• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Royal Wedding Party ideas

teagal

Got invited to a friends house for a Royal Wedding party. They'll be DVRing the wedding and we'll watch it on Saturday. Want to bring something theme related~ maybe some champagne, or some type of "royal"or English food/snack/dessert/cocktail. Any ideas?

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

sausage rolls are very,very English and will give you some options, they're good hot or cold, with mustard, chutney, cheese and crackers, etc.

simply brown off some mild sausage in roll shape, roll in pastry, and bake till brown and cooked all the way through. the pastry can be puff, or piecrust.

We have these at teas, and at most holidays, especially in the evening with other snacks.

---------------------------------------

What time is the ceremony from where you're at? Coronation Chicken is a good suggestion. We're going with the strawberries and champagne because they work before bed AND while waking up.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Coronation Chicken is royal-ly. And if made well, quite nice.

I love Coronation Chicken, and it's a great counterbalance for all those scones and clotted cream. I'm also all about the Scotch Eggs and beer.

But to be really authentic for the younger members of the royal fam, I'd suggest cocaine and champagne, curry chicken on the side. Make sure you have a polo mallet handy and a pony chomping up the grass in your back yard. Don't ever forget your hat, but knickers are optional.

Edited to add: Don't forget the deep fried Mars Bars -- so authentic. :laugh: My maternal grandparents were poor English 1920s immigrants to Canada. They were furiously anti-monarchist. My paternal side were third generation Scots immigrants shipped to Canada during the enclosures; um, they loathed singing God Save the King (Or Queen.) I think the wedding is a match between two good looking, not too bright young folks who represent what I loathe, but: I'll be watching! Scotch Eggs and Sausage Rolls in hand, taking fashion notes and crying at the hymns. Tea, of course.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I'd suggest cocaine and champagne, curry chicken on the side...knickers are optional.

Don't forget the deep fried Mars Bars -- so authentic.

I think the wedding is a match between two good looking, not too bright young folks who represent what I loathe, but: I'll be watching! Scotch Eggs and Sausage Rolls in hand, taking fashion notes and crying at the hymns. Tea, of course.

Hmm, this is england is it - class A drugs, french wine, indian food and no knickers. Sounds like a good night out to me but I'm obviously living in the wrong part of it.

High tea is a good idea - sarnies (triangles or fingers are fine, crusts removed) - cucumber, salmon, egg mayo, ham, served on a tiered cake stand. Some scones, clotted cream and strawberry jam, a few choice pastries and a nice cup of char. And yes, a good english sparkling wine and strawberries to follow.

Nice to see some of you guys getting excited about it!

I stumbled onto something about the royal wedding on television last night. One of the palace's chefs was talking about how pretty much, a lot of what he serves the royal family is straight from Escoffier. Fish quenelles (forget what species he used--something along the lines of turbot) served with a lobster and asparagus garnish and a lobster sauce.

I'm sure you can rustle up a kilo of cockscombs and kidneys between now and then. And, too, make some espagnole.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Just reading Anne Easter Smith, Margaret of York (sister of Edward IV) at her wedding to Charles, Duke of Burgundy. The wedding feast included: roast swan, peacock, egret and pheasant, venison, beef, mutton, car and bream. decorated jellies and custard. Yummm.

I suppose it's also the wrong century for eel.

BTW, Margaret attended the feast without Charles, a custom in Burgundian propriety.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I suppose it's also the wrong century for eel.

It's never the wrong century for eel. Grilled unagi sushi, anyone?

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks for all the ideas. The coronation chicken sounds real good. I think that's what I'll make to have with strawberries and sparkling wine. The strawberries I've been getting are amazing and I have to remember to have my fill before the season ends.

Enjoy the ceremony!

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

sausage rolls are very,very English
Kir royals.

I can't believe I'm actually thinking about how good this sounds for 5 am on a Friday morning. Until now my menu consisted solely of a large pot of coffee.