• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My white chocolate tastes very milky

mmoorree

Hello good people. I made white chocolate by following this formula- cocoa butter 35%, whole milk powder 35% (fat content 25%) and 30% sugar.

It tastes extremely milky. Can I save this batch? Its a lot of chocolate. 😥

What about adding powdered vanilla (like Valrhona's Waina) and/or powdered caramel (like Cacao Barry's Zéphyr Caramel)?  Interesting for your purposes, Valrhona states that, besides vanilla, Waina has notes of milk and cream.  And a new line at Felchlin emphasizes the taste of milk (in this case, from cows in the Swiss Alps!).

• Like 1

Your sugar is on the low side compared to many white chocolates so you could certainly add more. 

Here's the breakdown for Felchlin whites:

edelweiss 36% - 36% cacao fat, 4.7% milk fat, 49.3% sugar (this is what  use, it is sweet but not the sweetest)

mont blanc 31% - 31.2 % cacao fat, 3.6% milk fat, 58% sugar

sao palme 30% - 30.9% cacao fat. 4.2% milk fat, 58.4% sugar

opus blanc 35% - 35.3% cacao fat, 8.1% milk fat, 46.8% sugar   (This is their 'grand cru' white with UNESCO biosphere Swiss meadow milk.)

I agree with adding vanilla. 

If you want to try caramelizing some a la Valrhona Dulcey, bake it in a low-ish oven stirring occasionally until it reaches your desired shade. 

• Like 1