• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braised Beef Sandwiches

Jinmyo

Somehow, I had never done this before.

I had braised some beautiful chuck roasts in red wine (Shiraz) and vegetable juices and wound up with three left over.

I made a pasticchio with some (with leftover ziti in a porcini cream sauce).

But then I made a sandwich for myself:

Sourdough bread, good crust, soft crumb, Normandy cultured butter, Dijon mustard, a bit of horseradish, a wedge of Stilton and a few tiny kosher dill pickles.

Amazing. The sandwich melted after the bite. The profoundly deep flavour.

I cannot go back to roast beef sandwiches again.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Damn that sounds good. For me, there is nothing like braised chuck. That is the beefiest and bestest thing in the world. Braised chuck is the reason cows were invented. Never tried it with Shiraz, though. And I happen to have a bottle. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

that sounds really good. what about braised beef cheeks/veal cheeks?

i recently ate "red cooked" veal cheeks at a local restaurant here in hawaii. not only were they "red cooked" chinese style, but they were heated in a kiawe (mesquite) grill so they had that smoky flavor infused into it also. this sounds like a great sandwich meat to me...maybe without the stilton :smile:

Sure. But you might be surprised what a good kimchi can go with. In this case, I'd say a slice of oi sabagi (stuffed cucumber) kimchi would go great with red cooked cheek.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I used to avoid braised meats. I am pretty sure it was because what I was used to being served was either over cooked and/or under seasoned. I have since been learning how to braise meat better.

One of the braising recipes I have been learning is Chicken Paprikash. The key is to cook the chicken only until it is done. No more than 40 minutes usually.

I usually grill chuck, but I have braised it on occasion. Like the chicken paprikash I cook the meat untill it is tender but not falling appart(I don't like fall off the bone tender). I have not made sandwiches with this but I am inspired to now. Gives me a good reason to make bread also.

Jinmyo, did you have a trail of juices running down to your elbow when you where eating the sandwich?

Thats how I can tell when my sandwichs are made right.

Let me suggest nice, thick slices of challah as the bread for the braised beef. When I make brisket I go with a 6 or 7 pound one so I have lots of leftovers. Take some slices, place on challah - add some lettuce and mustard. Sublime :wub:

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Most braised beef or pot roasts are excellent as sandwiches, hot or cold. Mustard and horseradish are excellent. I'm not sure my preference wouldn't be without stilton or any cheese, but I have been known to spread a layer of the cold braising sauce on one slice of bread, if it's jellied, and mustard on the other.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Just made my mom's Pot Roast French Dip sandwiches the other night. You take a hunk of chuck and braise it for 3 hours. My mom's recipe uses only water to braise :blink: I added beef broth & red wine. After it's done you check the liquid level and add more stock if necessary, worcestershire, dehyrated minced onions :shock: and simmer it for awhile. I also put in a little soy sauce. Big buttered toasty rolls with provolone melted in them, stuff with beef, dip in broth.

Yum.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny how most people put a maximum effort cap for a sandwich filling - you can spend hours cooking something to be served on a plate, with side dishes etc but any sandwich filling that tales more than 10 minutes isn't worth the effort.

Slowly braised meat, thick with onions makes a great sandwich filling (I always thing it needs to be on a roll, rather than sliced bread - preferably a doughy, slightly chewy one) It also goes an incredibly long way - a coupl of kilo's of braised beef can make loads of sandwiches - good if you want to feed a load of people, and you don't even need to butter the bread!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Let me suggest nice, thick slices of challah as the bread for the braised beef. When I make brisket I go with a 6 or 7 pound one so I have lots of leftovers. Take some slices, place on challah - add some lettuce and mustard. Sublime :wub:

Ditto. No lettuce. Yes horseradish.

Reading the portion of this thread about cheese with beef on sandwiches...

Try some brie with roast beef on a baguette; salt, pepper, some peppery arugula leaves and a bit of a honey mustard. Mustard I use is something out of Canada called Honeycup, distinctive here because it is sharp rather than cloyingly sweet as many honey mustards can be.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

• 19 years later...

Staff note: This post and responses to it have been split from the "Unusual ingredients in chili con/sin carne" discussion, to maintain topic focus.

On 6/24/2023 at 5:48 PM, FeChef said:

I add pepperoncini brine to my chili. Not sure olive brine would pair well with chili though.

That does sound better.  By a coincidence, in the last month,  I've seen a couple of roast beef recipes that both use a whole jar of pepperoncini and the brine in the list of ingredients.  I am going to do one tomorrow.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

That does sound better.  By a coincidence, in the last month,  I've seen a couple of roast beef recipes that both use a whole jar of pepperoncini and the brine in the list of ingredients.  I am going to do one tomorrow.

You must be referring to italian beef recipes. I personally don't like pepperoncini that has been overly cooked to death in a crockpot. I would leave the pepperoncini's out until the beef is done, then add them. You can still pour the juice in before cooking which will give you the flavor during cooking.

10 minutes ago, FeChef said:

You must be referring to italian beef recipes. I personally don't like pepperoncini that has been overly cooked to death in a crockpot. I would leave the pepperoncini's out until the beef is done, then add them. You can still pour the juice in before cooking which will give you the flavor during cooking.

The name of the recipe is Chicago-style Braised Beef Sandwiches.  I like the idea of cooking it with just the juice. I think I will do it that way.  It is braised, shredded and made into a sandwich on toasted hoagie buns with Provolone cheese and Girandiniera pickled vegetables. I guess it is iffy as to whether it will be any good or not but I am going to try it anyway.  I plan to just make a half recipe.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

16 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

The name of the recipe is Chicago-style Braised Beef Sandwiches.  I like the idea of cooking it with just the juice. I think I will do it that way.  It is braised, shredded and made into a sandwich on toasted hoagie buns with Provolone cheese and Girandiniera pickled vegetables. I guess it is iffy as to whether it will be any good or not but I am going to try it anyway.  I plan to just make a half recipe.

Chicago beef is good, its one of my favorite sandwiches i make. I don't do the crockpot shredded beef method though. I roast to medium and chill and slice paper thin on my Hobart slicer. I make a celery Gardienera like Al's Beef.

20230522_040709.jpg

20230522_041114.jpg

• Like 4