• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Michelin Ratings for 2008

We ate there about two nights before Hawksworth left. Absolutely stunning place. Very hard act to follow. Everywhere we went in BC was full of British chefs; maybe they're cheaper than the 'merkin equivalents?

Presumably Executive SOus means 'he thought he'd get the top job, but we wanted to get in another Brit...so we've given him a new title as a sop.'

Visited West when I was in Vancouver last year. I found it by accident having put my name down at (the excellent) Vij’s round the corner and then wandered off looking for somewhere more relaxing for a drink whilst I waited for my table.

So, whilst I can’t vouch for the food, I can certainly recommend their standards of ‘mixology’ and hospitality. I had an excellent martini and the bar staff were kind enough to call through to Vij’s restaurant a couple of times in order to find out when my table was ready.

Excellent wine list too.

Gareth

We ate there about two nights before Hawksworth left. Absolutely stunning place. Very hard act to follow. Everywhere we went in BC was full of British chefs; maybe they're cheaper than the 'merkin equivalents?

Been there too, as it happens, and thought it was pretty good rather than stunning. The quality is pretty formidably high all over Brollywood though.

As for the amount of Brits chefs over there: it's probably something to do with a tendency among Canadian women to take pity on irascible, pasty, laconic men with silly accents and bad teeth. (I speak from experience)

Edited by naebody (log)

i wonder if michelin will have made it out to the sticks to the pipe and glass at south dalton nr beverley, chef/patron / foh james & kate will surely be known to them as they were long time members of the star at harome team indeed james was head chef.

When they opened the food was quite simple but on recent visits it has certainly moved more into the star territory than a decent neighbourhood pub and it seems to be thriving, might be a bit too soon but it wouldn't be undeserved.

you don't win friends with salad

Sorry to jump across the channel folks, but I was reading the Weekend FT for the France Forum tidbits and saw that Derek Bulmer of the UK Michelin, is quoted as saying “The more voices, the better,” he says. “I don’t like to criticise other guides. I think there is a place for everybody, room for us all. I read all the restaurant critics; they are a good source of information, as are chat rooms and websites like www.egullet.com. They are all valid.”

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

i wonder if michelin will have made it out to the sticks to the pipe and glass at south dalton nr beverley, chef/patron / foh james & kate will surely be known to them as they were long time members of the star at harome team indeed james was head chef.

When they opened the food was quite simple but on recent visits it has certainly moved more into the star territory than a decent neighbourhood pub and it seems to be thriving, might be a bit too soon but it wouldn't be undeserved.

I agree the Pipe & Glass is ever-improving, Gary, but I likewise suspect it's too soon for them this year... I'm not sure they have the required consistency yet, and the desserts sometimes fall below the standards of the prior courses.

That said, I've little idea how the emerging Michelin category of uber-pubs works - so perhaps they'll have all in place before too long? I'd be delighted for them if this was the case.

That said, I've little idea how the emerging Michelin category of uber-pubs works - so perhaps they'll have all in place before too long?  I'd be delighted for them if this was the case.

i think that's the key, they appear to compare pubs to pubs not to restaurants.

not sure, this is the first time i can remember them publically setting a specific date and time for release. seeing as they are making a fuss about the mid-day launch i would hope it is up there quickly, especially as my lunch plans may change depending on the results :laugh:

How soon after the official announcement does the .pdf go up on the website?

It always used to go up just after midnight ( I know I'm sad.....) so I guess its a case of refreshing the page after midday!! :biggrin:

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

not sure, this is the first time i can remember them publically setting a specific date and time for release. seeing as they are making a fuss about the  mid-day launch i would hope it is up there quickly, especially as my lunch plans may change depending on the results  :laugh:

Star chasing whore :laugh:

not sure, this is the first time i can remember them publically setting a specific date and time for release. seeing as they are making a fuss about the  mid-day launch i would hope it is up there quickly, especially as my lunch plans may change depending on the results  :laugh:

Star chasing whore :laugh:

i'm already booked in on saturday anyway but it would be a decent excuse for a swift lunch, as i have the last 3 years actually!

edited to add, i remember last time ogla saying are you still coming even though we didn't get the star :laugh:

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)