• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Graham Cracker Alternatives?

Panaderia Canadiense

Here's a question for y'all.

In Ecuador, there's no such thing as Graham Crackers. However we've got a wealth of Arrowroot-type digestive biscuits which are similar in flavour and texture (but which don't include Graham flour). Has anybody out there experimented with cracker crusts that don't use Grahams? For example, will it end in tears if I try a crust made with, say, vanilla Arrowroot biscuits? Any hints? (I'm perfectly comfy with standard Graham crusts - I can get perfect slightly crunchy and not at all crumbly results every time and at all altitudes.)

Alternately, has anybody made their own Graham Crackers? Care to share a recipe?

Thanks!

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

And lots of people make crusts with Oreos, or other chocolate cookies. Pretty tasty. I've had these chocolate crusts with cheesecakes and other assorted refrigerator and freezer pies, but the classic, of course, is Grasshopper Pie. Anybody remember that?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Any sort of dry cookie will work fine...though you might want to look for less-sweet versions. Have used plain choc wafer cookies, vanilla wafers, gingersnaps, amaretti, shortbread, and even Tollhouse crumbs (watch for over-browning/burning chocolate if you use chocolate chip cookies). For a sweet/salty crust, try pretzel crumbs.

Edited by HungryC (log)

For a sweet/salty crust, try pretzel crumbs.

Another vote for the pretzel crust. A favorite from several years back, Margarita Pie is often made with a pretzel crust. And it's also particularly good with strawberry pies.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A previous eGullet discussion on Graham Crackers with recipes that may be helpful:

Graham Cracker recipes (click)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

For a sweet/salty crust, try pretzel crumbs.

Another vote for the pretzel crust. A favorite from several years back, Margarita Pie is often made with a pretzel crust. And it's also particularly good with strawberry pies.

Pretzel crust? Margarita filling? All the good things go together. Thanks. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Every year I am given a huge tin of the "Danish" sugar cookies - found everywhere, Staples always has a tower just inside the door.

Considering the amount that I bake, it is truly a "coals to Newcastle" thing. However I hate to waste anything so I bag them and put them in the freezer and use them for crusts for cheesecake, cream pies, etc.

You can also use them to thicken "fruit" soups if they don't quite come together and I have even used some to thicken chili when I didn't have any bread crumbs.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've made crusts from all kinds of cookies (pepperidge farms, oreo-type sandwich cookies, biscotti) even dried cake crumbs (using the tops that I level off after baking, drying them out in the oven). I'll bet it would work to even use the right kind of breakfast cereal if you've got that (granola type),

Maida Heatter has a graham cracker recipe in her cookie book; you can roll it out as for sugar cookies and line the pan with it, or make cracker shapes and grind them for crumbs...

No Graham crackers here either, so I use shortbread or shredded wheatmeal biscuits mostly, but I have also seen Nice biscuits used for cheesecake bases and they work well. I think you could use almost any plain sweet biscuit/cookie and it would work.