• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

5lbs of fresh Rosemary... ideas/help?

TheStarvingArtist

So, I over-ordered, and wound up with MASSES of beautiful fresh rosemary from a local herb farm. Anyone have any stellar ideas on preservation/batch usage/etc. so it doesn't have to go to waste? I'll probably do a vinegar, and maybe an olio santo, and might make a wreath....and that only takes care of about a third of it..... help!

Torrence O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

Encrust red meat with it before hitting the grill. Lots of antioxidents are good for you.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Oil infusion. Based on suggestions in Modernist Cuisine, I tried a few olive oil infusions - roasted garlic, lemon, rosemary, oregano & thyme. I made 250mls of each as I had some spare 250ml glass jars. I followed the guidelines in MC for a safe infusion - I think the oil and flavourings were heated sous vide at 80C overnight (would have to check), the results are wonderful. I've been amazed how quickly I used them all. I love roasting potatos with the roasted garlic oil, I love a dribble of lemon oil on beans and broccolini. With so much rosemary, you could probably buy 4 litre can of olive oil, infuse the lot (heating everything for a long time to keep it safe), and then pour the result back into the same can. 4 litres might last you years...

Wow...sous-vide stabilization sounds like a godsend! Do you keep it in the fridge? Or is it even shelf-stable?

Torrence O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

It's shelf-stable. Just to clarify, the sous-vide rig is used to sterilise/pasteurise the oil, you don't need to do it sous-vide but it's a pretty easy way of allowing time for the flavours to infuse but not have to worry about the oil getting too hot or even too rancid. I strained the oil afterwards, so there was no visible residue left. I used it all pretty quickly, but I don't see why it wouldn't last for a year or so in an airtight bottle.

BTW I also remembered that I made a Thomas Keller pie crust using pine nuts, and I added a load of finely chopped rosemary to it. I was expensive for a pie (I think about $15 just for the pine nuts alone) but everyone loved it, as it wasn't too sweet and the rosemary was subtle but very complimentary. Well worth a try, although you'd have to bake a lot of pies to make a dent in 5lbs of rosemary.

I forgot where I saw the idea, but sounded interesting. Freezing herbs in oil in ice cube trays, so you can have individual portions of flavor oil on hand. I think it mentioned doing the same thing with wine and stock as well.

Rosemary creme burlee is quite good.

We have more rosemary growing around our complex than any other plant, so fresh rosemary is as simple as stepping outside to snip some. But recently I made a batch of a BBQ rub called memphis dust that called for powdered rosemary. It was a piece of cake to dry it in the microwave and then powder in a mortar and pestle. In your case you could just dry and save what you don't use fresh.

If you have a vacuum sealer, you can try sealing a sprig and freezing it. Then thaw and see how well it survives. I do this with Thai basil and while it wilts and blackens on thawing, it works and tastes fine when used in a cooked dish. Rosemary is more sturdy and I'm guessing it would survive the freeze/thaw cycle much better.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Again, this is not going to make much of a dent in your supply, but it is something you can do with it later if you find it freezes well. I add 2Tb of finely chopped rosemary to a batch of shortbread, then sprinkle with sea salt before baking. The lightly sweet cookie is great with the addition of that salty, herbal flavor.

Extract into neutral spirits (high proof) and then use as a base note in perfumes (if you're so inclined). Otherwise, infuse infuse infuse! I may end up getting an SV rig specifically to produce shelf-stable infused oils.

Oh, and rosemary with raspberry infused in red wine vinegar is the stuff of the gods. I could drink it straight (and often do).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Simply dry as much as you are not going to use fresh, or in the other compounds. Either tie the base of several stems together and hang upside down in a dry, airy place or, if the stems are short, place them in a mesh colander and toss them every day or so until dry enough that the leaves separate from the stems with just a touch.

I grow loads of rosemary and dry some for recipes where the fresh is not appropriate. It will keep for a minimum of six months in a jar, longer if you can vac-seal it.

You can also make jellies with rosemary - apple-rosemary jelly is a "classic" - sometimes with tomato, and an onion/garlic/rosemary jam is lovely for serving with game, both meat and fowl.

I googled "rosemary jelly" and found several recipes, including these. I've just made the two but there are some other interesting ideas.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Simply dry as much as you are not going to use fresh, or in the other compounds. Either tie the base of several stems together and hang upside down in a dry, airy place or, if the stems are short, place them in a mesh colander and toss them every day or so until dry enough that the leaves separate from the stems with just a touch.

I grow loads of rosemary and dry some for recipes where the fresh is not appropriate. It will keep for a minimum of six months in a jar, longer if you can vac-seal it.

You can also make jellies with rosemary - apple-rosemary jelly is a "classic" - sometimes with tomato, and an onion/garlic/rosemary jam is lovely for serving with game, both meat and fowl.

I googled "rosemary jelly" and found several recipes, including these. I've just made the two but there are some other interesting ideas.

I agree,and if they are plants plant em and use them fresh,and in the winter dont over water or they will get mildew and die(dont ask how I know about the mildew.problem...

Bud