• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Family Heirloom Kitchen Items

Chris Amirault

That is a lovely color. Fascinating how Le Cruset developed their colors.

The medium blue was originally a special order by Elizabeth David who wanted the same color as that on the package of her favorite cigarettes - Gitane. For years, the only place one could get the color was in her kitchenware store in London, then they began selling it in the US and it was very popular.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

One of the only other things I have is Nana's tool for folding in egg whites. It's sort of like a whisk, but shaped differently. There's an oval ring of heavy gauge wire, crossed by wavy, coiled, thinner wires. Hmm. I can see I'm going to have to take a picture of this.

My mom has most of the other stuff, as well as my great-grandmother's cast iron skillet.

Those whisks were popular in the 20s and 30s. Egg whites were whipped in a shallow bowl, sort of like a soup bowl, so the whisk was the perfect shape.

A lot of those whisks were made by travelling tinkers and also by the gypsies who used to travel around in the south and midwest. The ones that visited my grandfather's farm when I was a child were allowed to camp next to one of the barns and my grandpa always took their "king" a ham and a side of bacon, some cornmeal and other stuff. He always had things that needed fixing by them and treated them with respect. They never stole anything from our place but had a bad reputation at other farms. They would make wood handles for kitchen pots, make dippers for water out of gourds and carved clothespins from wood. They also made rolling pins and I have one.

OT note... My first pony came from the gypsies. My grandpa paid for it with a gold coin. I thought that was so cool....

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andiesenji, what a font of information you are! I'll have to research Elizabeth David.........and also for how many years 'medium blue" was used by le Cruset!

I also have a cut glass vinegar cruet (I have posted elsewhere that vinegar was considered a fifth food group by my family), which belonged to my great-great grandmother and was used for the last five generations......in the same village!

A spice rack and their pottery containers my paternal Grandmother used.

Muffin tins, cake tins and cookie cutters from my Gram and her mother.......also some heavy wooden spoons.

Damask linens and monogrammed silver from great-great grandmother's wedding gifts.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Le Creuset the shade of a pack of Gitanes. Glass knives. Not only is this thread moving and personal, it's a treasure trove of arcana. Thank you all.

Happily, my mother is still buying upscale kitchen equipment, antique sterling and cooking up a storm. The two hundred year old Blue Willow, the sardine caskets, the pre-revolution silver and cloisonne Russian snifters will come to me "When I don't need it anymore." Trust me, I can wait forever.

One of the only other things I have is Nana's tool for folding in egg whites. It's sort of like a whisk, but shaped differently. There's an oval ring of heavy gauge wire, crossed by wavy, coiled, thinner wires. Hmm. I can see I'm going to have to take a picture of this.
Actually, I don't need a picture. I have it from my Nonna-in-law's kit. I think she used it for removing cannoli shells from the fryer. So do I.

I do have eight lovely teacups, thin and translucent as a sliver of alabaster-- Shelley, Royal Crown Derby, Royal Doulton. In Canada in the fifties I guess a pretty teacup was a standard shower gift, or bridge party prize. Mummy had dozens of teacups and begged me to clear up some cabinet space. Oh, tea does taste better from a thin, delicate cup.

I use my late, beloved mother-in-laws's Revere double boiler with the steamer insert three times a week, minimum. and think of her noble loving life every time I steam some rice.

My great-aunt Chi was a Southern Ontario bluestocking who went to high school with Robertson Davies and "Kenny" Galbraith. She met her husband, Arnold Parrote (Uncle Polly) Cramp in a munitions factory in Drummondville Quebec in 1917. Polly was a Yankee mechanical engineer (later chief engineer for the Hoover Dam,) and his imposing mother gave Chi six dozen two- foot square double damask napkins. I have twelve of them, and ninety years on I use them every Thanksgiving.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I haven't been able to find the green glass knife. That was my great grandmother's favorite for slicing steamed puddings or some of the stickier cakes at teatime. It is smaller and thinner than the others. She had such delicate hands and I can still recall her slicing into a cake with that knife so the slice would fall onto the silver server to be transferred to a plate that held a little paper doily.

This thread has brought back so many memories. Thanks for starting it.

The biggest one was used in the kitchen to slice cucumbers extremely thin for cucumber sandwiches, they were so thin they were practically transparent.

The smallest one shown in the photo above was always on the fruit tray on the sideboard.

The one in the middle came from my dad's mother, I don't know if she ever used it. I didn't spend as much time in the kitchen when I visited their place because her kitchen help didn't like kids underfoot.

Until you mentioned work being done by traveling tinkers, I had forgotten the little battered top-half-of-a-double-boiler with its little metal elbows for handles, given me by the daughter of a childhood next-door neighbor. It has a tiny washer-arrangement in one spot, inside and out, with a wee smitch of cracked black rubber beneath each. EVERYTHING was re-used, repaired, re-modeled in her lifetime, I suppose, mostly by the traveling folks with the big old panelwagons (descendants of those creaky wagons with all sorts of metal utensils swinging clank-in-the-wind on the outside).

The tinkers came through town every year in Spring, and ladies (or their kitchen help) came out to meet them, bearing their broken or dented items, or great sheaves of knives and scissors for the attention of the wizened little gnome manning the spinning sharpening stone. The men would fix or polish or sharpen, whilst the women of the group shopped in the little stores on Main Street. The children were interesting and were welcomed onto our swingsets and sandboxes, and later on in life, I remember a quite dashing young man in an embroidered vest. I wonder how many of us town girls dreamt of that gleaming smile and cascade of dark hair.

But the neighbor's little pot was used exclusively for making good ole 40-weight Mississippi Iced Tea. She would put the big white "kittle" on the burner, toss a good handful of Lipton leaves into the small pan with a mountain of sugar, and then pour on the boiling water. (Her borrowing of a great quantity of tea from my Mother and paying it back by putting a box into Mother's basket whilst they were in Kroger--that's another story).

The tea "steeped" the required time, was strained into a pitcher of ice and water, thence poured over more ice in big clunky goblets too heavy and round for my hands. And she put LEMON in it. Nowhere in my house was ever a lemon for tea; my Mother shuddered at the thought of any kind of sweetener approaching her tea, thence lemon was deemed unnecessary, save for the odd icebox pie, to take "the fish smell" off your hands and kitchen utensils, and perhaps a hair-rinse now and again.

Mrs. P's tea was nectar for whatever gods graced that hot, steamy Delta we lived in. It was almost syrupy-sweet, extra-flavorful from the unaccustomed lemon, and just the best thing this side of a cherry Coke at the local drugstore. I would lift my half-full goblet, swig it down, then wipe my lips of all traces, fearful that my clean-fanatic Mother would know that I had been sipping something made by a woman she considered just this side of "trashy in her ways." Not in a moral way, but in housekeeping and yard-tending.

And I did love that tea, and so inherited the little pot when Mrs. P. broke up housekeeping to move in with her daughter. The little round silver discs will spin on the wee knob-ended pin which keeps them captive, the memories flood in, and the little pan is never used except for remembering.

Edited by racheld (log)

Some family kitchen items apparently have a great deal of value.

Griswold cast iron skillet with lid

It made me go look at my skillets with lids.

Griswold is the more famous name in cast iron and some of their pieces were only made for a brief time or the design changed after a year or so and these pieces that were only on the market for a brief time are quite pricy.

I have a lot of Griswold because several of the older members of my family wanted more "modern" cookware back in the 60s and gave me their old cast iron.

The most unusual Griswold piece I have is a rendering pot with a screw plug down near the bottom for drawing off the liquid fat. It is so big I don't have room for it in the house so it is in my storage building in an oiled canvas bag to protect it from rust. It comes with a folding iron tripod to hold it over the fire and that too is an odd sort of thing and I have never seen another.

When "Cast Iron Jack" was still exhibiting at the Rose Bowl swap meet, back in the early 80s, I took the pot up for him to see (I had a pickup truck at the time and a strong helper) and he said he had never seen one but would be happy to take it off my hands if I ever decided to sell it.

I think it was already on the farm when my grandfather purchased it in 1919.

It is possible that many of these were left outside to rust when people stopped rendering their own lard or suet or tallow and they gradually fell apart. What makes it so unique is the removable plug near the bottom. It looks just like the oil plug that were seen on oil pans back in the 1930s, with an "eye" through which a steel rod could be threaded so the plug could be turned.

I remember when this was done, I was instructed to stand well back while two men removed the plug so the liquid fat could run into a big pan set on the ground. Another man would hold a screen over the hole in the inside of the pot so the solids wouldn't run out with the hot liquid.

On one occasion I rememver some fat splashing onto the pantsleg of one of the men, who immediately began cursing. My grandfather clapped his hands over my ears so I missed most of it but I learned more than I should have that day.........

Compared to what one hears all the time nowadays, it was pretty tame.

A drain plug near the bottom of the pan...what a great idea. I never knew until now that something like that ever existed. I've been toying with the idea of buying a "sun tea" jar with a spigot near the bottom and using that to drain the stock off the bottom when I'm defatting it. The spigot's too high off the bottom, though, and would need something food-safe to take up some of that bottom space.

This thread is bringing up some wonderfully written reminiscences.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I am now wondering about the provenance of my fry pan. Does anyone know of a source to research that? Most of the cooking things are at my sister's house. We keep saying that we are going to go through it. I can see a cat fight in my future.

*cue commercial music*

Those of you having difficulties posting pictures, [drum roll] Check This Out.

Now back to our programming.

*cue commercial music*

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 7 months later...

Thought it might be fun to see and talk about what treasures members inherited from grandma or someone else. Not purchased at the flea market or on e-bay. Tell the story – make grandma proud.

One of my proudest kitchen possessions is a Model 1B3 Toastmaster toaster that I inherited from my long departed Grandmother Minnie. She told me she purchased it in the thirties in NYC and that it cost at least a week's wages. It weighs 5lbs. 4 oz. is made of brass and mica with bakelite handles. It has a clockwork timer. It was manufactured by Waters-Genter Co. of Mpls Minn USA and carries a serial number of 185881. I figure its now some 70 years old.

Its beautiful and makes wonderful toast. Its missing the timer adjuster knob and I have replaced the cord several times over the years.

Here it is, Enjoy and please show me your treasure and tell its story.

gallery_38003_2160_194246.jpg I know my Grandma is proud - make yours proud.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

i inherited both my great-grandmother's recipt book and the copy that she gave my grandmother for christmas 1934. course some of the recipes had to be clarified a bit since we no longer use a woodfired oven. there are even a few entries from my mom such as her pie dough recipe "1 lb. lard, 4 cups flour, salt. squiggle up. makes 2 pies".

with recipes like coffee gelatin(my great-uncle can's favorite for holidays), my grandmother's wedding cake and the soft molasses cookies from my childhood i was almost thinking of doing a Julia/Julie and trying to cook through all the recipes...green tomato mincemeat anyone?

from john's grandmother we inherited two heavy pottery bowls that i use especially for brining and making things like sauerbrauten.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

from john's grandmother we inherited two heavy pottery bowls that i use especially for brining and making things like sauerbrauten.

Thanks for joining in -- I know there were treasures out there. Could you see your way clear and post some snaps.

And you are right, I've also got a box of heirloom recipes. Perhaps this could be another thread.

Thanks again,

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Thanks for joining in -- I know there were treasures out there. Could you see your way clear and post some snaps.

And you are right, I've also got a box of heirloom recipes. Perhaps this could be another thread.

Thanks again,

Jmahl

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

i inherited both my great-grandmother's recipt book and the copy that she gave my grandmother for christmas 1934.  course some of the recipes had to be clarified a bit since we no longer use a woodfired oven.  there are even a few entries from my mom such as her pie dough recipe "1 lb. lard, 4 cups flour, salt.  squiggle up.  makes 2 pies". 

with recipes like coffee gelatin(my great-uncle can's favorite for holidays), my grandmother's wedding cake and the soft molasses cookies from my childhood i was almost thinking of doing a Julia/Julie and trying to cook through all the recipes...green tomato mincemeat anyone?

I think that's a great idea. These are the original "slow foods" and I believe we can really learn something from them. I made a grape pie for thanksgiving which used Concord grapes with seeds in them. When I was making it, it occured to me that with the development of new foods like seedless grapes some of these old recipes will be lost along with the heirloom breeds of fruit and vegetables.

Also, I marvel at the resourcefulness of our ancestors who had to be creative with fewer tools and ingredients, especially during hard times.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I inherited quite a few things from my grandmother including a couple of cookbooks with handwritten notes, but my favorite is a set of dessert forks that she bought when she was living in Kyoto over 40 years ago.

My grandfather spent 2 years teaching at Kyoto University in the early 60's and though I have received many of the souvenirs from that trip my Japanese friends always find it exciting when they find out they are using forks bought by my grandmother in Japan 40 years earlier.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

That's one Great Toaster!

Water-Genter Co was formed in 1921 to manufacture Strites toasters for restaurants. In 1926 they introduced the the first pop-up toater for home use, the Toastmaster 1-A-1.

Starting in 1936 Toastmasters came with a pneumatic shock absorber for the bread carriage, and in 1939 they introduced the hinged crumb tray.

Your 1-B-3 is probably from the early 1930's, since the 1-B-5 (which looks almost the same), was produced from 1934-36.

www.toastercentral.com/toaster30s.htm

SB (and a nice a-B-5 sells for $265 today!) :smile:

I made a grape pie for thanksgiving which used Concord grapes with seeds in them. When I was making it, it occured to me that with the development of new foods like seedless grapes some of these old recipes will be lost along with the heirloom breeds of fruit and vegetables.

Search no further than RecipeGullet for my great-grandmother's Grape Pie!

Not only did I inherit her recipe box, each recipe written in spidery cursive with a fountain pen, I also have her wooden spoon and three-tined fork. I also have a big stash of embroidered and emblished linens from my grandmothers and their mothers. Some of these are so fragile that I am in the process of framing some of them.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I made a grape pie for thanksgiving which used Concord grapes with seeds in them. When I was making it, it occured to me that with the development of new foods like seedless grapes some of these old recipes will be lost along with the heirloom breeds of fruit and vegetables.

Search no further than RecipeGullet for my great-grandmother's Grape Pie!

Not only did I inherit her recipe box, each recipe written in spidery cursive with a fountain pen, I also have her wooden spoon and three-tined fork. I also have a big stash of embroidered and emblished linens from my grandmothers and their mothers. Some of these are so fragile that I am in the process of framing some of them.

I have a treasured hand-embroidered and cutwork apron made by my great grandmother.

I have her embroidery frame she brought from England. I also have her cushion, pins, bobbins and patterns for bobbin lace. She made the most exquisite lace, as delicate as a spider-web. My christening gown was covered with it.

She always told me that she did needlework to keep her fingers nimble! A very Victorian lady!

I wear the apron on very special occasions. It is not a "working" apron. It was meant to be worn just for show.

To keep this thread going - this is a spoon that legend has it came from Tzarist Russia in steerage with my family. It is made of coin silver, measures 9" and has two hallmarks, the number 12 and a letter. I believe it is a soup spoon, huge and the only surviver that I know about to make to the fourth generation.

gallery_38003_2183_61724.jpg

Lets see or hear about your treasures. I now they are out there.

I'm getting ready to "inherit" some kitchen heirlooms.

One almost pleasant aspect of moving my parents into an assited living facility and putting their home on the market next month will be the chance to unearth family heirlooms. Since my mother and both of my grandmothers were avid cooks, a good percentage of these items will be kitchen related.

Neither of my parents were ever great savers of "stuff", but I know there are some dishes and linens, etc, nearly one hundred years old. My sister will probably want to save those things. I'm more interested in the tools and little knick knacks that lurk in the back of the drawers and cupboards.

Perhaps I'm blocking out some memories, (my father is afflicted with both Alzheimers and Parkinsons, so this has been a rather stressful period), but the only item I can think of at this moment is a wooden nutcracker my maternal granmother brought from the Old Country, (Serbia-Croatia).

It was like a thick wooden cup, and a large wooden screw with a T-handle threaded through one side. You dropped the nut in and tightened the screw. As I recall, It worked especially well on walnuts. Every year at this itme, as Grandma Baich prepared to make potica and Christmas cookies, it got quite a workout.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other interesting items evoking bittersweet memories as the process gets underway. I'll let you know.

SB (unfortunately, photographicly challenged)

Edited by srhcb (log)

• 3 weeks later...

An heirloom that I inherited from my Grandparents who lived in the Bronx on Clay Avenue and 170th Street. I remember seeing this cutlery set being used at family gatherings in the 50’s, especially for Thanksgiving for carving the turkey. Now I use them for carving turkeys and roasts in Texas.

Its called a Chef’s Tier made in the U.S.A. The blades are marked “Englishtown Crafts.” My guess the set was manufactured in the early 50’s.

gallery_38003_2183_459155.jpg

In the top tier there is a steel, long carver and roast fork. In the bottom tier is a bread knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife and the monster Bowie knife. It’s the only knife I’ve ever seen like it. Edges on both sides. It looks impressive but not very useful.

The blades are all stainless steel, riveted to hard wood handles and nickel bolsters (is that what they are called.)

Wonderful set, not as useful as my Germen and French blades but still fun to use.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

My 100th post. I didn’t know I had this much to say.

Jmahl

Not only did I inherit her recipe box, each recipe written in spidery cursive with a fountain pen, I also have her wooden spoon and three-tined fork. 

When my grandmother moved into the nursing home, my mother packed up her old house. The following Christmas I volunteered to make Grandma's pies and asked for the recipes, only to get a blank look. "Where's Grandma's recipe box?" I asked my mom. "Oh, that battered old thing? The recipes were all crossed out and written on... I threw it out."

It was more than 15 years ago and I still haven't quite forgiven her.

Diane

• 2 weeks later...