• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stock in a Pressure Cooker

jackal10

Kuhn-Rikon doesn't operate at 1 bar (1 bar = 14.503 psi, usually rounded up to 15psi) as some pressure cookers do.

The second ring doesn't indicate the maximum pressure possible in a KR; they'll go up to 1.2 bar before they start venting. The rings are just there to help you estimate the pressure you've achieved.

The second ring doesn't indicate the maximum pressure possible in a KR; they'll go up to 1.2 bar before they start venting. The rings are just there to help you estimate the pressure you've achieved.

The spring type of pressure indicator can be highly inaccurate.

Comparing tastes between two PCs without check temperature is meaningless.

As far as the food is concerned, it is all about temperature. You can get a pretty good idea as to what temperature your PC can achieve based on the test I suggested above.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

Lately when making my PC chicken stock--  I have been adding less water, maybe a couple inches below the top of the bones and cooking at 15psi for 1.5 hrs.  No Jiggle on the top

Best stock i made in awhile--I also do reduce

Its good to have Morels

Lately when making my PC chicken stock--  I have been adding less water, maybe a couple inches below the top of the bones and cooking at 15psi for 1.5 hrs.  No Jiggle on the top

Best stock i made in awhile--I also do reduce

May  I suggest you to give this a try just for fun?

First - pressure cook without any water, that's right, NO WATER. You will get a 1/2 cup to a cup of pure pure concentrated liquid gold. Save this for special uses.

Second - Then add water to make your regular stock. 

Third - Use the leftovers from the second step, use much less water and PC the third time. You will get some stock with not much taste, Use it for the second step the next time you make stock. Don't bother with this step if you think it's too much trouble.

dcarch

• Like 1

dcarch: fascinating. This is of course what all the manuals warn us not to do. The idea is that there is enough liquid in the bones and meat that extra is not needed?

I usually pressure cooker my chicken and beef stocks for 45 minutes at high pressure. I can really get away with that with no added liquid?

I make gigantic batches of stock in my pressure canner.  It has a jiggle-weight pressure regulator (which you really want to have for canning) , but when I am making stock I simply set three quarters on top of the weight and regulate the heat source to keep it at 15 PSI on the pressure gauge.

--

dcarch: fascinating. This is of course what all the manuals warn us not to do. The idea is that there is enough liquid in the bones and meat that extra is not needed?

I usually pressure cooker my chicken and beef stocks for 45 minutes at high pressure. I can really get away with that with no added liquid?

First, I did a test once. I had a lot of beef and pork bones. I scraped off all the meat from the bones, scooped out the marrow. I made stock with just pure bones. The stock had no flavor. Basically I don't think bones contribute anything to flavor. It's the meat, and marrow. 

When you PC "bones" without water, you get very nice concentrated "stock" from condensation and meat shrinkage. Meat shrinks 30% to 40% under high heat.

How much concentrated stock you can get out with no water depend on how much leftover meat on the bones.

Again, I have to be clear. When I PC to make stock, there is plenty of water in the cooker. I use a smaller pot inside the cooker to really pressure steam the bones. I get fairly clear stock this way. 

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

I PC chicken stock fairly regular, and Got to notice that my liquid level did increase, on pressure cooking chicken caracasses.  Thats why i reduced the level of my water.  So no doubt i would get dcarch's golden juice w/o water.

The next double carcass I get, I plan to try it. 

Its good to have Morels

I'm inclined to get the 10qt. Fagor duo and see how it goes. The KR looks like a better thing but prices must have shot up recently. The 12 quart literally costs 3 times as much.

I have the Fagor 4 and 8 quart 2-1 Splendid model. I wanted the KR, but I couldn't justify the cost, especially since I didnt know if I'd be using a PC much.

That said, I've been very happy with the Fagor set. One day I may get a KR, but it will be after my Fagor breaks, and if I find one on sale. I just can't justify the huge cost with minimal performance differences. 

EDIT: I just checked, and the price on Amazon for my set is up 50% ($99 to $149) from when I bought it in 2012. Guess everything is more expensive these days

Edited by lordratner (log)

First - pressure cook without any water, that's right, NO WATER. You will get a 1/2 cup to a cup of pure pure concentrated liquid gold. Save this for special uses.

Third - Use the leftovers from the second step, use much less water and PC the third time. You will get some stock with not much taste, Use it for the second step the next time you make stock. Don't bother with this step if you think it's too much trouble.

dcarch

Made the no water stock this weekend--I have a 6 Qt KR

I had two left-over Costco chicken Carasses,  added the usual stuff .

Sometimes I will do an extra roast of all the stuff. This was a trial run. So I just put it all in the pot.

Sealed, ran the pot, 45Mins @15 psi--now I jiggled the pot occasionally,  just at first --worried that i might get some early burning of the bones,  w/o water--- I didnt do a full blast fire burn either.  Cooled and strained

Yep.. got about 1/2 C--Immediatley on draining of the juice it..almost instantly congealed.  It tasted like a killer gravy w/o adding flour.  Really coated the lips too.

I did a second stock also..  Since all the bones had kinda broke up..I added about a pint of water or half way up the bone mass.  I didnt add any additioanl veg.

Man the turned out pretty good..one thing I noticed is the deep righer color I got in the second batch.

Pretty cool--I'm going to add that to my next batch of regular stock

Thanks

I used a bit of the first batch  - with my morel cream sauce

Its good to have Morels

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, TabiHodges said:

Hi!

The steam leaks around the lid of my Pressure Cooker and prevents the pressure from building up which hampers the cooking process.

What I do about this?

Sounds like you probably need to replace the seal. They do wear out over time. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

12 hours ago, TabiHodges said:

Hi!

The steam leaks around the lid of my Pressure Cooker and prevents the pressure from building up which hampers the cooking process.

What I do about this?

My pressure cooker hasn't sealed very easily from day one as it comes to pressure. Things I have found that help are 1): Bring it up to pressure as fast as possible. 2): Push down on lid when it comes to a boil and cajole it into sealing. 3) sometimes put a bit of oil on the seal.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 22/04/2014 at 2:16 AM, dcarch said:

dcarch

A thought on this - for the first step, have you tried putting a cup or two of water inside a heat safe container inside the PC? The idea would be that the water boils, builds pressure, you get the liquid gold but it doesn't dilute with the water (which is ring fenced inside the heat safe inside the PC).

I might give this a go tomorrow and report back unless this has been tried (And has been proven useful or not previously).

Thanks,

D

1 hour ago, davo said:

A thought on this - for the first step, have you tried putting a cup or two of water inside a heat safe container inside the PC? The idea would be that the water boils, builds pressure, you get the liquid gold but it doesn't dilute with the water (which is ring fenced inside the heat safe inside the PC).

I might give this a go tomorrow and report back unless this has been tried (And has been proven useful or not previously).

Thanks,

D

Actually, my method involves pressure steaming. The meat/bones are in a smaller pot inside the pressure cooker, to be pressure steamed.

You can damage the PC if you cook without water.

dcarch

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

Actually, my method involves pressure steaming. The meat/bones are in a smaller pot inside the pressure cooker, to be pressure steamed.

You can damage the PC if you cook without water.

dcarch

That makes more sense - that wasn't clear to me from the original post.

• 7 months later...

In a few hours I had expected delivery of three pounds of oxtail, mainly for making the stock for umamimart curry:

https://umamimart.com/blogs/main/japanese-curry-scratch?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=9/7_JapaneseCurryRecipe

Sadly I was just notified by amazon the oxen are not available.  Amazon will substitute something else if applicable.  I shudder to think what.  Anyhow, if I am to prepare a stock I wondered if the pressure cooker is still the method of choice?  The umamimart recipe calls for a slow cooker going for two days.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou