• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sonoma Grill,  East Rutherford

ngatti

The night had an entirely different tone shortly after I spilled the cream at the bar at Sonoma Gill...that is when we shifted gears....would everyone agree?

Yes. That is when the transformation from mild mannered accountant to "The Rock" began.

I did a tour of Alcatraz when I was 12. It smelled funny.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Delightful evening with several friends which started at Park & Orchard in East Rutherford and moved on to the big time at Sonoma Grill. Since they've already identified themeselves in another thread, I'll continue with that.

Pleasant greeting, shown immediately to our table. The large, airy room was about 1/2 filled (5-6 out of 12 tables) by 730. We were surprised and amazed by a very thoughtful gift of Mount Veeder Cab Sauv '99 from Nick Gatti of the Alpine Country Club (absolutely classy guy) which was presented on our arrival.

The artisanal cheese platters are offered as a 3 cheese ($7), 5 ($11) or 7 ($15). Cheeses were orered from a list mounted on a cheese board. Choices included a camembert, Gruyere, Asiago, manchevre, another chevre, and a grava podano. Served artfully on a platter with red grapes, nuts, and dry parsley dusting.

Specials are printed with prices on a small page inserted into a picture frame. These included copper river salmon, Kansas City lamb chops, a daily risotto (grava podano, marscapone, asiago, gorgonzola). There was a spaetzle saute (spaetzle, asparagus, fava beans, shitake mushrooms) which we all agreed looked interesting.

Lreda ordered the appetizers for the group. They included two cheese platters, crab louis, the nori roll tempura, the semolina calamari, and the calamari puffs in a tortilla bowl. By this time we were into a second bottle of the Mount Veeder. There much was discussion about how the wine brought out highlights in the cheeses at room temperature, comparison of one with the other. I was impressed with the granta podano, and liked the others.

The nori roll was outstanding. Multiple textures rolled about a tiny asparagus stem. The crab louis was tasty, although I have just returned from a trip into North Carolina, so my crab interest is low right now. The calamari was attractively plated, filling a tortilla basket, a tangy chipotle dipping sauce was on the side.

Three people ordered the KC Lamb chops ($27) which were described as gamier than NZ products. They were rubbed with a chipotle and herbal (rosemary?) coating, grilled to desired doneness. Large pieces, probably four inches thick. I tasted some of Dee's and enjoyed it immensely, rare as requested. Pete and Rock both agreed theirs were delightful.

During dinner we converted to Lreda's flight of Jarvis Cab Sauv. He opened with a 94, which I found to be very fragrant following a brief decant. I had saved a piece of the asiago, which took on a different dimension with the Jarvis than it had with the Mount Veeder

I had the scallops (U-10) about an inch thick, cooked perfectly (for me) with a luminescent center and slightly crisp sear. Dusted with a jalapeno type spice, served over torn artichoke hearts, cut fingerlings, and a spicy fish broth. It was a very generous serving, perhaps 7. Tommy had the veal chop, which I understand was excellent. He chased of interlopers with a wicked knife action, although he did share some of his spaetzle saute, which was served with the veal. I don't recall what Lreda had, I hope he will describe it. By the time we began the dinner course, about 9 pm, the restaurant was almost empty.

The second Jarvis ('92) emerged during dinner. It was a very powerful wine, and had much more assertiveness, I thought, than the '94. I was impressed with how different it tasted with my scallops and with Dee's lamb. It went exceptionally well with lamb.

We retired to the bar area for coffee, drinks and the Devils game, which let the staff complete the clearing of the main room. By this time (10pm) the restaurant was empty except for us, the staff, and a couple vigorously making out in the small side room. It was heart warming to see an older couple getting it on like kids.

We did not have desserts, but were impressed to see pastry chef Carlos Rivera named on his page of desserts.

Damage for the whole event was about $600, I believe, helped by the generous gift from Nick Gatti and the very thoughtful offering of wines from Lreda. If I owe anybody any money, please let me know.

I know I left off much of the evening, please fill in, correct, change, etc.

On a future visit, I'd be delighted to try to the copper river salmon, which typically has a short duration of 3-4weeks.

Service was superb, we had several people regularly watching the table. Much "may I" and monitoring. They even brought in the Devils score on a regular basis.

Wine Service was very attentive. The house was unstinting is its use of huge wine glasses, which I found very thoughtful in light of their gracious allowance for BYO in our case. These were good glasses, hand washed, and they put 18 glasses on the table during the night.

Call and confirm. The restaurant called to confirm our reservations for Thursday evening.

Although there were indications that our meal was not an entirely typical meal, I noticed the service and plating provided to other patrons was similar to ours. Their wines were decanted, large glasses were used, etc.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I opened a new thread with the review.

I know I left lots of stuff out, jump in and add!

Edit: Threads merged.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Served artfully on a platter with red grapes, nuts, and dry parsley dusting.

don't forget about the orange things.

my veal chop was quite nice. nicely marked from the grill. the brandy peppercorn sauce wasn't overly sweet, as they sometimes are. it did seem assertively salty, but it was too my liking.

the spaetzle seemed, by comparison, a bit bland. the difference in salt levels, i think, was too great. spaetzle was lost on the plate, flavorwise.

while i appreciate nice big glasses, i'm not a fan of those glasses that they brought out. i don't know what they're called, but they have a large flanged rim. the wine has a tendency to "rush" towards your mouth when you drink from those things. however, they were delightfully large, and made smelling, swirling, and enjoying the wines a pleasure.

the bill, i think was 500 and not 600.

service was very very good. professional, but relaxed.

Edited by tommy (log)

I'm still laughing this morning at the Jeckyl & Hyde act The Rock pulled as soon as the cream spillled and the buca hit his throat.

Must have been the night air.

Tommy, love the avator.

Lou

Had a great time last night. Now on to new and better things. How about lunch in the city? Anyone up for that? Anyone that wants to join us are obviously welcome. By the way, anyone out there a bailbondman? If not I have a AAA card. Not to be confused with a AA card.

Just wanted to say thanks again to Nick Gatti for the wine and to Lou for bringing 2 bottles from his cellar. The dinner was terrific.

I would also like to thank Nick for the warm gesture. Perhaps we can get him out from behind the stoves one evening.

Lou

I will post more over the weekend on the meal/restaurant as well as my much anticipated dinner tonight at An American Grill...I did want to thank Tommy, Lou, Pete, Paul and Dee for a very enjoyable evening and also send a great thanks to Chef Nick for the very generous gesture! Furthermore, life is short - why not live it - I just hope my antics don't offend anyone. Again it was a great time! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Edited by RockADS21 (log)

A.D.S.

I hadn't noticed this thread before, but since it was called to my attention, I'm here.

The biscotti provided with the coffee was a bit dry. It's entirely possible that the Rock's throat may have been slightly abraded before the sambuca went down.

Me? I was just watching the couple making out at Sonoma Grill. It's been a while since I've seen that much energetic activity. Certainly more than most WWE ventures.

rancho gordo

Glad you all enjoyed one of my favorite places.

Hope this visiit and thread will encourage others to visit.

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Finally after the weekend I am getting around to adding my thoughts on the evening/dinner at Sonoma Grill. We hit a home run with the pairing of the Mout Veeder Cab(again thanks to chef Nick) and the various cheese selections. I personally was most fond of the goat cheese and the gruyere. I had already commented in an earlier post from my lunch here a few weeks back, and again was very impressed with the Crab Louis salad which was one of the appetizers that we shared. I found it to have just the right texture of seasoning to accompany the generous portions of lump meat, and is complimented nicely by the fruity dreesed arugula. The nori tempura roll was also full of flavor. I didn't however find anything extraordinary about the calamari. The mild jalepeno jelly spread served with the bread however is impressive. I didn't try the other two spreds(herb butter and olive oil I believe nor do I recall much discussion of them).

As my entree I had the lamb chops from the specials menu. The portion was more than adequate and the meat was very tender and enhanced by an herbal rub that was just enough to give the meat a perfect amount of extra flavor. The tsatszicki sauce(completely butchered spelling by me :biggrin:...I am trying to say the yogurt sauce that is common in gyros... :blink: ) was an outstanding and very different compliment to the dish. I enjoyed the wine brought by chef Lou('94 and '92 Jarvis cab.) with the entree and it made for another outstanding pairing. I am not sure if it was the additional aging or just the difference in the grape in the two years but I found the '92 to be much more earthy and bold...just a great selection!(thanks again Lou).

The service was in my opinion outstanding all night - very courteous, knowledgeable and attentive...wine glasses never ran dry.

In summary - an excellent meal at a very good place with top notch companions...thanks again to all for an enjoyable evening - looking forward to next time...and Sonoma Grill is certainly a place I would highly recommend to all to try.

Edited by RockADS21 (log)

A.D.S.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Sonoma Grill has sold their liquor license to a Chili's franchise. They are now BYOB. Yea!! I went a few months ago to dinner here..they are in the entertainment book. Odd. I enjoyed it very much. I had seared Tuna over baby bok choy in a sauce I don't remember but I liked it a lot. Tom had chicken (as usual), and it was just okay. Chicken dishes in better restaurants are always just ok. Why is that??

• 3 months later...
Sonoma Grill has closed their doors.  Drove by yesterday and they have a for sale sign up.  Another one bites the dust.

I am saddened -- as a long time customer and friend to many who have worked there.

Viejo

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).