for reasons I've never "explored" . . .  likes to buy scented soap pumps - kitchen, powder rooms, bath . . .

when the kitchen scented pump-foam dispense goes empty, I refill with (diluted) hand soap of the super-cheapo-generic variety.

works peachy keen.  like 2-3-4 years . . .

• Like 1

I use a touchless foaming soap dispenser from Secura that I got on Amazon (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). It's rechargeable (charges last forever) and you can select the amount of foam you'd like it to dispense. I have bought a couple from that company and have been very happy with them, but it looks like there are a ton of similar highly rated products from different brands on Amazon. And my two year old loves it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had enough dispensers fail that I stopped buying them.  Now I just buy a bottle of liquid soap that has a pump and refill that. This one is holding up really well. That's not the scent mind had(mine was Ocean Breeze), but it's been refilled with other soaps so many times I can't even remember what Ocean Breeze smelled like.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Safeguard-Liquid-Hand-Soap-Nourishing-Notes-of-Lavender-15-5-oz/548555258?fulfillmentIntent=In-store&athbdg=L1102&from=/search

• Like 1

Dial used to make a foaming hand soap that didn't make my hands dry and the corners of my nailbeds crack (this is when I still had my restaurants, and hand-washing was constant). Of course, it was discontinued, because that's just how these things go. I bought every bottle I could find in local stores, and when I finally ran out I went on using those bottles and refilling them by diluting the next-best soap I could find.

Those eventually wore out, of course, and I hadn't really given any thought to the whole foaming-soap idea again until this thread. Might have to get me one of those dispensers (he says, contemplating his dried and cracked fingertips...).

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@TdeV, I've had the same issue with foaming dispensers and I also sometimes make my own or use concentrated soap that you dilute. I find the pumps last longer if I use distilled water to make the soap. And if they fail, try taking the pump and soaking it in a white vinegar solution to clean it out. Sometimes helps. I think a lot of this issue has to do with how hard your water is.

• Thanks 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

16 hours ago, lemniscate said:

This one has lasted me years (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), first with the original container, which I somehow cracked.  I put the pump into a mason jar with a drilled out plastic lid and still it lives on.   I like the long reach of the spout.   I should buy another one now that I think of it.

i just checked my Amazon order history, this pump mechanism is from 2010.  14 years on my sink working.

• Like 3

Do you suppose there is any difference in the behaviour of the pump mechanism whether the contents are liquid soap or soap foam?