• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Tasting Party,

stefanyb

An interesting meal. :shock:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Should we have some greens?

Only if we have some blacks and tans too. Come to think of it, how about a vertical tasting of dark beers? Irish, German, English, Alsatian, etc. I'm in for butter, so someone else can have that idea. Perhaps 12 bottles of each type for this crowd?

Since Rosie will be bringing olives, I'll probably be doing something more along the lines of "preparations involving olives".

So far the menu looks a little like this:

marinated olives (for the recipe, check out some of the earlier pages where I posted it)

tapenade

spaghetti with sausage, fennel, olives and citrus zest

stewed chicken with olives, preserved lemons and honey

I may revise it again as the date gets closer.

SA

We are rather dessert-heavy, aren't we?  (Not that this is a BAD thing.)

Instead of brownies & apples I could bring a few versions each of baba ghanouj and hummus, with pita for dipping.

I actually think the different apples and dipping sauces is a great idea. Maybe drop the brownies and pick up another savory. Of course, its your choice not mine.

Not that I don't understand the concept of a vertical tasting, Rather I thought people might want to clear their palates with undressed salad between bites of other things or actually have salad after the tasting is completed. But bread is probably sufficient for that.

Seriously, I would like to bring "Greens": Mustard, Turnip, Collard, Kale and possibly Dandelion if I can find them. All prepared identically. I'll also bring samples of the uncooked greens as well.Thoughts?

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck

Not that I don't understand the concept of a vertical tasting, Rather I thought people might want to clear their palates with undressed salad between bites of other things or actually have salad after the tasting is completed.  But bread is probably sufficient for that.

Seriously, I would like to bring "Greens": Mustard, Turnip, Collard, Kale and possibly Dandelion if I can find them.  All prepared identically.  I'll also bring samples of the uncooked greens as well.Thoughts?

Sherm,

Why not bring a few basic vinaigrette's for comparison. I bet there are very basic ones that differ slightly depending on the source of the recipe. (i.e. with lemon juice, without mustard, proportion of oil to vinegar etc.)

I think the salad idea is wonderful!

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the "greens" idea. It's the perfect time of year(greens are harvested after the first frost). By next week the best examples of everything should be in markets. Also in anticipation of holiday meals, tasting an assortment of greens might encourage people to use them as "sides". I'm sure the Pilgrims probably had them on the table since they were a part of the Native American diet. They are, of course, traditional in Southern, African and Caribbean cuisines. It took me so long to figure out what to do for this get together, can I do it pleeeze, pleeeze? :smile:

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck

Okay, the address and directions are coming forthwith.

DRINKS: Since no one could come up with any better solution, lets just say, everyone bring a bottle(s) of whatever they would like to drink, be it wine, beer or other.

Okay, I've read through this thread 4-5 hundred times and this is what the list looks like:

1.stefanyb-          Polish hams, baguettes

2.Sandra Levine-    Dijon Mustards

3.Nina W.-            Salamis

4.Nina's Beau-

5.Rachel-            Italian cheeses (should be more specific)

6.Jason-

7.Jaybee-            Butters

8.Markstevens-    Salsas

9.Rosie-              Olives

10.Mr. Rosie-

11.Cabrales-          Macarons

12.Soba-              Olives, other special goodies

13.Wilfrid-            Cheddars

14.CathyL-            Brownies, apples

15.Helana Sarin-    Macarons

16.ahr-                Peanut butters

17.DoubleO-          Chocolates

18.Liza-                Roasted squashes

19.Toby-              Tarte tatins

20.Jordyn-

21.Shermar-

22.Shermar's Beau-

YUM!

My 2 cents worth:  everyone, Beau or not, should bring something.  Things that could be selected are, perhaps: one flavor of jam(would be good with the peaunut butters),  imported canned tunas, chopped livers, hummus', babaganoushes(sp), liverwursts, high-end sandwich style whitebreads, pickles ( a particular type), potato salads, high-end potato chips, taco chips for the salsa.  Remember, you don't have to bring enough for a meal for 22, just a small sampling.

Next post will discuss beverages, oh, and paper goods.

Anyone with changes should now post them, please.

There have been some changes but this is basically the list.

We have some additional items people have committed to. Shermar is doing a greens tasting, Cathy L isn't doing brownies but, if memory serves, another type of cheese and Nina's Beau is bringing the paper goods. Please, anybody correct me if there is need.

I notice that smoked fish, one of the basic food groups, isn't represented. I'll bring smoked salmon, and time permitting I'll hot-smoke some too. So no brownies, but yes apples.

We're also light on bread and/or crackers for all the cheeses...