• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New book: "An Edge in the Kitchen"

Chad

Hi, folks. I promise I'll keep the shameless shilling to a minimum, but if anyone is curious an excerpt from the Introduction is up on chadwrites.com/An Edge in the Kitchen. The Table of Contents is also available if you'd like to take a look.

Looks like I'll be doing a Q&A here on eGullet (yay!), which should be a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to it, so start getting your questions ready.

Take care,

Chad

Stand back, Chad. I'll take care of the shameless shilling from here. :-)

All kidding aside, I've had the fortunate opportunity to read an advance copy of Chad's book. It is informative, entertaining, and filled with Chad's well tuned sense of humor. It will be a fine addition to anyone's kitchen reference and an even better addition to the library of the cutlery challenged amongst the general public and those who should already know better.

-Mike-

Thanks! I appreciate the encouraging words. I got a box of books dropped on my doorstep yesterday, promotional copies that I'm taking to the Blade Show in Atlanta. It's strangely emotional to finally see the book in finished form. I think we're doing the Q&A here some time in mid-June, after the book officially goes on sale.

In the "life just gets weirder" category, my publisher has requested that I do a couple of short videos to help promote the book. The catch, however, is that there is no budget. This is about as crude as it gets. Fellini it ain't.

Chad

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Thanks! I appreciate the encouraging words. I got a box of books dropped on my doorstep yesterday, promotional copies that I'm taking to the Blade Show in Atlanta. It's strangely emotional to finally see the book in finished form. I think we're doing the Q&A here some time in mid-June, after the book officially goes on sale.

In the "life just gets weirder" category, my publisher has requested that I do a couple of short videos to help promote the book. The catch, however, is that there is no budget. This is about as crude as it gets. Fellini it ain't.

Chad

Not bad at all for no budget. It does prove the old saw - "a picture's worth a thousand words". Got the pinch - going to go work on my claw!

Not a bad video for no budget! It also explained "the claw" better than I have ever seen or heard it. I don't think my knife skills are that bad BUT my left hand never felt comfortable. Now I understand that, if I push down towards the food, that the angle will change to allow the flat of the fingers between the first and second knuckle to guide the knife. I don't think I ever really pushed down enough to get that. No wonder I never felt entirely comfortable! I can't wait to go chop something!

I have also preorder that book and look forward to its arrival!

Thanks.

Donna

Donna

I have a bad pinch! No wonder I hate using a knife. I'm going to have to practise that when I get home.

Low-budget or not, it's a good video. You're as good a teacher "live" as "in writing", and it's actually quite difficult to be both.

One thing, would it be possible to put the lighting (ie windows) to your side or in front of you? The cutting board shots were very clear, but the person shots were rather dark (for my poor eyes).

It's here! These are promotional copies for distribution at the Blade Show in Atlanta, mainly to companies that might want to do some sort of cross promotion. It is strangely emotional to finally see my book in finished form.

gallery_8529_2752_27900.jpg

Then real life reasserts itself -- 30 seconds after opening the box my two years of work are nothing more than a cat bed.

gallery_8529_2752_63974.jpg

I get no respect :rolleyes:

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Then real life reasserts itself -- 30 seconds after opening the box my two years of work are nothing more than a cat bed.

:laugh:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

gallery_8529_2752_63974.jpg

I get no respect  :rolleyes:

Chad

Boy, cats will bring you right back down to earth, wont they?

Congrats on the book Chad - can't wait to get my copy.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

"An Edge in the Kitchen" has received a starred review in Publishers Weekly!

An Edge in the Kitchen: The Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Knives

Chad Ward. Morrow, $34.95 (240p) ISBN 9780061188480

Though humans have been using knives for about two and a half million years, you’ll be hard pressed to find as succinct and complete a collection of wisdom on the topic as this masterful volume from cook and writer Ward. He covers nearly everything, from construction and general knife care to proper storage and sharpening, giving cooks all the information they need. Detailed instructions on how to use the most common knives are bolstered with photos that thoroughly illustrate key techniques like dicing, chiffonade and julienne, as well as the lost art of cutting up a whole chicken....

See the whole Publishers Weekly review here (scroll down to the middle of the page).

Chad

edit: solecism

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Congratulations, Chad, I'm looking forward to the book! I've got a whole bunch of knife books now and I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm going to actually read one of them and get to practicing... I even bought a giant bag of onions a month ago, but I never got around to it. I'm hoping your new book can give me a kick in the butt and kickstart my lousy knife skills, so I'm glad the reviewers liked it. Now if I can just get up the motivation to get off my couch... :unsure:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Congratulations, Chad, I'm looking forward to the book! I've got a whole bunch of knife books now and I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm going to actually read one of them and get to practicing... I even bought a giant bag of onions a month ago, but I never got around to it. I'm hoping your new book can give me a kick in the butt and kickstart my lousy knife skills, so I'm glad the reviewers liked it. Now if I can just get up the motivation to get off my couch... :unsure:

Thanks, Chris! One of the problems with the knife skills books out there is that they assume you will practice your skills -- knife skills are just like typing, the more you do it the better you get -- but don't tell you what to do with the 5lbs of carrots or bag of onions you just cut up. That's why I included Knife Skills Workouts, recipes that include nearly all of the techniques in the book. You get some practice and put dinner on the table. I'm amazed that no on has done it before.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Thanks, Chris! One of the problems with the knife skills books out there is that they assume you will practice your skills -- knife skills are just like typing, the more you do it the better you get -- but don't tell you what to do with the 5lbs of carrots or bag of onions you just cut up. That's why I included Knife Skills Workouts, recipes that include nearly all of the techniques in the book. You get some practice and put dinner on the table. I'm amazed that no on has done it before.

Genius, man. Genius. That is exactly my hesitation to the onion exercise. There is only so much french onion soup one can eat in the middle of the summer!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Genius, man. Genius. That is exactly my hesitation to the onion exercise. There is only so much french onion soup one can eat in the middle of the summer!

Somewhere in eG there is a recipe for onion confit made in the slow cooker. That won't add too much heat to the house and will be a great use for all those sliced onions.

I'm actually excited about a knife skills book! I think I do "ok" for a home practitioner, but I have room for improvement. My husband does all the knife maintanence with the electric sharpener. I'm ordering this tonight and it will be fun for us to share this book! Us for the knife selection, me for the use & him for the maintanence.

Looks like a fabulous reference. Looks like you are to knives that Alton Brown is to cooking!

(And the cat in the box is precious! High praise indeed for a cat to select your book as deserving it's attention :raz: )

Good Luck and Great Success to you in the release!

Genny

I arrived home this evening to a package from amazon.

It's here!!!! I've got it!!!

The colour pictures in the middle are the best part so far - excellent! - just like the video.

So should we split off a thread on our thoughts about the book, or can we continue that discussion in this thread? Of course that's when the rest of you who haven't got it yet get a copy! Hopefully soon!

Ok, heading off to Amazon.ca to put up a review.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Somewhere in eG there is a recipe for onion confit made in the slow cooker. That won't add too much heat to the house and will be a great use for all those sliced onions.

it's in RecipeGullet

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Wonderful news Chad. Congratulations on the book. I have one on order from Dave at D&R Sharpening Solutions as well as a whole boat load of sharpening paraphernalia.

Got the pinch - going to go work on my claw!

I can attest to the fact that without the claw you risk becoming clawless. After nearly loosing the tip of my index finger a couple of years ago I'm curing those babies back and making that claw.

Book day! It's actually on the shelves. I stopped by the local Borders just to check and there it was right next to Larousse Gastronomique. That's cool. They've shelved it in "Professional Cooking."

Chad

Man, I'm getting robbed here! The local B&N doesn't have it yet. The guy was very confused when he looked it up on his computer, since it says "Not yet published. Publication date: 6/10/2008." Oh well, patience...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org