• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Tasting Party,

stefanyb

I was planning to do a pear tarte tatin, quince tarte tatin, and if I'm together enough, an overnight in the oven apple dessert.

Sorry, Toby, that was many posts ago... :biggrin:

I was thinking of several varieties of apples for tasting raw. And/or dipped in hot caramel/peanut butter, a lowbrow treat I'd be embarrassed to serve if it weren't so scrumptious.

Overnight in the oven apple dessert? Wow. Tell, please.

Maybe we could score some lardo, for comparison.  Would that be diagonal?

What about schmaltz?

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I was planning to do a pear tarte tatin, quince tarte tatin, and if I'm together enough, an overnight in the oven apple dessert.

Sorry, Toby, that was many posts ago... :biggrin:

I was thinking of several varieties of apples for tasting raw. And/or dipped in hot caramel/peanut butter, a lowbrow treat I'd be embarrassed to serve if it weren't so scrumptious.

Overnight in the oven apple dessert? Wow. Tell, please.

It's the apple gateau on the cover of Anne Willan's From My Chateau Kitchen. I've always wanted to make it, but I've just read the recipe carefully and am having second thoughts. It bakes for 12-14 hours and only feeds 6. Apples are sliced very thinly and arranged flower-like in a souffle dish, in layers interspersed with sprinklings of crushed sugar cubes flavored with orange zest. There are recipes for 2 caramel sauces to serve with it -- a caramel salt butter sauce and a honey caramel sauce. I once baked a New York Times recipe "Forget About It Meringue Torte" -- something that got left overnight in the oven, and a big mishap happened -- I guess the oven never started out hot enough, but when I went to remember it in the morning my kitchen floor was covered with very wet sticky syrup of egg white and sugar. But this sounds different.

Toby, it does sound lovely. Eric Hubert did a somewhat similar dessert at Jean Georges - an apple confit of thin-sliced Granny Smiths, sugar and orange zest, layered in a baking pan and baked at 300 for 6 hours. The recipe is in JG's first cookbook.

Toby, it does sound lovely.  Eric Hubert did a somewhat similar dessert at Jean Georges - an apple confit of thin-sliced Granny Smiths, sugar and orange zest, layered in a baking pan and baked at 300 for 6 hours.   The recipe is in JG's first cookbook.

Cathy, sorry to dissapoint you on the JG apple confit recipe: here is a quote from my earlier post

one day i stumbled on the review of this book on amazon that mentioned the confit disaster and i digged the following article in Time, where "The apple confit may have been a disaster--"I don't know what happened," Vongerichten says sorrowfully" . ( for curious the full text is here).

What about squash? A selection of seasonal roasted squashes perhaps?

I think that sounds great, Liza.

Along with other things, I will bring an assortment of baguettes for the hams and salamis etc.

Shortly, Cathy and I will post the official "who's bringing what" list.

What about squash? A selection of seasonal roasted squashes perhaps?

Yes, Liza, I would particularly like to try some of those cute little ones you see in the market. :angry:

I am looking forward to the official list, because I have not the faintest idea what I offered to contribute.

Okay, I've read through this thread 4-5 hundred times and this is what the list looks like:

1.stefanyb- Polish hams, baguettes

2.Sandra Levine- Dijon Mustards

3.Nina W.- Salamis

4.Nina's Beau-

5.Rachel- Italian cheeses (should be more specific)

6.Jason-

7.Jaybee- Butters

8.Markstevens- Salsas

9.Rosie- Olives

10.Mr. Rosie-

11.Cabrales- Macarons

12.Soba- Olives, other special goodies

13.Wilfrid- Cheddars

14.CathyL- Brownies, apples

15.Helana Sarin- Macarons

16.ahr- Peanut butters

17.DoubleO- Chocolates

18.Liza- Roasted squashes

19.Toby- Tarte tatins

20.Jordyn-

21.Shermar-

22.Shermar's Beau-

YUM!

My 2 cents worth: everyone, Beau or not, should bring something. Things that could be selected are, perhaps: one flavor of jam(would be good with the peaunut butters), imported canned tunas, chopped livers, hummus', babaganoushes(sp), liverwursts, high-end sandwich style whitebreads, pickles ( a particular type), potato salads, high-end potato chips, taco chips for the salsa. Remember, you don't have to bring enough for a meal for 22, just a small sampling.

Next post will discuss beverages, oh, and paper goods.

Anyone with changes should now post them, please.