• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Archway & Mother's Cookies bite the dust

Toliver

I spied with my little eye......

Mother's Cookies back on the shelf here in So. Cal.!!!!!!

Taffy Cookies (2 went into the cart)

English Tea

Iced Oatmeal

Iced Animal

Cocadas (but not the really good coconut ones)

They are distributed by Kellogg's.

Theres a blurb on the package "Your Favorites Are Back!" ......Thank God!

English Tea

Iced Oatmeal

Iced Animal

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, this is a *GOOD* thing !

Yeah, baby, Taffy cookies and Iced Oatmeals.........goin' to the store tomorrow !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I am firmly in the iced animal cookiesl and iced oatmeal camp. They are what I grew up on. No one in my house cooked, these were a staple. I am glad to hear they got rescued.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Another Iced Oatmeal lover. A favorite snack with sliced apples and wedges of Cheddar cheese.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

English Tea

Iced Oatmeal

Iced Animal

Thanks for being the bearer of good news! I will stop by the grocery store this evening to see if they've found their way here.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Spotted Iced Animals and a few others (oatmeals, I think?) in Foster City, CA!

Hoping, hoping, hoping that they bring back the "mixed bag" with the iced animals, chocolate sandwich cookies, and mini chocolate chip and sugar cookies...

Spotted Iced Animals and a few others (oatmeals, I think?) in Foster City, CA!

Hoping, hoping, hoping that they bring back the "mixed bag" with the iced animals, chocolate sandwich cookies, and mini chocolate chip and sugar cookies...

Woo-Hoo! I saw them yesterday.

Some, not all, of the sandwich type of cookies were there. While I did see the larger bags of iced animal cookies, chocolate chip cookies, iced oatmeal, etc, I didn't see the mixed bag, either.

I also didn't see the iced raisin cookies. :sad:

So now I am wondering if they're only bringing back certain kinds/flavors but not all of them.

Still, I guess am happy with what I found. :smile:

Has anyone found Archway cookies? Target used to carry that brand and I will be there on Sunday so I can look for myself. Just curious if that line has been resurrected...

Tim Oliver

• 3 years later...

Mother's Cookies has added a new cookie...Jungle Animals iced cookies. They taste the same as the Iced Circus Animals but have green and white icing and the shapes are all jungle-related animals.

I still miss their iced raisin cookies. :sad:

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

How am I supposed to make my Sauerbratten without Archway Gingersnaps?????

Would Trader Joe's ginger snaps work? Their triple ginger snaps are super, but are they acceptable for Sauerbratten?

... Shel

• 5 months later...

Mother's has added new Fudge and Vanilla iced animal cookies. You can see them currently featured on the Mother's Cookies home page (click).

Tim Oliver

• 4 years later...

I'm giving Mother's Cookies the side-eye this morning. 

I recently bought a package of their Taffy sandwich cookies. There was a blurb on the label stating "New Shape but with the same flavor" (or something to that effect).

The new shapes are longer and the cookies tend to come apart a lot more easily.

Then I noticed this morning that the Taffy package with the new cookie shape now contains 2 cookies less than they did before. At the same price. ¬¬

Really, Mother's? Did you think people wouldn't notice?

Greedy corporate rat bastards. A pox on your house!

Edited by Toliver
Edited for spelking (log)
  • Haha 1

Tim Oliver

But sizes are decreasing all the time on practically every product.

It seems that canned foods are the worst.  They started at 16 oz. and now some are 13.5.

At this rate thety'll soon disappear.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/31/2018 at 8:04 AM, Toliver said:

I'm giving Mother's Cookies the side-eye this morning. 

I recently bought a package of their Taffy sandwich cookies. There was a blurb on the label stating "New Shape but with the same flavor" (or something to that effect).

The new shapes are longer and the cookies tend to come apart a lot more easily.

Then I noticed this morning that the Taffy package with the new cookie shape now contains 2 cookies less than they did before. At the same price. ¬¬

Really, Mother's? Did you think people wouldn't notice?

Greedy corporate rat bastards. A pox on your house!

Kellogg's screwed up a good thing and lost a lot of customers.

I haven't bought Taffy cookies since they changed the recipe to some nasty little piece of disappointment.

Good news might be in store though, Kelloggs is selling off their cookie line. 

Hopefully the new owners of Mother's brand cookies will go back to the tried-and-true original recipes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/04/01/business/kellogg-sells-keebler-trnd/index.html

• Like 1

Those taffy cookies used to be my go-to when I packed a lunch for work many years ago.  I haven't bought commercially produced cookies in a very long time.  Now I either bake my own, buy Schwan's cookie dough or go for the bakery cookies.

i do remember those taffy cookies were pretty good in their day.  Too bad now.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

"Mother’s Cookies Has A New Sparkling Mythical Creature Variety Hitting Shelves Now"

...the new Mother’s variety will feature cookies in the shape of mermaids, unicorns, loch ness monsters, and dragons...
Each cookie is covered in white or lavender icing and topped with sparkling silver sanding sugar. 

The "lavender" icing refers to the color, not the flavor, of course.

From the photo in the article the cookies look a lot like blobs of dough. Let's hope the kids eating them have a great imagination.

It's a poorly written article. The last paragraph makes no sense since it has a different launch date for the cookies.

Coming to Walmart March 8th.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tim Oliver

roller coaster of emotions reading this thread for the first time from start to finish; somehow in my on and off years of lurking i'd never noticed it before. 

the best archway cookie was always soft lemon  and nobody will convince me otherwise :D. i'm not sure which regional bakery they used but the ones available to us as children were round with stripes of frosting and exceedingly soft  - apparently this wasn't the case everywhere. today they seem to only sell them in a solid frosting format.

16 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Mother’s Cookies Has A New Sparkling Mythical Creature Variety Hitting Shelves Now"

The "lavender" icing refers to the color, not the flavor, of course.

From the photo in the article the cookies look a lot like blobs of dough. Let's hope the kids eating them have a great imagination.

It's a poorly written article. The last paragraph makes no sense since it has a different launch date for the cookies.

Coming to Walmart March 8th.

Mythical blobs.  LOLOL  I can kinda see the unicorn.   But, as you said, blobs!  

• Like 1