• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Tasting Party,

stefanyb

OK - so we can't bring salami. I could go back to the original thought of strawberry jam, but I'm not very enthusiastic about it. I think we need to get the list of who's bringing what posted and I'll try to think of what would fit in with the current selections.

OK - so we can't bring salami. I could go back to the original thought of strawberry jam, but I'm not very enthusiastic about it. I think we need to get the list of who's bringing what posted and I'll try to think of what would fit in with the current selections.

Rach,

I think that the Arthur Ave idea was great. I bet there's another item that could be acquired there, like mozzarellas or provolones or another type of cured meat. Remember each thing we bring needs other very close comparisons. How about sopresattas or pepperonis?

Let me start the list; I'm bringing pure uncut dark chocolate. I thought I might also bring some dessert wine to match with the chocolate.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

FYI, I just did a big comparative mozzarella tasting from several of the "big guys" in mozzarella-ville. We had a thread on this a while back. They all use commercial curd. Nobody makes it from milk. Not even the Arthur Avenue folk. Disappointing. Fresh mozzarella made in NYC can't compare to bufalo mozarrella, unfortunately. The issue is that fresh mozzarella is made by deli people trying to make cheese, as opposed to cheese people making cheese.

I bought some bufalo mozzarella that's being made in CA, which was pretty darn good.

Anyway, I'd be interested in Rachel's findings.

I'm bringing olives.

There will be a selection of olives, from Kalamata to oil-cured to picholine.

There will also be something more substantial incorporating olives, besides marinated olives. Details to come, probably the day beforehand -- this is subject to market availability.

-----------

Are squash flowers a spring thing or a fall thing? If a spring thing, then that nixes one dish.

thx,

SA

Do they all have to be the same types of cheese? There doesn't seem to be much point in getting two different fresh mozzarellas. So I'll do a more generic Italian Cheese tasting: Provelone, Parmesean, Romano, Aged Mozzarella. Or I could do a more specific one, like several different provelones?

Rachel, I'm having those same discussions with myself about salamis. Should I pick one "nationality" of salami and get different kinds, or similar types of salamis (hard, garlic, pepper, etc...) and get different ethnicities?

What do y'all think?

Wait, do you mean public schools in the British sense or the American sense? Because they have two different meanings, ya know.

My calculus comprehension stopped at the concept of a derivative. Negative limits threw me off and kept on going....

SA

[i passed 4 semesters of calculus and have no recollection of this whatsoever.  in fact, i don't think i remember *any*thing, but i particularly don't remember this.  perhaps i was always lucky enough to have a derivative that existed.

NOW I think I understand! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck

[i passed 4 semesters of calculus and have no recollection of this whatsoever.  in fact, i don't think i remember *any*thing, but i particularly don't remember this.  perhaps i was always lucky enough to have a derivative that existed.

NOW I think I understand! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

and that makes one...