• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Converting from a single crust to a two crust

oli

This is the recipe for a single crust and am I okay with just doubling everything for two crust?

If I am using almond flour in place of the all purp., will this cause a problem?

• 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, divided
  • 1 1/4 cups (6 1/4 ounces) all-purpose flour, divided
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt
  • 1/4 cup ice water, divided

A top crust is usually less dough than the bottom/sides.  1-2/3 or 1-3/4x should suffice.

Almond flour will act differently.  The added fat and lack of gluten will probably make the dough more crumbly & fragile.

1 minute ago, pastrygirl said:

A top crust is usually less dough than the bottom/sides.  1-2/3 or 1-3/4x should suffice.

Almond flour will act differently.  The added fat and lack of gluten will probably make the dough more crumbly & fragile.

To make it less crumbly and fragile would 1 egg take care of that?

19 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

No, just handle with care.  It may help to roll it out between sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap.

Okay, I think I will stick with the all-purp recipe. Will follow your math by multiplying by 1 2/3.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 4:11 PM, pastrygirl said:

I just had a thought, what do you think if I replaced 1/3 cup of AP flour with almond flour and that will help with the crumbly and fragility?

Yeah, then you'd have at least a little gluten to hold things together

Why do you want to add almond flour?  If you can eat wheat and want a flaky pie crust, stick with the traditional pate brisee.  If you want an almond crust, a pate sucree might work better.

https://pastry-workshop.com/pate-brisee-pate-sucree-pate-sablee-3-types-of-basic-dough/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Yeah, then you'd have at least a little gluten to hold things together

Why do you want to add almond flour?  If you can eat wheat and want a flaky pie crust, stick with the traditional pate brisee.  If you want an almond crust, a pate sucree might work better.

https://pastry-workshop.com/pate-brisee-pate-sucree-pate-sablee-3-types-of-basic-dough/

Just trying to step up the flavour over the regular crust since this is going to be a cherry pie and I know almond goes well with cherry.

Thanks

Edited by oli (log)
  • Like 1