• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Tasting Party,

stefanyb

Stefany - Maybe I should start a thread that asks, Which eGullet member would you choose to be horizontal with?

I haven't actually met everyone in the flesh, yet, so I'd have to reserve my answer for sometime in the future.

I'd definitely put you in contention, even if we haven't met as yet, if you'd stick to food and drink when you post your wonderful notes on meals and on wine, because my true love is Egullet (don't tell anyone).

I'll bring 4 to 6 bottles of whisky.  And, to hell with the votes on the winner... let's just see who goes horizontal first.  Blotto, that is.  I won't go horizontal any other way.

And at this do, tasting party, there'd better be no more talk of food and going horizontal for any reason other than passing out.  My delicate nature cannot stomach the idea of two people making squelching noises.  Most vile.

"I'd definitely put you in contention, even if we haven't met as yet, if you'd stick to food and drink when you post your wonderful notes on meals and on wine, because my true love is Egullet (don't tell anyone)."

I'm afraid your "true love" has taken some of the fun out it for me. But that would never reflect on my choice for horizontalism. Can I have a tie?

Soba, why not EVOO for marinating the olives? Is it because there's so much citrus and chile? I'd still use EVOO...

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jinmyo,

I prefer to use EVOO on stuff where the flavor of the oil will shine through or enhance what's already there.  I feel that using something like EVOO on a dish where there's lots of things in the background is a waste of a good resource when good quality OO will do just as fine.  For example, I would use EVOO to top off a minestrone invernale (sic) or something like pasta with a sauce of stewed cabbage and garlic.  But something like basic sugo pomodoro (tomato sauce), chicken marengo, or pasta with tuna, capers, lemon and olives, I would use OO because of all the competing elements in the dish.  I hope that explains my philosophy.

IMO, EVOO should be treated just like aceto balsamico tradizionale....not splashed about with abandon.  But I'm in the minority, obviously...   :raz:

Certain posters on this site have passions about French cuisine/culture.  Mine is Italian cuisine, and to a lesser extent, its culture.  Actually, I'm more interested in the history and anthropology of all food, regardless of cuisine or background.  Maybe I should go to grad school for that.   =)

Soba

• 3 months later...

'Bread' and 'mustard' seem too broad to me. I can envision a comparative tasting of Dijons, for example, but there are too many varieties (and uses) of mustard to anoint one jar, or even three, The Best.

It might be fun to do several bread horizontals: baguettes, rye, bagels...

I'm in for brownies, unless Jaybee wants to flip for it.

I assume chocolate would be acceptable, nothing flavored. Maybe by coco content? What about chocolate chips or chocolate covered grahams or pretzels,etc, etc. I got dibs on the pure chocolate, mmmmmm chocolate :rolleyes:

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.