• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crust Dust

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

I just read on the King Arthur Baking blog that  using crust dust--a 1:1 mix of flour and sugar--sprinkled evenly on the bottom crust of a fruit pie can prevent the dreaded "soggy bottom." It seems eminently reasonable to me, but I wonder if anyone else does this? Does it work? I trust the King Arthur people but I'm interested in other peoples' experience.

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

We use just flour when we make our individual galettes; Rose Levy Beranbaum suggests using arrowroot or cornstarch on the bottom crust to help juicy fruits from making a soggy crust.  She also bakes pies directly on the oven floor, which I don't do ;).  (At work, we  use the disposable pie tins and bake on perforated sheet pans).

• Like 2

• 10 months later...