• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer Party

handmc

In the last 4 years I have done a meat feast, madi gras, luau and a low country boil. I have been kicking around a Mexican themes, Italian, Middle Eastern and but for a big rockin party I keep coming back to another luau.

I hate to repeat myself but I have but a primitive stove and oven and all the rest must be accomplished outside on the grills or in the smoker. This really is not an impediment to the preparation however hot holding and keeping things cold is a challenge because of the distance between the fridge and the pool/field.

A difference this year is I will have a China Box so a whole pig will be a part of the festivities

I usually serve 60-80 people.

The luau was a big hit and a heck of a lot of fun.

I'm game to do something different but I am a little short on ideas. The only requirement is to be festive and to inspire lots of silly behavior...I have to blend in :cool:

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

How about a "Tomato Bread Salad with Herbs"? It's not exactly luau material but it is "Summery".

It would feature tomatoes (which should be plentiful in the summer) and could be served at room temperature (don't refrigerate tomatoes!). Add the bread 15 minutes before serving and it's done.

You could also add some cheese (mozzarella, feta or goat cheese) to the salad for that extra something special.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

How about a North African theme?

You can serve hashish brownies and dress up as a belly dancer to encourage silly behaviour. :biggrin:

It's great party food, alot of the dishes can be made ahead and reheated or just served room temp. I don't think I have ever met anyone who did not like good North African food. The flavors can sound exotic but it's very appealing to most people.

How about going the same direction, but veering down under?

When I went to New Zealand about 10 years ago, we went to a Maori Meeting House and they did a dinner and show thing for us. It was very luau-ish in that there was the roast pig in a pit and the Maori culture is somewhat Polynesian-ish to us ignorant Americans - only much more exotic and unusual than the typical Hawaiian thing we've all seen.

The men did awesome Maori war chants which involve a lot of stomping, chanting and grimacing and the women did some kind of dance with these little spinning balls. Unfortunately, I really don't remember the food that much, I was much more involved in the show.

However, since Lord of the Rings, New Zealand is very hot right now so there is probably lots of information available about the Maoris, their culture and food out on the Internet!

The quickest possible googling gave me these links - I'm sure with a little more time you could find much better:

http://www.maorifood.com/

http://www.newzealand.com/travel/media/sto..._storyangle.cfm

http://www.willowbank.co.nz/kotane/experience.asp

Bottom line - you get a similar feel, but more exotic with some different props - kiwi birds instead of pineapples, etc.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

It is also a cuban thing to cook a pig in a pit. It is a big thing on Christmas Eve, but that doesn't matter. YOu could do an assortment of rice and beans, plantains, yuca con mojo, there is a lot of good cuban sides. All washed down with refreshing mojitos

People of Roman Catholic background in India also cook an entire roast pig for special occasions like weddings and have it stuffed with a stuffing made out of bread, nuts, raisins, cilantro and lime juice. The most sought after part is the crispy skin and is a hit with little kids!!

Settling for theme you can try an Indian party complete with tandoori specialities like tandoori chicken and kebabs made on your BBQ and fresh salads like raita ( diced cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and cilantro in yogurt) or a fave salad my mum makes with cabbage, fresh coconut, lemon juice and cilantro which would help balance out the heat of the meal.

Happy partying! :smile:

Wow! What a response. North Africa or New Zeland? I love throwing big parties and cooking the food for the luau was a blast. All sorts of new tastes. I'll post the menu later it is on my computer at home.

Please keep posting ideas. Once I decide I'll figure out a menu, cover sourcing and cost then prep and party pictures. This will be Huge fun.

The links on New Zeland are enticing, grass skirts, face paint, tribal dancing ...

--------------------

Um...excuse me. North Africa.

You could even post in the Middle East Africa forum for lots of 'expert' advice. Tell all your friends that you've been hobnobbing with foremost experts. :biggrin:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Here is a copy of the menu from the luau I threw in 2004. Like I said it was fun to make. Sourcing wasn't really a big issue the web made it a snap. I even purchased orchid leis which where flown in fresh. They were a huge hit with both the men and women. The kids liked them too but they got plastic they were tearing around too much the leis would not have lasted a second!

MENU

Apps:

Hawaiian Ribs

Jamaican Ribs ( I know not authentic but I would be shot if I did not serve them

at my parties.)

Saffron Clams ( I know not authentic but I would be shot if I did not serve them

at my parties.)

BBQ Shrimp wedges w/mango,papaya,pineapple chutney.

Paper Chicken

Meatballs (these where in a Ponzu sauce with sesame seeds and sesame oil)

THE MAIN EVENT

Macadamia nut crumb crusted, stuffed pork loin w/ up country bean sauce

Apple wood Smoked Salmon Lomi Lomi with Goma (black sesame seeds) and

Cilantro oil ( I know you don't smoke Lomi Lomi is just put it in the smoker so it

would pick up some smokiness; it was still raw)

Chicken Hekka

Pulled smoked pork Kalua

Teriyaki BBQ Brisket

ON THE SIDE:

Poi (flown in from the island)

Blue Sweet Potato w/coconut cream (flown in from the island)

Bok Choy Salad

Cole Slaw

Baked Beans

Rice w/ coconut milk and pink beans

Sticky Rice (flown in from the island)

GROWN UP DRINKS

OVER THE RAINBOW PUNCH

FLYING FISH FARMHOUSE ALE

Edited by handmc (log)

--------------------

The only requirement is to be festive and to inspire lots of silly behavior...I have to blend in :cool:

A few more comments on the New Zealand Maori idea to entice you. You asked for silliness......

Here's what you do: go to this link and watch the Haka (Maori war chant) they perform

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/r...000/2403885.stm

Then, once you've got the idea (I think maybe you can even order video tapes that will teach you Hakas), you teach everyone the Haka at the party. Definitely lots of silliness and laughter will ensue! The Hakas are all about overexaggerated motions - stomping, gesturing, and grimacing - sticking your tongue out all the way with your eyes all wide, etc. Trust me, it's fun and way silly.

And, it really works too! Get you all fired up, as it was meant to do when they went to war. Y'all will be all jazzed up and ready to party after the Party Haka.

Another tidbit that might be just some atmosphere enhancers for you. When we went to the Meeting House, they explained that the House represents the spirit of the ancestors - the peak of the roof symbolizes the spine, the windows are the eyes, and the door is the mouth. They had cool totems (don't know if they call them that or not, though) carved into the support poles. It was all very energizing, perfect for a party!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Or how about getting some really big fat straws (I think I've seen some at party stores), seal one end somehow and then fill with soup. Not really *on* a stick but *in* a stick - pretty close!

We've done a fajita BBQ with great success, but that doesn't really address your silliness requirement. However, this might....

We attended a fundraiser last September that was themed "Margaritaville". I'm not a big Jimmy Buffet fan, but the theme sure did lend itself to plenty of fun and silliness. Sort of beachy, tropical theme - a bit like a luau.

Dress was casual and many people got quite creative - creating their own parrot-head hats, etc. The music was upbeat and fun, margaritas and Coronas were the main beverages, along with some sort of rum punch thing.

Food - well, cheeseburgers would be the obvious choice, but I think they served some kind of pork.

Hmmm....I suppose this theme is fun, but may be lacking as far as getting creative with the food? A pig would certainly fit in nicely, though.

Sounds like you put on quite a party - I'm sure it will be great, whatever you decide!

Mexicans dig pits and bury things, too. Most typically, cow's heads for barbacoa.

Mexican would work well for you because there's lots of good music, dancing, decorations, food, and general silliness. If I were going to do it, I'd also make a sturdy 'pinata'- style burro that people could sit on. I'd get a couple of sombreros embroidered with "Mexico" and a few serapes and a polaroid camera for everyone to take photos.

And don't forget to make those cutout paper squares that flutter from strings over all true Mexican celebratory events.

Here are photos from someone else that threw a grand Fiesta.

Mexican party with barbacoa pit.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks for the input guys. Great ideas all around.

--------------------

The magic word: paella.

Every summer a neighbour and I hold a paella party in my backyard. We bought a 31-inch paella pan and, after we almost burned down the 'hood the first year, a paella propane ring. We prepare food for 40 people and when it's ready everyone grabs a plate and serves themselves from the pan. We tell everyone to BYOB and bring a bottle of red for the sangria bowl which my wife keeps topped up with brandied fruit, etc. The party has proved such a success that friends now arrange their summer vacations around it. And as for the paella recipe, we played with a few but the one that serves as the basis of our dish is from (wait for it....) Martha Stewart.

Good fun, especially on a warm summer night.

Paul B

Hey, don't forget to let us know what you decide on and post some pictures of the end result!

I was over in Greece with the wife and we went to a cook out of sorts. They had among other things whole lamb on a spit roasting with ton's of rosemary. You could try the lamb in the "box" instead of a pig and do a Greek Mediterranean theme.

The Greeks (out side the tourist trade) were some of the nicest folks we've met on any of our travels. Their taxi drivers should be shot on sight.

Soup

I was inspired by the Mayhaw Man's recent journal of his party.

Looking at all the wonderful pictures of the food I remembered how much fun I had doing a Madi Gras party.

I have decided I must do a Madi Gras party again..

This time with pictures!

Let the good times roll.

Stay tuned and Yes there will be turduckhen.

--------------------