• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Michelin Ratings for 2008

As much as i love toms kitchen there is NO WAY it is a michelin starred restaurant and despite having a very competent meal at the sportsman i really don't see how that is star worthy either. Are we really suggesting they are up to the standards of maze or l'atelier or arbutus and the ledbury?

No, yes, yes, no.

Sketch 0*

Really? You're basing that on The Lecture Room, rather than the ground-floor disco-teria, right? TLR is ridiculous and awful in many, many ways, but the food tends at least to be interesting and proficiently executed. There are plenty of other starred places I'd chop before TLR@S.

As for the London-centric argument: give over. It's where most of us live, and there are more than 50 Mich stars worthy of discussion within a two-zone travelcard of our tiny, overpriced flats. Of course the argument will gravitate towards the capital.

:wink::biggrin::wink::wink: Plus, it's an unspoken truth that anyone under 65 who doesn't live in London has, in some fundamental way, failed. :wink::biggrin::biggrin::raz::wink::wink:

(runs)

(Edited for tonal clarity.)

Had 8 courses of rubbish at the lecture room ,arrogant french service and a massive hole left in my pocket.And as to being a failure tell that to Blumenthal,Blanc,Everitt-Matthias....etc as all of them are under 65 and don't live in London

Never trust a skinny Chef

:wink:   :biggrin::wink:  :wink: Plus, it's an unspoken truth that anyone under 65 who doesn't live in London has, in some fundamental way, failed.  :wink:   :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :raz::wink:  :wink:

(runs)

Huzzah!

We have to be arrogant, metropolitan elitists. It gives those poor bastards in the provinces something to unite them. If the Cornish couldn't agree with Geordies and the Scousers that Londoners were self-obsessed, effete ponces with overpriced flats, they'd realise that they all hate each other.

We give them something to talk about. eG should pay us. Our bigotry gives the conversation direction.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by Tim Hayward (log)

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

I'm surprised that no one has mentione the mirabelle. Whilst have have had some pleasant meals there over the past few years, very few have mad me feel it deserves to maintain its star and perhaps the change in ownership could give Michelin the excuse they need to demote it. Thoughts?...

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

whoever said that, must be a solid gold, card carrying moron. 

Bit harsh - there are those of us who like Tom's Kitchen and I would hope that you could respect that we have a different opinion of it to you. Did you read the article in question and look at the names of the people who might have tipped it?

whoever said that, must be a solid gold, card carrying moron. 

Bit harsh - there are those of us who like Tom's Kitchen and I would hope that you could respect that we have a different opinion of it to you. Did you read the article in question and look at the names of the people who might have tipped it?

who said anything about you not being allowed to like it, on the right day I like it too. I also like Burger King from time to time, and I don't think that should have a star either.

I might remind you, that if Tom's kitchen were to get a star it would be rated alongside the eponymous restaurant - and yes, only a card carrying moron would think that appropriate.

there is a big difference between liking a casual eaterie and assuming that means it should get a michelin star, and I do not recant one bit from my earlier characterisations. sorry.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

I might remind you, that if Tom's kitchen were to get a star it would be rated alongside the eponymous restaurant - and yes, only a card carrying moron would think that appropriate.

I've never eaten in either of the restaurants in question, but what you're saying here isn't strictly true. One star means a good restaurant in its category according to Michelin, and if the categories of the two restaurants were considered "different" on some level, then they could both legitimately have a star.

This of course continues to cause confusion, as places like Spotted Pig in NY (a gastropub really) continue to hold a star. That remains the only Michelin-starred restaurant where I only ordered fries and beer.

I've never eaten in either of the restaurants in question, but what you're saying here isn't strictly true. One star means a good restaurant in its category according to Michelin, and if the categories of the two restaurants were considered "different" on some level, then they could both legitimately have a star.

This of course continues to cause confusion, as places like Spotted Pig in NY (a gastropub really) continue to hold a star. That remains the only Michelin-starred restaurant where I only ordered fries and beer.

I think NYC michelin guide is a great example of (dumming down) trying to drum up interest and wrestle the competition away from zagat etc. without being "true" to michelin stndards. I appreciate the definition of michelin stars being a good restaurant in "their category" but the idea that the spotted pig (however good it is - and boy it is good!) is a "michelin starred" restaurant is simply ludicrous. Michelin should clarify these things so that differences between standards of michelin restaurants in different countries are not so varied.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I think NYC michelin guide is a great example of (dumming down) trying to drum up interest and wrestle the competition away from zagat etc. without being "true" to michelin stndards. I appreciate the definition of michelin stars being a good restaurant in "their category" but the idea that the spotted pig (however good it is - and boy it is good!) is a "michelin starred" restaurant is simply ludicrous. Michelin should clarify these things so that differences between standards of michelin restaurants in different countries are not so varied.

Couldn't agree more ,and it would only be fair if the same group of inspectors jugded every restaurant worldwide (i know this is probley humanly impossible!!)I just dont understand though how a restaurant in japan can go straight in the guide with 3* ,and some restaurants here have been trying years and years to get 2*/3*

Never trust a skinny Chef

I had lunch in Roussillion and dinner in Arbutus last Friday. Both hold one star but were polar opposites in terms of category of restaurant. Rouissillion represents the old school of 1* and the whole experience seemed to be "michelin by numbers". Arbutus, on the other hand, was a good example of the haute bistro type cooking which michelin currently favours in Paris.

For what it's worth, the food in Arbutus was far superior in terms of flavour and imagination. I also had a superb dinner in Le Cafe Anglais last week and although it might be a too soon for this guide, I wouldn't be surprised if they were to pick up a star in the future.

The sportsman really does deseve a star. Honest and forthright cooking of a sort I've not encountered in a long time.

Fraiche for 1* please.

LCS - I've only been once, and I was impressed, but not to a 3* standard.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

I really don't think the food at the sportsman is any superior to ramsay's pubs or the gun/rosendale etc. How does it compare to The Star at harome? i have never been there are they similar?Whilst it is definitely delicious"honest" food i simply dont think it is up there with the current crop of michelin restaurants i have visited... I'd be more inclined to go with Le cafe anglais, although i agree it is probably too soon.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by nikkib (log)

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I really don't think the food at the sportsman is any superior to ramsay's pubs or the gun/rosendale etc. How does it compare to The Star at harome? i have never been there are they similar?Whilst it is definitely delicious"honest" food i simply dont think it is up there with the current crop of michelin restaurants i have visited... I'd be more inclined to go with Le cafe anglais, although i agree it is probably too soon.

(edited for spelling)

The food at the Sportsman is far more enticing and their whole approach is far from the above named gastropubs. I would go out of my way, and do, to eat at the Sportsman, I would not to eat at the others.........as good as they may be.

The food at the Sportsman is far more enticing and their whole approach is far from the above named gastropubs. I would go out of my way, and do, to eat at the Sportsman, I would not to eat at the others.........as good as they may be.

You wouldn't go out of your way to eat at thestaratharome? You're mad sir/madam. For a start, you'd never get there if you didn't go out of your way.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

You wouldn't go out of your way to eat at thestaratharome? You're mad sir/madam. For a start, you'd never get there if you didn't go out of your way.

:laugh:

only seen pictures of the food at the sportsman and all i can say is i'm very much looking forward to my visit soon.

you don't win friends with salad

Sorry, I did not mean to include the Star in that bracket as I think they are closer to the Sportsman, I was meaning more Ramsey/Gun/Rosendale. I have not been to the Star for about 10 years where as the others are more recent.

Sorry, I did not mean to include the Star in that bracket as I think they are closer to the Sportsman, I was meaning more Ramsey/Gun/Rosendale. I have not been to the Star for about 10 years where as the others are more recent.

The distance betweeb what Harris is doing at the Sportsman and what is being served up at the Rosendale should be measured in light years. I would say there is no comparrison but obviously there is. By comparrison to the Sportsman the Rosendale is completly hum drum and workaday.

Jay

The distance betweeb what Harris is doing at the Sportsman and what is being served up at the Rosendale should be measured in light years. I would say there is no comparrison but obviously there is. By comparrison to the Sportsman the Rosendale is completly hum drum and workaday.

Have to say Van de Groot must have the best PR in London. How the Greyhound and Rosendale have curried so much favour escapes me. there's nothing wrong with either, but not so much truly exemplary either. and the wine list is, erm, highly overrated. and overpriced :laugh:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Have to say Van de Groot must have the best PR in London. How the Greyhound and Rosendale have curried so much favour escapes me. there's nothing wrong with either, but not so much truly exemplary either. and the wine list is, erm, highly overrated. and overpriced :laugh:

Hear hear! The Greyhound is so mediocre it beggars belief it gets into the Michelin year after year, where just down the road the Fox and Hounds is doing lovely fresh Mediterranean food and gets nowhere.