• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emeril Lagasse's BAM meals

GlorifiedRice

Apparently Emeril Lagasse has been bitten by the licensing bug.

Emeril is allowing his name and likeness to be placed on CANNED PASTA MEALS

FOR KIDS! Think Chef Boyardee and Franco-American!

According to the website Emerils BAM MEALS are:

BAM MEALS are great tasting, good for you, fun meals in a minute made special for kids by Chef Emeril Lagasse. Put a smile on your face and your children’s when you watch them devour the New Emeril BAM MEALS. Emeril cares about you and your children and wants to do what’s right for both of you. No MSG, 25 percent less Sodium than the leading brand and whole lot of other goodness plus all Chef Emeril’s love and caring make these meals really special and great tasting for the whole family.

Why Emeril? Why?

http://bammeals.com/

Edited by heidih
Delete copyrighted image (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Because Auguste Gusteau is his hero.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Ripping Mr. Lagasse seems to be a requirement to be an EG member. Mr. Lagasse has been very successful in creating "Emeril" as a brand. He has established and run successful restaurants. Has published many books. And wait for this one, had an extremely successful career on TV, on yes, the horrid Food Network, that we all know is an insult to cooking as we approve of it.

If extending that brand to this product is a decision he and his people have reached I say why not? I know no self-respecting EG member would ever consider serving canned ravioli to their kids. But their may be some less enlightened folks on the planet who do not have time to make and roll their own pasta, fill it and cut it to shape and prepare a sauce from home grown organic vegetables. If his product truly is better than others on the market I say why not?

So lets rip Lagasse. Frankly, I think he should be saluted for creating a brand that can be extended in the general market.

Perhaps I am too plebeian and uneducated to have developed the required animus towards Mr. Lagasse that seems to be required around here. To me, he is a highly successful chef and businessman. And for that, I think he should be congratulated, not ripped. If he is too low brow for you tastes, please ignore him

Hmmm, several thoughts...

I don't mind anyone selling out if they can. But it does affect the brand, so I hope it was a big check - I think this could prove to be Emeril's shark jump.

But I guess Ettore Boiardi didn't do so bad for himself.

Holy crap! One can of Chef Boy-ar-dee ravioli has 96% of one's daily sodium needs. A can of Emeril's only has 56%.

I'm now waiting to see Emeril's guest judge appearance on Top Chef's canned food elimination challenge.

Oh yeah, and for me, the image associated with "BAM!" now includes an inverted can of ravioli.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

I'm with you lancastermike - I loved Emeril in his early days....he was a novelty. Remember there was a time when seemingly everyone loved Dr. Phil? I will be honest and say I don't watch him unless it's on the Green Network now, it's kind of a back-to-basics show.

You are completely correct in your point that he is a marketing machine. Any of the celeb chefs are, truly: Batali, Colicchio, Ramsay, Oliver and countless others. That's how they make money. Padma Lakshmi think's she's a chef/cook when she's more a model, but she's branded herself and she's making money. There are very few Marco Pierre Whites out there! Don't hate on him, he is a brand manager now and he's a heck of a lot wealthier than I will ever be.

To me, he is a highly successful chef and businessman. And for that, I think he should be congratulated, not ripped. If he is too low brow for you tastes, please ignore him

Yes, he's successful, but so what? Being a successful businessman and making a profit doesn't render one beyond reproach. It is not a shield for legitimate criticism. Just ask Lloyd "Doing God's Work" Blankfein.

Rip away, folks.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Ripping Mr. Lagasse seems to be a requirement to be an EG member. Mr. Lagasse has been very successful in creating "Emeril" as a brand. He has established and run successful restaurants. Has published many books. And wait for this one, had an extremely successful career on TV, on yes, the horrid Food Network, that we all know is an insult to cooking as we approve of it.

Perhaps I am too plebeian and uneducated to have developed the required animus towards Mr. Lagasse that seems to be required around here. To me, he is a highly successful chef and businessman. And for that, I think he should be congratulated, not ripped. If he is too low brow for you tastes, please ignore him

A little less sarcasm and a little more proof, please. You and I started posting on eG about the same time, but I don't perceive the same global animus toward the man that you do. From what I recall and from what I see via a quick search (and from the small sample now on this thread), the comments are within shouting distance of balanced.

For an interesting and somewhat related (and long) forum, here's the one about Rick Bayless and Burger King, mostly from 2004.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

@GlorifiedRice--How did you feel about Ferran Adria's line of Lay's potato chips? Surely Adria earned just as much disgust and disappointment from you as Emeril has. And if not, why not?

And let's not forget Adria's cookbook which makes use of convenience foods like supermarket rotisserie chicken and uses potato chips to make Spanish tortilla. Does that cookbook make him any less great a chef than he is? Does it bring him lower in the average eG reader's eyes?

(FWIW, I really couldn't care less, but it seems so many people here do.)

I just skimmed the nutritional information and it appears that the only thing "better" is the lower sodium, no MSG, and no high fructose corn syrup. The overall calories and fat are the same as the leading brands they comp on the site, and sadly the Bam meals seem to have a little less fiber.

Nutritional information aside, I think Emeril is dynamic. Kid food is hugely about marketing. If eating a Bam meal versus another brand is possibly going to get kids to want to watch Emeril and (stretch maybe) want to watch his shows and try to cook then I can see a possible long term kid benefit.

Anyone up for a side by side taste test? :wink:

This isn't Emeril. Well, at least not directly.

Emeril sold his marketing rights to Martha Stewart's Omnimedia back in 2008. http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/02/19/martha-stewart-living-omnimedia-set-to-buy-emeril-empire/

Emeril no longer has control over any of these products. Martha Stewart could put his face on a box of condoms if she so wanted. He only owns his restaurants.

If you want to blast someone, blast Martha Stewart.

If eating a Bam meal versus another brand is possibly going to get kids to want to watch Emeril and (stretch maybe) want to watch his shows and try to cook then I can see a possible long term kid benefit.

Or not. I mean, most kids won't even know if he's a real person. When you were a kid, did you know that Chef Boyardee was based on a real person? Duncan Hines? Did you even think about it? Admittedly, those guys were long gone when I was a kid and Emeril is still on TV a fair amount, but I think for a lot of kids he'll be as real as Betty Crocker or Martha Stewart.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I guess I'm not a self-respecting egullet member.

My almost 13 year old actually likes Chef Boyardee ravioli. This is the same child was eating sashimi and chunks of parmesean at a preschooler. It's nice to know that there's a lower sodium option out there for him.

Cheryl

Dunno about the canned stuff, but Emeril's cookbook for kids is quite functional.

It has real recipes for real food. The for-kids part was in choosing dishes kids tend to enjoy,

with recipes within their grasp.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.