• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to make a sandwich

Fresser

I have never tasted Miracle Whip.. What exactly is it?  I always thought it was the Hunt's Ketchup of the Mayo world.. Is it not Mayo?

Miracle Whip was the staple of all the kids' lunches where I grew up (Cincinnati). Mayo it isn't; it's a 'sandwich spread.' It's white and pretty sweet. I didn't have real mayonnaise until I was in my early 20s, and that's no lie.

As for the sandwich construction: you leave one slice of bread dry because that's the slice the tomato goes next to!

FFB,

I normally put the mayo on the tomato side because the oily mayo forms a shield, protecting the bread from the juice of the tomato.. But I am starting to like the idea of doubling up on the mayo..

I've never heard of putting it on only one slice of bread. And you'd think the Miracle Whip people would urge you to use gobs of it so you'd have to buy a new jar more quickly.

The tomato should always be next to the mayo, simply because it tastes so good together.

• 2 weeks later...
Could this recipe be applied to other sliced meats.. What if I had 5 slices of roast beef.. Or is there a completely different formula?

Not only a new formula, but it needs a whole new book of it's own.

Peter

I have never understood our culture's fascination with mayonnaise.  I've always viewed it is the culinary equivalent of pus.

oh dear...that one's gonna stick with me for a while... :blink:

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

This topic seems to be turning into thread purée.

We've got a bit of that old food humor thread--but we get a bit of that whenever Fresser posts--mixed in with the concurrent Miracle Whip thread in this same forum with a soupçon of Martha thrown in for good measure. If somebody had said upthread, "I only use Boar's Head turkey breast," that would be another thread mix-in. (But of course, that wouldn't happen in this crowd, would it? I mean, we all eschew anything but real roasted turkey breast, don't we?)

Wonder what "The Classic Bologna Sandwich" would consist of?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

My turkey sandwich is

about ¼ inch of my Mum's roast turkey

two slices of white bread, liberally but not gobbily Miracle Whipped, not toasted

cranberry jelly (with berries)

S&P

Constructed thus:

bread

MW

cranberries

turkey

S&P

MW

bread

Cranberries have to go on the bottom slice as they are less prone to fall out. If you only have cranberry jelly without berries available, you can smoosh the jelly on the top slice of bread.

No toast; toast is for turkey salad sandwiches (made with MW, of course).

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

My turkey sandwich is

two slices of white bread, liberally but not gobbily Miracle Whipped, not toasted

S&P

Constructed thus:

bread

MW

cranberries

turkey

S&P

MW

bread

Cranberries have to go on the bottom slice as they are less prone to fall out. If you only have cranberry jelly without berries available, you can smoosh the jelly on the top slice of bread.

No toast; toast is for turkey salad sandwiches (made with MW, of course).

:shock: No, no! Must mix your mayo and cranberry sauce (of whichever type) together with a fork, blending gently to a farily uniform pink, then spread BOTH slices of bread with a healthy glop! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

What I don't understand is why spread your preferred spread on only one slice?  I've seen that elsewhere and I don't get it.  Why have a dry slice on your sandwich?  Plus, the mayo on both bread slices helps glue the sandwich together!

I completely agree. My sandwiches most often have mayo on one slice and mustard on the other. No dry slices!

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I don't recall ever seeing or trying Miracle Whip until I was in my teens. I didn't even know there were brands of mayonnaise other than Hellman's - much less imitation mayonnaise like Miracle Whip.

Fake Kool Whip....  hey...  wait...  that's no redundant - it's a double negative. Does that mean it's real?

In my current state of enlightenment, I believe that

Miracle Whip is to Hellman's

as

Cool Whip is to Redi-whip

as

Velveeta is to real cheese.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 3 weeks later...
This topic seems to be turning into thread purée.

We've got a bit of that old food humor thread--but we get a bit of that whenever Fresser posts--mixed in with the concurrent Miracle Whip thread in this same forum with a soupçon of Martha thrown in for good measure.  If somebody had said upthread, "I only use Boar's Head turkey breast," that would be another thread mix-in.  (But of course, that wouldn't happen in this crowd, would it?  I mean, we all eschew anything but real roasted turkey breast, don't we?)

Wonder what "The Classic Bologna Sandwich" would consist of?

I like bologna and Swiss on rye with mayo--- to be specific, Dietz and Watson bologna and Hellman's mayo.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

My turkey sandwich is

S&P

Constructed thus:

bread

MW

cranberries

turkey

S&P

MW

bread

No gravy? Here's my turkey sandwich:

2 slices of a fairly sturdy baguette, sliced about 1/2 inch each

thick pieces of dark turkey meat

cranberry sauce, cold

maybe a few slices of thick, peppery bacon

enough hot gravy to soak the bread and make it softer

In my current state of enlightenment, I believe that

Miracle Whip is to Hellman's

as

Cool Whip is to Redi-whip

as

Velveeta is to real cheese.

Except for the Cool Whip, each has its time and place.

Since I outed myself over on the Miracle Whip thread, I should note that you get a tangier potato salad with Miracle Whip than you do with mayo.

And I believe I noted in my foodblog that you can make a very good mac 'n' cheese with Velveeta.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

ok will throw my $/02 in

TURKEY SANDWICH

homemade portugese sweet bread - my family made this bread for the holidays NOT to eat with the meal but so we would have it for sandwiches

cranberry sauce or cranberry orange relish

turkey

Miracle Whip

another slice of the bread

SANDY i don't eat them but my boss loves bologna sandwiches. her usual order to wherever lunch is coming from that day is the following:

FRESH white bread

mayo

all beef bologna sliced thin

a little bit of lettuce

potato chips - not on the side but in...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My turkey sandwich is

S&P

Constructed thus:

bread

MW

cranberries

turkey

S&P

MW

bread

No gravy? Here's my turkey sandwich:

2 slices of a fairly sturdy baguette, sliced about 1/2 inch each

thick pieces of dark turkey meat

cranberry sauce, cold

maybe a few slices of thick, peppery bacon

enough hot gravy to soak the bread and make it softer

No, no, no!

A HOT turkey sandwich is

white bread, not toasted

turkey

stuffing if you have any left

white bread

lots of gravy, hot, to soak into all that white bread

cranberry on the side, cold, to be added to each bite, not to melt into the whole

Bacon? that's for clubhouses.

I seem to be a shocking purist :shock:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

What I don't understand is why spread your preferred spread on only one slice?  I've seen that elsewhere and I don't get it.  Why have a dry slice on your sandwich?  Plus, the mayo on both bread slices helps glue the sandwich together!

Given that the sole purpose of jarside recipes is to get you to consume more product & buy it more often, this one becomes doubly incomprehensible.

I wonder how long it will take the bigwigs at Kraft Foods to notice this oversight, fire the offending bumbler, & hire someone to create a new recipe calling for generous dollops of Miracle Whip on both pieces of bread and in between each of the five slices of turkey, with an extra glob between the tomato & lettuce for good measure.

Maybe I should apply for a job with Kraft.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Given that the sole purpose of jarside recipes is to get you to consume more product & buy it more often, this one becomes doubly incomprehensible.

I wonder how long it will take the bigwigs at Kraft Foods to notice this oversight, fire the offending bumbler, & hire someone to create a new recipe calling for generous dollops of Miracle Whip on both pieces of bread and in between each of the five slices of turkey, with an extra glob between the tomato & lettuce for good measure.

Maybe I should apply for a job with Kraft.

Did you ever try to bite into an over-mayonised (or MW'd) sandwich? Major slide factor! Bite...zoom! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 1 month later...

Tonight, we made a giant BLT sandwich and split it before going out to a comedy club:

gallery_2_4_33599.jpg

gallery_2_4_57152.jpg

gallery_2_4_24878.jpg

Although the Brandywine tomato we used was somewhat underripe, it still was very, very good. And yes, thats a Jewish Challah we desecrated with bacon.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Mayo and butter serve a dual propose ~ taste and as a moisture barrier....

If you apply, liberally, the bread will never get prematurely soggy.

MW does not have the same 'moisture barrier technology'!

Not to worry ... I'm sure some pharmaceutical company has already come up with a pill for that particular problem. Nothing to be embarassed about. :blink:

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link